• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup Semi Final 1: Natal Sharks - Blue Bulls (20/10/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
It's play-off time lads! In the past 10 weeks, we have seen all 6 teams play each other home and away. The strength-versus-strength format SARU wanted to implement by decreasing the number of teams has worked wonders. The defending champions Golden Lions only lost twice against one team, the Griquas from Kimberley. Griquas is seen as the minnow next to the big 5 but they still managed to beat the Lions twice, score 4 tries against the Bulls and were close to making the play-offs for the first time in 12 years. By ending 5th, Griquas is the only team who is done for 2012. They are out of contention for the championship and escape the promotion/relegation matches against the Eastern Province Kings. The remaining four teams will battle for the cherished Cup. Log-leaders Natal Sharks will host the Blue Bulls in a re-match of the 2010 semi-final while Western Province has to travel to Johannesburg to face the Golden Lions in a re-match of the 2011 semi-final between the teams.

Natal Sharks.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Blue Bulls.png

The first semi-final will be played in Durban where the most consistent team in SA rugby, the Sharks will look to earn a spot in their 4th final in 5 years. The Blue Bulls will try to shrug off a painful and frustrating season that saw them 6th on the log for several weeks. Only when their Springbok players returned last week they showed some of the class we can expect from them. It will be a close encounter and if history teaches us anything, it's that these two teams bring out the best in each other.

The Sharks played Griquas last week and their Springboks did not have to add a lot to beat Griquas. Only Patrick Lambie and Marcell Coetzee jumped from Bok duty straight into the starting line-up. The half-back combination of Reinach and Lambie looks to be the real deal. Both players just looked comfortable together and if they can flourish the same way, the Blue Bulls team will be in for a difficult afternoon next week.

The Bulls team has added Morne Steyn and Juandre Kruger as the most important Boks to the team since last week and a 50-point win against the Golden Lions clinched the play-off spot for the Pretoria-team. Who will win is difficult to say but if history is anything to go by and this turns out to be a repeat of 2010, a final between the Sharks and Western Province in Durban would be the result.

Mark Lawrence is the referee in this encounter. Lawrence has reffed the sharks 25 times in Currie cup in the last ten years, of which they won 17! 11 were at home(won 9) and 14 away(won 8). He has reffed the bulls 23 times in the same period, of which they won 15. Eight were at home(won 7) and 15 away(won 8).

Lawrence handling a sharks/bulls encounter, sharks won five, and bulls one, the only bulls win coming at durban in 2006. 2007,2008,2009 and this year in durban were won by the sharks, as was 2011 in pretoria.

In ten years of currie cup action, sharks have met bulls 21 times, winning 13, with 8 going the way of the bulls. Of these 21 games, 11 were played in durban, with the sharks prevailing 9 times. The 2 blots on the record books are the 2006 Lawrence game (32-50), as well as in 2004 (23-27).

I'm pretty confident we can take the Lions. As for the final... well, I hope the Bulls somehow catch the Sharks off guard this weekend as I think the ***le is the Sharks' to lose TBH.

The Bulls are peaking at the right time my friends... Naas Botha's famous quote "Die Currie Cup word nie in Augustus gewen nie" is once again the major factor.

I think the Bulls stand a very good chance of beating the Sharks...

And I think the Weepee will also beat the lions...

The biggest talking point for the Bulls this week was, who will play scrumhalf?? As the Bulls coach was struggling to pick between Hougie and Vermaak, switching between them the whole week, while the rest of the team remained consistant.

Also think this for the Sharks to loose
Plumbie messes up when the pressure is on and his team follows suit

Still be a blinder of the game, going neutral into this one

Mark Lawrence will be the referee for this semi final.

We have also names our team:
15. Louis Ludik
14. JP Pietersen
13. Paul Jordaan
12. Tim Whitehead
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Pat Lambie
9. Cobus Reinach
8. Keegan Daniel (Capt)
7. Jean Deysel
6. Marcell Coetzee
5. Anton Bresler
4. Jandre Marais
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Kyle Cooper
1. Dale Chadwick
Replacements
16. Craig Burden
17. Tendai Mtawarira
18. Wiehahn Herbst
19. Steven Sykes / Peet Marais
20. Willem Alberts
21. Charl McLeod
22. Meyer Bosman

http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/news/general/121018/50_Up_for_Deysel

Why on earth not play Craig Burden, he is a match winner

Why on earth not play Craig Burden, he is a match winner

Cooper has been impressive so far. Burden will provide plenty of power off the bench.
I like the way Plum has managed the Springboks so far, we will have to see whether it pays off.

I hope Eze doesn't see the 5-2 bench split!

Cooper has been impressive so far. Burden will provide plenty of power off the bench.
I like the way Plum has managed the Springboks so far, we will have to see whether it pays off.

I hope Eze doesn't see the 5-2 bench split!

The Bulls team is unchanged from the team that smashed the Lions last week also going for a 5-2 split on the Bench...

Teams performed as they did all season, no surprises here

Decent performance. I'll take the win, but we really need to step it up if we want to beat WP.
Disappointed with Cooper, very poor darts at times. Start Mtawarira and Burden. Apart from that, same 22.

This is going to be a looooong week.

Remember this from this fixture two years ago?

beeskp.jpg

Last edited:
Bulls have only themselves to blame for the loss, poor discipline and an outdated game plan. Come on the kick and chase worked 5 years ago it's time to move on already.

Bulls have only themselves to blame for the loss, poor discipline and an outdated game plan. Come on the kick and chase worked 5 years ago it's time to move on already.

Yeah we got our asses handed to us! I was swearing so much at Francois Hougaard with those 2 box kick attempts that were both charged down.

We were awful, no wait, we were Kak! Kakker than the EP Kings!!

Pine Pienaar as good as he was in his first season last year, just went on a downward slope from there this year... Some serious thinking and planning needs to happen at the Bulls Camp. our kicking game needs to change, plain and simple. I guess Heyneke Meyer could join the planning team as it would assist him as well.

Latest posts