Captain De Jong

Kroc

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Captain South Africa

Now that we have reached the final of the Currie Cup premier division, on everybody's mind is, who is going to win the Cup. *More so, after listening to the commentary of the Supersport presenters after the WP vs Blue Bulls semi-final match, all they were talking about was which team in the final will have the best scrums and lineouts; who is going to dominate the set pieces; who is going to be the player of the tournament...?

In the midst of all these conversations, my question is whether people are missing the greatest achievement of the Currie Cup 2014? Is Juan De Jong going to be the first ever Black captain to win the Currie Cup? He has shown his natural ability to lead and to do it by example.

So here we go, let's ask the proffesionals to talk about this and recognise our stellar Bok who has shown why he is the best number 13 in SA.

From me to Mr. De Jong, well done Sir for leading WP to this year's Currie Cup final!

Who gives a crap what his skin colour is you racist prick. Is it an achievement to be coloured??

De Jongh with a 'h' at the end. I also think we should move on past first black guy to do this and first white guy to do that. But, yeah, a good 13 in some great form and I hope to see him get a recall as well, Kroc. Him, Dreyer, Schalk van der Merwe, Carr and Kriel all wouldn't look bad in green ATM. What a final it was!

Who gives a crap what his skin colour is you racist prick. Is it an achievement to be coloured??

Seems like the comment was said in not at all a dissenting way, but rather noting a significant moment in South African sport.

Being a colored captain to win the CC I think is significant. It's significant because it hasn't happened before. It is significant because it demonstrates the growing capabilities and potential colored athletes have in South African rugby, a historically white dominated sport. And it is significant because it demonstrates in my opinion, that there are enough colored athletes who are good enough to be selected on merit rather than an enforced quota. That's its relevancy. I'd love to see De Jongh run our at 12 for the Boks, I remember when he started playing being very impressed with his stepping ability but he seemed to fall out of favor and HM.

The tone and aggression of your posts makes me think it's maybe you who has the problem.

Last edited:
Sorry Gents...everything I said was meant in good spirit ... if I have offended anyone then I apologise... so to put everybody at ease, myself are a colored boy and proud of Mr De Jong achievement. Again apologies ...

don't apologies mate, it's a good point to raise and not in the slightest racist - it's a celebration of the mans achievement not a slur.

Seems like the comment was said in not at all a dissenting way, but rather noting a significant moment in South African sport.

Being a colored captain to win the CC I think is significant. It's significant because it hasn't happened before. It is significant because it demonstrates the growing capabilities and potential colored athletes have in South African rugby, a historically white dominated sport. And it is significant because it demonstrates in my opinion, that there are enough colored athletes who are good enough to be selected on merit rather than an enforced quota. That's its relevancy. I'd love to see De Jongh run our at 12 for the Boks, I remember when he started playing being very impressed with his stepping ability but he seemed to fall out of favor and HM.

The tone and aggression of your posts makes me think it's maybe you who has the problem.

It's maybe significant, and I agree that Spuitpoep's aggression is uncalled for, but it's not really a newsworthy story. Maybe newsworthy that a non-white Captain has won the trophy, but it's nothing to write home about. There is no need to make this another racial thing. JDJ was one of the most experienced players in the WP Currie Cup team, and a leader in the group. It's not about his race that it's a milestone, it's about his character and leadership abilities.

Sorry Gents...everything I said was meant in good spirit ... if I have offended anyone then I apologise... so to put everybody at ease, myself are a colored boy and proud of Mr De Jong achievement. Again apologies ...

Yeah, I don't think anyone other than Spuitpoep had an actual problem with your post. Personally though I am just tired of the race debate in SA and I expect it to rear it's head again when the Bok squad is announced so I am just not looking forward to that old debate this morning.

Yeah, I don't think anyone other than Spuitpoep had an actual problem with your post. Personally though I am just tired of the race debate in SA and I expect it to rear it's head again when the Bok squad is announced so I am just not looking forward to that old debate this morning.

Maybe, but I think the death of Bafana Bafana goalkeeper, Senzo Meyiwa will be the main focus of attention today.

Wow, someone makes a thread congratulating a good clubman for winning the CC and gets shat on and labeled as a racist. Wonderful job, I guess we will have to stick to lineups and scores.

That's not what he did, he congratulated him for being coloured, even calling that fact the greatest achievement of the CC. Its the very definition of racism.

No, from what I've read, he congratulated his leadership and skill.
Yes, he said it was the biggest achievement of 2014 CC, but we all love hyperbole. How many times have I said such and such Shark is the best in the country? ;)

No need to go so over the top for such a mild post.

A little late with this, but Juan de Jongh really impressed me in his outing with Barbarians v Leicester.
He ran over for a last minute try, but handed the ball to Jacques Botes in goal to let him score the final try in his last game, and gave him the subsequent conversion. Sure it was a friendly match, but still a cool thing to do. Used to dislike de Jongh with his silly dancing (2012 CC...) but fair play, this was a classy thing. Certainly hope to see him in the Boks soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts