• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chiefs re-sign six players

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
[h=3]The Chiefs have confirmed they have re-signed six current players from their squad for the upcoming seasons.[/h]The Chiefs have confirmed they have re-signed six current players from their squad for the upcoming seasons.
Utility back Gareth Anscombe and prop Ben Tameifuna have re committed until 2014 while back, Andrew Horrell and hooker Rhys Marshall, prop Pauliasi Manu and lock Michael Fitzgerald have all re-signed until 2015.
Chiefs’ coach Dave Rennie said “They are all good players but more importantly, good men. We've been really impressed with the contribution these men have made to our club and are rapt they are committing beyond this year.â€
Popular prop Ben Tameifuna is proud to call Chiefs country home. “The coaching and the support the Chiefs environment provides is the best I have come across and they know how to get the best out of their players,†said Tameifuna.
Gareth Anscombe is grateful for the faith the defending champions have shown in him and New Zealand’s Investec Super Rugby top point scorer has excelled in the Chiefs environment.
The first five-eight who has spent much of the season playing out of position at fullback is rapt to have been offered a contract. “I am really enjoying the culture and the challenging environment which I believed has really helped grow my game and my confidence,†said Anscombe.
The Chiefs snapped up former NZ U20s hooker Rhys Marshall and identified the twenty year old as being a player with great potential. Due to injury Marshall was given his first start prior to playing any ITM Cup matches and the twenty year old has reveled in the game time he has received this year.
The Smedly Agricultural College graduate said “The culture, the coaching staff and the opportunities I have already been given were key factors in my decision.â€
Good news for the Chiefs, pity they didn't sign Anscombe till 2015 but their are building on a solid foundation.

Generally really good for the chiefs, looking forward to seeing More of Marshall.

I do find it strange how Manu came into the chiefs and basically dumped Toby Smith out. I don't know if Toby and Renee have a personality clash or what but it does seem like there is a story behind that mess.

it's true Manu has obviously come into the side with a lot of enthusiasm and worked really hard, basically been given another chance at a rugby carrier and given it everything. But I don't think he is a player with anywhere near the potential Smith has.

man some interesting talk about the chiefs.

Jamie Mackintosh signed
Israel Dagg being linked?
Tom Marshal linked as well?
Renee recons SBW is a sure bet to come back to the chiefs?

Dagg is interesting, I personally dont see it. though his style of play would fit well for the chiefs why would the Chiefs persue him when they have a number of players who have had staring roles at 15. Robinson has come on leaps and bounds, Horrell has proven to be more than capable and Anscombe filled the gap with distinction early this season.

Though you could argue that Dagg has not been a snug fit at the crusaders and he may be looking to move. If anyone has room for him it would be the Blues, With Ranger going they need a Drawcard and must have room in the budget. Piutau would be just as useful on the wing.

no talk about a halfback or lock yet that I know of with Craig Clarke and Leonard signed. Though with TKB one of NZ's top halfbacks and Pulu doing ok as his backup I doubt they will sign a top #9

chiefs seem to have a lot of pulling power, in particular with backs who want to work with Wayne Smith.

Latest posts