• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Currie Cup 2017] Premier Division - Semi Finals (21 October 2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Natal%20Sharks.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Blue%20Bulls.png

Venue: Growthpoint Kings Park
Time: 14:30 CAT

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Western%20Province.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Golden%20Lions.png

Venue: DHL Newlands Stadium
Time: 17:00

If i don't show an interest in the Currie Cup this year then i'm a **** supporter. The Sharks are doing very well. Rob du Preez said before the previous game against WP that they will play their best team because they would not like to lose their last game before the semis. And then they did actually lose their last game (Same thing happened in Super rugby, we lost our last league game against the Lions before the semis).
Im hoping that the players just wasn't that motivated to win in what was a dead rubber for them.

Both games should be fun to watch. Bulls are playing better but i cant see them pulling of an upset away from home. If they do then i will have much more respect for Mitchell for an amazing turnaround strategy.

The lions vs WP match will be interesting as we will see what the Lions are capable of with their new coach and some of their Springboks back. WP is playing well and at home so this should be a real test for them.

Score predictions:
Sharks 28 Bulls 18
WP 33 Lions 30

I think the Bulls have been improving every game since John Mitchell took over.

I think the Sharks should be worried about them more than in the beginning of the tournament.

But with that said, the Bulls have been bleeding tries far too much, and if they can't measure up defensively, then the Sharks should take it easily.

I mean, we have no other rugby this weekend, we may as well talk about this.

I really have not followed this tournament much this year, I would check the results every now and again, but to me it felt like I was checking up on Vodacom Cup results instead of the Currie Cup. It just feels so watered down to me, we have no Springboks, players in Japan and then the second team of the Cheetahs. I think these games will be quite competitive though, with a lot of teams stepping up their game at the end of the season.

I mean, we have no other rugby this weekend, we may as well talk about this.

I really have not followed this tournament much this year, I would check the results every now and again, but to me it felt like I was checking up on Vodacom Cup results instead of the Currie Cup. It just feels so watered down to me, we have no Springboks, players in Japan and then the second team of the Cheetahs. I think these games will be quite competitive though, with a lot of teams stepping up their game at the end of the season.

It's a pity you feel like that. But perhaps this coming weekend should be more attractive to you.

It's the 4 Super Rugby teams, and a lot of the guys playing, will in all likelihood be part of the squad for next year's tournament. I think there are in all the teams a few new faces to take note of, because they will become more household names if they keep up their performances.

It's a pity you feel like that. But perhaps this coming weekend should be more attractive to you.

It's the 4 Super Rugby teams, and a lot of the guys playing, will in all likelihood be part of the squad for next year's tournament. I think there are in all the teams a few new faces to take note of, because they will become more household names if they keep up their performances.

Is it just me though? I feel like it has been a gradual thing in SA that every year we move forward, the less the Currie Cup is starting to mean. It also seems that the general public isn't as invested in it either with more emptier stadiums than we have seen in the past. It just feels like a development tournament. I guess I have also been doing a bit more overseas work this year which has made it difficult to keep up with the tournament week in and week out, but surely I'm not the only one here?

Its definitely not as intense as it used to be during to group stages but the Finals series has actually always been very tight and fun to watch.
The games this weekend will be entertaining you can be sure of that. The Rugby we have seen in the last few weeks have been good and credit to the unions. Yes the stadiums are empty but it is what it is.
By watching these games you will get a sense of where we as a rugby playing country are moving towards in terms of play style and talent produced.

Is it just me though? I feel like it has been a gradual thing in SA that every year we move forward, the less the Currie Cup is starting to mean. It also seems that the general public isn't as invested in it either with more emptier stadiums than we have seen in the past. It just feels like a development tournament. I guess I have also been doing a bit more overseas work this year which has made it difficult to keep up with the tournament week in and week out, but surely I'm not the only one here?

Surely you aren't. But this year is also a bit more an exception to the rule than other years with the whole Pro14, the Super 18 and the June internationals.

SARU has even admitted that the Currie Cup took a backseat this year and will look at restructuring it next year.

Also, we have to remember that SARU lost a lot of big name brands as sponsors, and with the Currie Cup, ABSA was the biggest sponsor to withdraw, the financial ramifications did take a toll.

At least this year SARU managed to secure new sponsors, and I think next year things will be better an different.

But with that said, I still love to watch the CC when it's on.

I'm extremely peeved that Marx/Skosan/Coetzee/Cronje/Dreyer are all playing this weekend, and Etzebeth/Kitsoff/PsdT/Kolisi/De Allende are at the conditioning camp.
I know there is probably a rational explanation but I'm still livid. Suddenly we look seriously outclassed, the one Bok we kept (Leyds) just replaced Willemse who was already a decent option.

The reason is the players for Western Province are contracted Springboks, whereas the Lions players are not, therefore they are not bound to not play in the tournament.

The reason is the players for Western Province are contracted Springboks, whereas the Lions players are not, therefore they are not bound to not play in the tournament.
Makes sense but still makes me annoyed. As I said whatever the rational reason, it's now esentially the Lions SR side vs the WP currie cup side.
Now I know that's just kind of how it is, but throughout the international season, the sides make due without their Bokke, then after the international season ends the Bokke rejoin their teams. I'm on board with all of this. My problem comes in when one team gets all their Bokke back and the other team doesn't, ruining the potential contest.

I might just be annoyed because I'm going to the game, and feel like I'm going to witness I hiding haha.

Anyway I still think we have a good chance, our team is fair, but Marx and almost a Springbok backline is going to be a hard mountain to climb.

Had to work today but I managed to catch a little bit of the game on the radio before the Soweto Derby took over. Was very angry, as I was delayed in tuning in and only started listening after the yellow. 5 stations covering one soccer game and free to watch on TV but we only get the first half of the first CC semi on one english station IF we're lucky. All I'm saying is that if the SABC was a tad more fair with coverage of our (local) rugby perhaps the CC wouldn't be in trouble in terms of supporter interest and just maybe we would be doing better on the transformation front?

Anyways, I'm probably being ungrateful and should be happy that we can at least catch the national games uninterrupted most of time just upsetting to me that forking out the cash for dstv or streaming data is not an option for the majority of South Africans most of the time. Suppose this is what we get with the corruption and mismanagement of the public broadcaster

From little I could gather it seems like the Sharks had little problem gaining the front foot, a few silly errors but they sounded hungry enough for the win. Will be free for the final and am very excited! Credit to Mitchell and the Bulls for the turnaround, very impressive after the initial stages and hopefully the start of a more dangerous BB team.

Last edited:
Just watched both these games:

Sharks v. Blue Bulls-

I thought this game was quite good and entertaining. I was particularly impressed with the Bulls passing and thought that they were unlucky in that they had two mistakes that were absolutely punished for tries by the Sharks. The Sharks forwards were better than the Bulls and that was the difference in the game. With the exception of Jackson I was impressed with the Bulls' backs.

W. Province v. Lions-

This game was of lower quality than the first one. I guess I should hand it to Province for putting the Lions away but I think that the Lions were inside Province's five meter line three times in the 2nd half and got zero points. Credit to Province's defense but when watching the game I thought that the Lions really bottled it.

My feeling is that the final will be more attritional and grinding like the 2nd game and that it won't be a classic. I think that the Sharks are the better all around team but we'll see if the greater experience of Province can shine through. Province might also have a mental edge having beat the Sharks in the final round.

As of right now I'll pick Province 27-24.

I am going to post about player performances on the Bok Squad thread.

Just watched both these games:

Sharks v. Blue Bulls-

I thought this game was quite good and entertaining. I was particularly impressed with the Bulls passing and thought that they were unlucky in that they had two mistakes that were absolutely punished for tries by the Sharks. The Sharks forwards were better than the Bulls and that was the difference in the game. With the exception of Jackson I was impressed with the Bulls' backs.

W. Province v. Lions-

This game was of lower quality than the first one. I guess I should hand it to Province for putting the Lions away but I think that the Lions were inside Province's five meter line three times in the 2nd half and got zero points. Credit to Province's defense but when watching the game I thought that the Lions really bottled it.

My feeling is that the final will be more attritional and grinding like the 2nd game and that it won't be a classic. I think that the Sharks are the better all around team but we'll see if the greater experience of Province can shine through. Province might also have a mental edge having beat the Sharks in the final round.

As of right now I'll pick Province 27-24.

I am going to post about player performances on the Bok Squad thread.

JT Jackson and Iwan van Zyl cost us the game. that knock on the try line to give the Sharks the easiest try ever, and that charge down kick that lead to the other try was our downfall.

We were our own worst enemy.

The WP vs. Lions game was a bit of a snorefest for me. I stopped watching after 50 minutes.

I think the Final will be a tussle. I just don't think the WP forwards will be able to handle the Sharks pack.

Latest posts