• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dan Vickerman passes away

Nope, and the cause has not yet been determined.

Very sad indeed. RIP.

Too many former Rugby pros have died prematurely in the last 2 years. Lomu, Foley, Van der Westhuizen, Lauaki and now Vickerman.

Last edited:
Poor bugger if he did take his own life. Got to feel for his missus and kids.
RIP Dan. Thanks for the memories.

suicide is the biggest killer of men under the age of 50, so is statistically likely.
Terrible news whatever illness caused his death

This thread seemed the most appropriate to post this interview with Kearnan Myall. Mods pls move it if you think otherwise.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...l-england-players-mental-health-training-camp

Sobering reading.

As we build up to the RWC, we'll live in the moment and toss out a load of comments like X player's crap or Y player's past it. That's all part of it, but just worth a pause to consider that none of those players are superman, each carries their own issues and demons that we won't know about, and that's before they have their professional capabilities publicly ripped apart by fans and press every week.

Terribly sad news. I'm 37 myself. I can only imagine the grief of his family. I hope they have a lot of support. RIP, The Other Big Vic.

I am going through a pretty hard time myself at the moment in my life. But I have found being self-compassionate to myself has really helped me. This includes the mindfulness alluded that Myall talks about in the article OH posted up and some meditation exercises. I really like it because it's not religious in it's concept; although it does borrow from Buddhism. It's something we can all tap into ourselves and if you are interested in looking into it and it helps you in your life please click on the link below to read into it. I hope it can help you if you need it.

Self-compassion is made of three things:

1. Self kindness
2. Common Humanity
3. Mindfulness.

This concept contrasts to self-esteem which is contingent on success. Self compassion is not.

https://self-compassion.org/

I am going through a pretty hard time myself at the moment in my life. But I have found being self-compassionate to myself has really helped me. This includes the mindfulness alluded that Myall talks about in the article OH posted up and some meditation exercises. I really like it because it's not religious in it's concept; although it does borrow from Buddhism. It's something we can all tap into ourselves and if you are interested in looking into it and it helps you in your life please click on the link below to read into it. I hope it can help you if you need it.

Self-compassion is made of three things:

1. Self kindness
2. Common Humanity
3. Mindfulness.

This concept contrasts to self-esteem which is contingent on success. Self compassion is not.

https://self-compassion.org/
Great post. We've lost our sense of compassion because people in the West have lost their religion. Compassion is in every religion. But if you're not religious self-compassion will do just as well.

I know nothing about the person outside rugby but the player was underrated, a brilliant lineout forward. I'll remember that.

Great post. We've lost our sense of compassion because people in the West have lost their religion. Compassion is in every religion. But if you're not religious self-compassion will do just as well.

Yeah, you made a really good point. I think the whole hell thing is very off putting for a lot of people as illustrated by the whole Izzy saga. The world has changed since 2000 years and society has changed.

I really do think this Self Compassion concept can help a lot of people because it crosses through every divide. At it's very heart is our common humanity, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation or religion. I don't want anyone to get to the point of suicide and if this concept can contribute to helping them to seek the help they need to avoid it then it can only be a good thing. Thoughts and prayers are too late by then when the victim chooses the route of suicide. I am not going to say that the this would have saved DV. I have no idea how hard it was to come to the decision he did. I am sure it wasn't easy and he must have been past he point of no return that even thinking of how it would affect his family did not stop him.

But what I also like is that everyone can choose to be more self compassionate to themselves; it is not rammed down you throat. And if you don't want to it is always there if you need it and life hands you or your loved ones a **** hand. I have found it a very self empowering experiences and hope to continue to study and implement it in my life.

Latest posts