• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Currie Cup 2016] Premier Division Semi-Finals (15 October 2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Free%20State%20Cheetahs.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Golden%20Lions.png

Venue: Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein
Time: 15:00

Blue%20Bulls.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Western%20Province.png

Venue: Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Time: 18:00

I expected much more from the Lions ( Guess no time to gel ) but I will take the win :cool:

Their depth was severely lacking. Just shows, if you want to be the best, be the best in all departments.

Marnitz Boshoff isn't injured is he? Because as far as I know he was still contracted to the Lions until they got knocked out of this Currie Cup. But he was on the same flight as me last night, but the flight wasn't from Bloemfontein to Joburg, it was Cape Town to Joburg. Kinda shows how much he has fallen out of favour that he was allowed to take a weekend off in Cape Town while his team was playing in the Currie Cup semi. I hope he does well at Connacht.

Did you guys hear about the earthquake in Joburg yesterday??

It was due to all the Lions Supporters coming back to earth...

Did you guys hear about the earthquake in Joburg yesterday??

It was due to all the Lions Supporters coming back to earth...

To be fair though, it's generally the teams that are the least affected by Springbok selections that do well during the Currie Cup. The Lions were quite heavily affected by this, which is quite a change from the past three years where there has been limited selections from their squad.

To be fair though, it's generally the teams that are the least affected by Springbok selections that do well during the Currie Cup. The Lions were quite heavily affected by this, which is quite a change from the past three years where there has been limited selections from their squad.

They had most of their Springboks back. So I don't know really how it affected them. Their biggest problem was injuries, but then again, so did most of the teams that made the playoffs, apart from the Cheetahs.

It's really bad news with regards to Julian Redelinghuys who broke his neck during the Semi's. Apparently it's now a 50/50 call on whether he will ever play again.

They had most of their Springboks back. So I don't know really how it affected them. Their biggest problem was injuries, but then again, so did most of the teams that made the playoffs, apart from the Cheetahs.

It's really bad news with regards to Julian Redelinghuys who broke his neck during the Semi's. Apparently it's now a 50/50 call on whether he will ever play again.

Not really, the only Boks they had back were Faf who was a sub and Marx who was half in and out through the season (edit: and Julian). They were missing they two best loosies and their flyhalf. But what I am getting at is generally consistency is what wins you the Currie Cup nowadays. Players that have played with each other week in and week out throughout the Currie Cup and most of Super Rugby. Even getting Boks back provides a disruption to chemistry which has formed, which is probably why Faf was left on the bench. From what I can see without doing much analysis, that Cheetahs side is incredibly similar to their Super Rugby side and I am quite certain they are going to be the Champions this year.

I saw that, it doesn't look good for him. Even if he does come back, as a prop surely a weakness in his neck will significantly affect his game?

F### that's horrible :/

Not really, the only Boks they had back were Faf who was a sub and Marx who was half in and out through the season (edit: and Julian). They were missing they two best loosies and their flyhalf. But what I am getting at is generally consistency is what wins you the Currie Cup nowadays. Players that have played with each other week in and week out throughout the Currie Cup and most of Super Rugby. Even getting Boks back provides a disruption to chemistry which has formed, which is probably why Faf was left on the bench. From what I can see without doing much analysis, that Cheetahs side is incredibly similar to their Super Rugby side and I am quite certain they are going to be the Champions this year.

I saw that, it doesn't look good for him. Even if he does come back, as a prop surely a weakness in his neck will significantly affect his game?

The thing is that if we take the Blue Bulls as an example. Their Springbok players were available for selection not only for the Semi's but during the Springboks' home matches too, but Nollis Marais was hesitant to select them as he didn't want to break the continuity. Which I agree with you.

Marais only selected Rudy Paige for the semi's, and the only reason why he did that, was because Piet Van Zyl was out injured.

It shows that the Bulls are starting to build a strong team for the Super Rugby next year, and that they have enough depth.

Latest posts