• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dire England....again

Openside7

Academy Player
It would appear that England are intent on compounding what has been an increasingly awful performance throughout this year's Six Nations contest. A plodding pack, who don't seem to understand that control of the breakdown and fast ball is the key to performance. This is made worse by a barely adequate scrummage and a complete inability to adjust to what they are facing on the pitch.
I just don't understand what Eddie Jones is thinking and how this team is going to represent any kind of a prospect at the next World cup.

It would appear that England are intent on compounding what has been an increasingly awful performance throughout this year's Six Nations contest. A plodding pack, who don't seem to understand that control of the breakdown and fast ball is the key to performance. This is made worse by a barely adequate scrummage and a complete inability to adjust to what they are facing on the pitch.
I just don't understand what Eddie Jones is thinking and how this team is going to represent any kind of a prospect at the next World cup. I understand that England do not have an attack coach, which would seem to be a bit of an issue as well
Whats wrong with the scrummaging?

The English scrummage is technically quite poor and has been in trouble against every team it has played against for quite a while now. It scares nobody!

I mean Saracens scrum isn't exactly known for it's scrums any more.
Mako is not even Sarries best scrummaging LH currently at that with a TH who has been flogged for the past 1 and a bit and it's never going to be great.

Honestly i feel England need a coaching shake up.
Maybe not getting rid of them but hiring more.

Is Hatley the best scrum coach available? (He isn't imo better than Stanko, Although Stanko ain't leaving where he is so)
Who is coaching breakdown?
Eddie in his first year went with Smith, Ella, an Aussie rugby league player to help the 10's whose name i had forgotten. thats 3 extra coaches.
Should Vesty have gotten a full time gig after Argentina?

I thought we were really lucky in the scrums today,
I don't know much about scrummaging but Brian Moore was saying we were getting tuned despite the referee awarding us the penalties

The English scrum has largely been underpowered against all the major world teams. They have all got better and we have just got worse. With regard to coaches, I understand that England do not have an attack coach and I would agree that they need a significant shake-up. Borthwick and Hatley must be the key candidates in this respect; I would be seriously talking to the Exeter team as they are the best premiership team in most respects - especially the breakdown.

With regard to the breakdown situation, it is perhaps worth noting that the situation at the national team level is very different from the one that exists in the English premiership. At the national level, teams compete furiously and any runner who finds himself slightly isolated is a prime candidate to be turned over. In the premiership, teams compete much less, instead content to just fan out in defence. A situation that the English coaching team do not seem to understand, nor the players.

Being physically tired is definitely an issue, but not one of the main ones.
Lads have been flogged, there's a table going round of how much the England players have played compared to Welsh/Irish and in some cases it's twice as many games

Lads have been flogged, there's a table going round of how much the England players have played compared to Welsh/Irish and in some cases it's twice as many games
yeah thats what happens when your clubs are owned by people that dont give a sht about the players or the national team.
imo this was a huge problem of toddBlackadders when he was at the crusaders in that he was conscious of his ABs work loads and gave them them lots of rest.

yeah thats what happens when your clubs are owned by people that dont give a sht about the players or the national team.
imo this was a huge problem of toddBlackadders when he was at the crusaders in that he was conscious of his ABs work loads and gave them them lots of rest.

Please.
AB lose in the AI's, New Zealander's "it's because the players are tired" every single time.

Personally feel that lions tour should be finished now.
evil-laugh.gif

Could do with finding this table again I wanna show it some fake Irish at work

Could do with finding this table again I wanna show it some fake Irish at work
file.php

I also found a post I made about it at the time (Mid January):
"a quick look on statbunker suggests that it's just Premiership, so not including AIs or Champions Cup (they have Lawes with 812 Prem minutes + 400 EPCR + 210 AIs)"

Last edited:
It's quite an old table from around the AI's I believe but it does go to show the English players are just not getting looked after. The management from Ireland is great and it obviously really helps the team and the individuals. I don't believe this is the root of the problems but it certainly doesn't help.

It's quite an old table from around the AI's I believe but it does go to show the English players are just not getting looked after. The management from Ireland is great and it obviously really helps the team and the individuals. I don't believe this is the root of the problems but it certainly doesn't help.
Google Image search first shows in on January 20th, on twitter and reddit; my post sharing it was January 20th around mid-day.
The maths for Lawes, Watson and Joseph all add-up to it being Premiership (or Top14/Pro14) only, up to including the 12-13th of January

The trouble is, the gap between the most games played and the least is quite vast, as pointed out. But where is the line crossed of too many games played? These are professional rugby players supposedly at peak fitness. You say England are not looking after their players but, this is the wealthiest RU pretty much in the world I would imagine. They have the best of everything. So, 'too many games?' TBH honest, like you, this isn't the root of the problems.

Latest posts