• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Cheetahs - Pumas @ FS Stadium, Bloemfontein (20-08-2011, 14:00 GMT)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein (20-08-2011, 14:00 GMT)
Free%20State%20Cheetahs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Pumas.png

Even though the Pumas have not won a game thus far in the Currie Cup, the Free State Cheetahs will not be taking this match in the Free State Stadium on Saturday afternoon lightly.

The Free Staters come off a defeat last weekend against the Golden Lions in Johannesburg, but played very well a week before when they beat Western Province in Bloemfontein.

"We didn't play well against the Golden Lions, especially in the first half, and we need to improve. But it's not going to be easy against the Pumas - they were unlucky to lose against the Blue Bulls, the Sharks and the Golden Lions, " said Cheetahs coach Naka Drotske.

"We would've liked to do some squad rotation, but we have too many injuries and can't really af to rest anyone, while the Pumas are very difficult opponents. "

Cheetahs-Pumas.jpg

After five near losses Jimmy Stonehouse, coach of the Pumas, said: "It can't carry on like this, that victory simply has to come. The spirit in the team is amazing and we're keeping our heads up. We'll just have to try again this weekend, even if we know it will be very difficult in Bloemfontein.

"The Cheetahs have a very mobile pack and will probably try to move us around a bit, but I think we can match them upfront. "

Stonehouse has had to appoint a new captain in JW Jonker after regular skipper Corné Steenkamp was ruled out with a knee injury. The Pumas have also lost Marius Coetzer (hand) and Shaun Venter (concussion), two of their more experienced players.

Free State Cheetahs vs Pumas
Date: Saturday, 20 August
Kick-off: 15:00
Venue: Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
Referee: Pro Legoete
Last year in Currie Cup:
- 7 August: FS Cheetahs won 45-30 in Witbank
- 24 September: FS Cheetahs won 59-24 in Bloemfontein

I like the cheetahs style of play, and think that they will win this match comfortably, despite the Pumas having some close results so far in the Currie cup ... should be a great match ... I might not catch this one live, as I might be distracted by another game being played in South Africa this weekend :D

Too much from the Cheetahs for the Pumas to handle away from home, Cheetahs should be looking to increase their points difference here

Free State Cheetahs: 15 Riaan Smit, 14 Philip Snyman, 13 Robert Ebersohn, 12 Corné Uys, 11 Ryno Benjamin, 10 Sias Ebersohn, 9 Tewis de Bruyn, 8 Boom Prinsloo, 7 Pieter Labuschagne, 6 Johan Wessels, 5 Izak van der Westhuizen, 4 Francois Uys, 3 WP Nel, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Coenie Oosthuizen.
Replacements: 16 Hercu Liebenberg, 17 Marcel van der Merwe, 18 Ockert van Zyl, 19 Pieter Myburgh, 20 Enrico Acker, 21 Johan Goosen, 22 Philip Burger.

Pumas: 15. Carl Bezuidenhout, 14. Johan Jackson, 13. JW Jonker (Captain), 12. Tiaan Marx, 11. MJ Mentz, 10. Ricardo Croy, 9. Tian Carel Meyer, 8. Christo le Roux, 7. RW Kember, 6. Jaco Bouwer, 5. Eduan Van Der Walt, 4. Rudi Mathee, 3. Ashley Buys, 2. Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1. De-Jay Terblanche
Replacements: 16. Pellow van der Westhuizen, 17. Dawie Steyn, 18. Willem Serfontein, 19. JP Mostert, 20. Hendrik van der Nest, 21. Siviwe Magaba, 22. Deon Scholtz

Defence has been non-existent in this game today, Cheetahs aiming for a century of point here.

Leading 80-16 going into the last few minutes, Johan Goosen showing off with a 50 odd metre drop-goal with the Cheetahs leading 70-11.

Pumas have been absolutely dire, haven't seen the stats but I'd say they've missed more tackles than they've made.

Latest posts