• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crusaders could play home game in London and Auckland

Wherever they decide to play in London they will pack the ground.
There won't be a spare seat in the house...it's just...it's as far away from home as you can get for a home match.

Whilst a decent idea in theory the logistics make it a nightmare. Would you be able to make two 20+ hour flights and play a game of top level rugby within a week. Not possible physically or mentally.

On a sidenote, am I the only one who gets annoyed when you see it written as SupeRugby? Just soooo wrong and it grinds my gears.

Wherever they decide to play in London they will pack the ground.
There won't be a spare seat in the house...it's just...it's as far away from home as you can get for a home match.

True, but i'm sure there's a few ex-pat Crusaders fans to make them feel at home ... I guess they would probably play against a South African side to lessen the travel for the other team ... I would probably pick the round 8 game against the Bulls, as the Crusaders have a bye round 7 allowing them plenty of time adjust/prepare for the match

Whilst a decent idea in theory the logistics make it a nightmare. Would you be able to make two 20+ hour flights and play a game of top level rugby within a week. Not possible physically or mentally.

On a sidenote, am I the only one who gets annoyed when you see it written as SupeRugby? Just soooo wrong and it grinds my gears.

IMO, they only way they could do it is to make it a Sunday game on a week after they had played a Friday night, then have a bye in the next round.

IMO, they only way they could do it is to make it a Sunday game on a week after they had played a Friday night, then have a bye in the next round.

Aye. similar to what they would do in the NFL.

Possibly Round 6 against the Sharks then

If they play in London the week before they play in SA it's not as bad, the time difference would only 2 or 3 hours. Flight from London to SA is around 10 hours (I think) so it's not ideal but not quite as bad as flying from and to NZ in the same week.

They are talking the round 6 game against the sharks on NZ Radio sport ... they will need the money this year, so maybe it will happen ... nobody from the crusaders has said anything tangible yet

They are talking the round 6 game against the sharks on NZ Radio sport ... they will need the money this year, so maybe it will happen ... nobody from the crusaders has said anything tangible yet

In an interview with Tony Veitch on RadioSport yesterday morning, Hamish Riach said that they (the Crusaders management) have not ruled out any option.

I think a Crusaders v Bulls/Sharks game at Twickenham would be fantastic. Surely it would be a sellout?.

I think it would be,
Even if people didn't really follow Super XV, there'd be a lot of All Black/Springbok names in the squads that would draw in the crowds

In an interview with Tony Veitch on RadioSport yesterday morning, Hamish Riach said that they (the Crusaders management) have not ruled out any option.

I think a Crusaders v Bulls/Sharks game at Twickenham would be fantastic. Surely it would be a sellout?.

Quite easily be a sell out but depends if it clashes with other games around the same time in the Aviva Premiership and possibly that of the Magners League. It would have the same factor as an NFL game at Wembley.

On Brendon Telfer's show on RadioSport today, they (no one from the Crusaders involved) were also suggesting that Millennium stadium would also be a good venue if it was available ... I guess two games over 3 weeks might not be workable, but they could play the Sharks and the Bulls there.

... I think their consensus was that the Sharks at Twickers, and the Bulls at Eden Park would be the way to go

Edit:- Here's a TV3 article on the options http://www.3news.co.nz/Crusaders-consider-a-move-to-London/tabid/317/articleID/201209/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Having a game up in England would be a great move!!! I'm sure it would sellout! And Eden Park is a home ground to half the Crusaders (as they are All Blacks) there are so many Cantab's in Auckland, but there are SOOOO Bulls supporters to...

I'd pay to see the Crusaders play the Sharks at Twickers...

If they do so, it will be impossible for to get my hands on a ticket.

The Sharks have said they will only make a decision after the Rebels game whether or not to accept the proposed plan to play at Twickers

Will be fantastic if it is, better time for me :D

There will also be a lot of South Africans there, enough to make the game feel like a hom one possibly?

Maybe i am Biased but i do think The Sharks would be the better option...Bulls play Boring brand of rugby; plus there are a lot more Sharks supporters in London than Bulle. Don't know if Bulls are even playing Crusaders away? Do u?

Last edited:

Latest posts