TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
So with just 2 rounds left before the playoffs, I thought it's good to mention some players who have stood out during this Currie Cup.

Who do you think should be in contention for the EOYT for the Springboks, and who should feature in the Super Rugby next year?

Here's my list:

Marnus Schoeman (Griquas) - This guy has been talked about a lot, even before this year's Currie Cup. He has finally caught the eye of guys like Nick Mallett and John Mitchell. He's moving to the Pumas next year, and I think any of the Super Rugby teams would be lucky to have him.

Armand van der Merwe (Lions) - this little pocket rocket hooker of the Lions has made me smile a lot. 1. Because it's always great to see the fat guy run and score tries and 2. because he just doesn't give up. I would even have him as 3rd choice hooker for the EOYT.

Burger Odendaal (Blue Bulls) - Inside Centre of the Blue Bulls who has put in some monster tackles and crash balls to great effect. He will be a great back-up to Jan Serfontein.

Conrad Hoffman (Sharks) - I personally was very happy to see this guy back and playing. He had some great moments for the Sharks, and I hope he and Reinach will be the 2 scrummies for the Sharks next year.

Nizaam Carr - Just a very dynamic loose forward and has been the driving force behind WP topping the log IMO.

Seabelo Senatla - All I can say is I see life after Habana post 2015.

Juan de Jongh - Nothing new here but the stand in WP captain has been one of the top performers IMO.

Burger Odendaal - I've been very impressed and have kept a close eye since the Bulls/WP game. The guy has come in from the blue. Solid 12 for the Bulls there. I can very much see him shift Serfontein to 13 and Engelbrecht to the wing.

Marnus Schoeman - I've been surprised for 2 years now that some of the big teams havb't called on him for SR.

Armand van der Merwe - I'm hoping the Stormers might make him an offer still... actualy you can add the entire Lions front row.

Last edited:
Marnus Schoeman used to play for the Blue Bulls but he was never properly used hence he moved to Griquas. The Bulls tried to buy him back earlier in the year but Griquas blocked the move.

Jacques Du Plessis is continuing on from his SR form.

Marnus Schoeman used to play for the Blue Bulls but he was never properly used hence he moved to Griquas. The Bulls tried to buy him back earlier in the year but Griquas blocked the move.

Jacques Du Plessis is continuing on from his SR form.
A Bok in the making!

Latest posts