• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: GWK Griquas - Western Province (03-09-2011, 15:00 GMT)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

GWK Park, Kimberley (03-09-2011, 15:00 GMT)

GWK%20Griquas.png
Versus%20Super.png
Western%20Province.png

Kimberley has proven to be a difficult destination in the Absa Currie Cup this year, with GWK Griquas winning three out of their four matches thus far at GWK Park, including victories over the Sharks and the Toyota Free State Cheetahs.

And even though DHL Western Province crushed Griquas in the corresponding fixture last year, they will still be mindful of the danger posed by the team from the Northern Cape.

DHL WP coach Allister Coetzee has urged his players to protect the ball better when they have possession.

“It is going to be tough against Griquas. Last year's trip to Kimberley was probably the turning point in our season, but we know it is not going to be easy. They will be confident after a good display last week,†said Coetzee.

“We know we will have to respect the ball this week. They are excellent at counter attacking and have a lot of players who can punish you. It will be vital to be accurate, to play the game in the correct areas and to capitalise when we are in those areas.

“Last week (against the Pumas) the bounce of the ball was not there for us, but no excuses we had plenty of chances that we did not take. That is what we are looking to change against Griquas â€" we need to be more clinical when we create opportunities.â€

GWK Griquas vs DHL Western Province
Date: Saturday, 3 September
Kick-off: 15:00
Venue: GWK Park, Kimberley
Referee: Marius Jonker
Last three meetings in Absa Currie Cup:
• 7 August 2010: DHL WP won 50-3 in Kimberley
• 24 September 2010: DHL WP won 48-32 in Cape Town
• 16 July 2011: Draw 26-26 in Cape Town

Griquas can do this, WP got a few bumps and lost a player or two in an average performance against the Leopards, whilst the Griquas were extremely entertaining in the closing minutes of the game against the Cheetahs.

Interesting to see Riaan Viljoen at fly-half, lets see how he fairs

Griquas

Team: 15. Rudi Vogt, 14. Rocco Jansen, 13. Wilmaure Louw, 12. Hanno Coetzee, 11. Dusty Noble, 10. Riaan Viljoen, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Jonathan Mokuena (Captain), 7. Davon Raubenheimer, 6. Justin Downey, 5. Martin Muller, 4. Hendrik Roodt, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Ryno Barnes, 1. Ivann Espag

Replacements: 16. Simon Westraadt, 17. Steph Roberts, 18. Frikkie Spies, 19. Marnus Schoeman, 20. Marnus Hugo, 21. Jean Stemmet, 22. Earl Rose

Western Province

Team: 15. Conrad Jantjes, 14. Danie Poolman, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Marcel Brache, 11. JJ Engelbrecht, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Dewaldt Duvenage, 8. Nick Koster, 7. Tertius Daniller, 6. Nick Fenton-Wells, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Hilton Lobberts, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Tiaan Liebenberg (Captain), 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16. Siyabonga Ntubeni, 17. Frans Malherbe, 18. Quinn Roux, 19. Nizaam Carr, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Berton Wesley Klaasen, 22. Steven Hunt

Griquas been VERY impressive so far, annihilating Western Province with immense rucking and strong running. Must have at least 75% possession and territory.

And I wish Afrikaans people wouldn't speak so fast, struggling to understand what the ref is saying when talking to the players

Lead 15-0 with 24 minutes gone

You should really learn the language. I have been back in Holland for 2 years and I can even understand what they are saying ;)

WP getting back into the game. Nick Koster with a try and 15-12 with a conversion to come

I can understand the little conversations, it's the ones where he takes the two captains aside and just speaks for a minute without a breath. To be honest I probably struggle to understand English speakers who talk fast too, but it just seems as though every Afrikaans speaker could be a rap artist they talk so fast.

The scary thing is, I got a B- for Afrikaans :eek: and often got the highest mark in the second set at school.

Province getting back into this, Koster and Leibenberg tries, 15-14

What on earth is wrong with the kickers today? There is barely a breeze!

Last edited:
Man o man, Rudi Vogt misses a certain penalty almost in front of the posts.... This is not good.

Duvenhage with a try, well... That's about it. 21-15 still in the first half

And I hope Viljoens sudden obsession with drop goals doesn't come with him to Durbs.

People clapped him and all, but Frans Steyn made me sick trying to full his quota of 5 attempts a game with no success.

Griquas? What are you doing!?! Only a shadow of the team they were 18 minutes ago. WP lead 21-15

Well, the Sharks were in front during half-time in Kimberley as well. We'll see what they can come up with in the second half

Yeah, but we're s***e :p

Griquas can turn this around, no doubt about that. The question is for how many more games can they remain competitive after falling behind? Even against the Bok-less Big 5 they have tended to struggle to get back into games once behind in the later stages of the season.

Why didn't they kick for goal now? Don't tell me they have lost all their confidence in Vogt now? What about Viljoen? Poor decision to go for touch IMO.

And now WP have got their 4th try... Making Jantjes look stellar now, he's been sub-par the whole season at best.
Mistake by Poolman with a kick leads to a Griquas try, which is converted. 26-22 to WP

Yaaassssss!!!! Griquas score a try, Manus Schoeman.
Griquas lead 32-31

Last edited:
Yeah, but we're s***e :p

Griquas can turn this around, no doubt about that. The question is for how many more games can they remain competitive after falling behind? Even against the Bok-less Big 5 they have tended to struggle to get back into games once behind in the later stages of the season.

Why didn't they kick for goal now? Don't tell me they have lost all their confidence in Vogt now? What about Viljoen? Poor decision to go for touch IMO.

And now WP have got their 4th try... Making Jantjes look stellar now, he's been sub-par the whole season at best.
Mistake by Poolman with a kick leads to a Griquas try, which is converted. 26-22 to WP

Yaaassssss!!!! Griquas score a try, Manus Schoeman.
Griquas lead 32-31

:p

A bit lucky to come through in the end thanks to some woefull cover defense from Sarel Pretorius but we'll take it LOL.

Man, I would love to see Griquas in the play offs. Imagine that! A play off without the Bulls hahahaha

:p

A bit lucky to come through in the end thanks to some woefull cover defense from Sarel Pretorius but we'll take it LOL.

To tell the truth, I would have pinged Englebrecht (I think it was him) for knocking over Rose for one of the last tries. Thought I saw contact between the WP players knee/ shin and Rose, however I can understand if the refs didn't judge it as sufficient. Just from the replays looked as though JJ had a mischievous look about him, whilst Rose had sufficient pace to make it to the ball and had no reason to try and con a penalty.

Anyhooooo... Yon Greek fly-half, think I'll just call him Kastri, is out for the Leopards game, whilst Vermuelen doesn't look like recovering sufficiently by the time of the final.