• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Big rises in ticket prices.

Alias

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bristol
Any other club hitting their fans with huge price rises this season??
Prices have risen sharply at Bristol's Ashton gate stadium or the 2015/16 season.

I think we have had a moderate increase, but also seem to have made a few economies & cutbacks.

In response to complaints from their fans Bristol have reduced the ticket prices in some areas of the stadium. Still over priced in my view especially for those wanting to bring friends and families. My thoughts are simple empty seats make no money.

English clubs have it all wrong.
The problem is they have too much power and they are holding back the national team with exactly this kind of small minded activity.
Backsides on seats is the answer, not prohibitive pricing levels.

More than most.
I get to the Stoop for 2-3 games a year, I make the effort to see Wasps at home at least once a year although it's a bit of a trek to Coventry, and I'll get tickets to see Bath once a year (the Mrs likes Bath as a shopping destination), and I watch Ealing on probably half their home games.
I can't bring myself to get season tickets for Quins, it's not the average quality of the rugby that turns me off, but the people they attract as fans. They're a bit posh or wannabe posh. Plenty of blazers at Quins. I used to see Wasps regularly when they were out at Reading. I prefer Wasps.
I like Bath for the setting of the stadium and the lovely city that surrounds it.
For the last few years now I pop in to the Wasps training ground for a gargle once a fortnight during the season to catch up with a couple of mates who are juniors coaches there... I was there for the RWC final. I watch some of their home games during the season as well. Often very entertaining and much more positive in its attacking play than the senior club rugby which is all too often negative in its style.
So I would see a shed load more English club rugby 'live' ; of varying levels, than the vast majority of posters on here.
Then I watch a bit as well on the box. But never if there is Super rugby or provincial rugby to watch from NZ.
I don't support any Club per se but over the years I have developed an affinity with Wasps. (I saw them beat Toulouse to win the Heineken cup at Twickers. I keep an eye out for results from Quins, Bath and Saints (a couple of mates are ardent Saints fans) and London Irish. My guilty pleasure is ... Exeter.
I will not support Saracens (too many Saffers, no, no and no.) or Leicester (thug rugby, route one boring, boring , boring under any circumstances.) ever!

Last edited:
More than most.
I get to the Stoop for 2-3 games a year, I make the effort to see Wasps at home at least once a year although it's a bit of a trek to Coventry, and I'll get tickets to see Bath once a year (the Mrs likes Bath as a shopping destination), and I watch Ealing on probably half their home games.
I can't bring myself to get season tickets for Quins, it's not the average quality of the rugby that turns me off, but the people they attract as fans. They're a bit posh or wannabe posh. Plenty of blazers at Quins. I used to see Wasps regularly when they were out at Reading. I prefer Wasps.
I like Bath for the setting of the stadium and the lovely city that surrounds it.
For the last few years now I pop in to the Wasps training ground for a gargle once a fortnight during the season to catch up with a couple of mates who are juniors coaches there... I was there for the RWC final. I watch some of their home games during the season as well. Often very entertaining and much more positive in its attacking play than the senior club rugby which is all too often negative in its style.
So I would see a shed load more English club rugby 'live' ; of varying levels, than the vast majority of posters on here.
Then I watch a bit as well on the box. But never if there is Super rugby or provincial rugby to watch from NZ.
I don't support any Club per se but over the years I have developed an affinity with Wasps. (I saw them beat Toulouse to win the Heineken cup at Twickers. I keep an eye out for results from Quins, Bath and Saints (a couple of mates are ardent Saints fans) and London Irish. My guilty pleasure is ... Exeter.
I will not support Saracens (too many Saffers, no, no and no.) or Leicester (thug rugby, route one boring, boring , boring under any circumstances.) ever!

Ealing ? Yes !
*OffersHighFive* :D

Really don't have a problem with the ticket prices at Leicester, 23 quid normally gets you a terrace spot with a tenner more for sitting, on the low grade games like Treviso it's 23 quid for sitting. My mate has a standing season ticket and it 22 quid a month direct debit. Twickenham has always been expensive that's why I only go to the army v navy game.

Last edited:
Really don't have a problem with the ticket prices at Leicester, 23 quid normally gets you a terrace spot with a tenner more for sitting, on the low grade games like Treviso it's 23 quid for sitting. My mate has a standing season ticket and it 22 quid a month direct debit. Twickenham has always been expensive that's why I only go to the army v navy game.

Bargain. This puts the minimum cost of watching Bristol play London Welsh of £25 into perspective and that's after a price drop (apparently)! I'd have thought that this stacks up well against other AP clubs. I paid the best part of 40 quid for a spot on the terraces between the 22s at Exeter last season. Rather like The Jones Boy says about Quins, the experience was slightly marred by the crowd they attract. It was like a bizarre mix between a hunt ball and a pantomime with half the crowd clad in Barbour and Hunter and the other half in fancy dress making silly noises. The rugby appeared to be a sideshow to the majority.

Going back to The Championship, I consider £13 to watch Cornish Pirates play (if bought in advance) a good buy too, although the vantage points available to those who wish to stand are pretty ropey. It's only £3 more than I pay to watch Redruth play at level 4.

Bargain. This puts the minimum cost of watching Bristol play London Welsh of £25 into perspective and that's after a price drop (apparently)! I'd have thought that this stacks up well against other AP clubs. I paid the best part of 40 quid for a spot on the terraces between the 22s at Exeter last season. Rather like The Jones Boy says about Quins, the experience was slightly marred by the crowd they attract. It was like a bizarre mix between a hunt ball and a pantomime with half the crowd clad in Barbour and Hunter and the other half in fancy dress making silly noises. The rugby appeared to be a sideshow to the majority.

Going back to The Championship, I consider £13 to watch Cornish Pirates play (if bought in advance) a good buy too, although the vantage points available to those who wish to stand are pretty ropey. It's only £3 more than I pay to watch Redruth play at level 4.

Yeah but don't forget Sandy park is smaller than welford rd but Exeter still need the same money to compete with Tigers so prices will be higher, it's about supporting your club. As for the crowd I think you might be getting a bit up yourself if you think people in Barbour jackets are not allowed to enjoy a game of rugby. If you took them from the game the RFU would lose most of its income so be grateful they are there.

Yeah but don't forget Sandy park is smaller than welford rd but Exeter still need the same money to compete with Tigers so prices will be higher, it's about supporting your club.

They're not my club, they're Tony Rowe's club. They're simply the closest AP club to me. As a punter, the club's finances are of no concern to me and I suspect the majority of punters. In practical terms, AP clubs are entertainment businesses within the sports sector (is there a single club left owned by its membership?). Market forces exist and will dictate what the majority of their customers consider a good / bad price for their services.

As for the crowd I think you might be getting a bit up yourself if you think people in Barbour jackets are not allowed to enjoy a game of rugby. If you took them from the game the RFU would lose most of its income so be grateful they are there.

It's not the Barbour jackets themselves that bothered me, it just amused me that they seemed to be the uniform for so many of the crowd. I would never say that anyone isn't allowed to enjoy a game of rugby. Whether I want to enjoy the same game in their company is a different matter though! The point I was trying to make was that so many people were not there to enjoy a game of rugby, they were there for a social which happened to have a game of rugby going on in the background. As a result, there was nowhere near the passionate atmosphere that I was hoping for from a decent sized crowd. For fear of stirring unrest between rival supporters, maybe I was spoiled by my previous visit to an AP match held at Kingsholm!

Yeah but don't forget Sandy park is smaller than welford rd but Exeter still need the same money to compete with Tigers so prices will be higher, it's about supporting your club. As for the crowd I think you might be getting a bit up yourself if you think people in Barbour jackets are not allowed to enjoy a game of rugby. If you took them from the game the RFU would lose most of its income so be grateful they are there.

I would agree with that and at least they know and care about rugby! The ones who are really obnoxious are those that now can get/afford tickets at Twickers, the majority of whom have no idea about the game and are there to be seen!

They're not my club, they're Tony Rowe's club. They're simply the closest AP club to me. As a punter, the club's finances are of no concern to me and I suspect the majority of punters. In practical terms, AP clubs are entertainment businesses within the sports sector (is there a single club left owned by its membership?). Market forces exist and will dictate what the majority of their customers consider a good / bad price for their services.

It's not the Barbour jackets themselves that bothered me, it just amused me that they seemed to be the uniform for so many of the crowd. I would never say that anyone isn't allowed to enjoy a game of rugby. Whether I want to enjoy the same game in their company is a different matter though! The point I was trying to make was that so many people were not there to enjoy a game of rugby, they were there for a social which happened to have a game of rugby going on in the background. As a result, there was nowhere near the passionate atmosphere that I was hoping for from a decent sized crowd. For fear of stirring unrest between rival supporters, maybe I was spoiled by my previous visit to an AP match held at Kingsholm!

Well given that your watching a game in deepest rural Devon you might expect that Barbour jackets are popular.....

I only live a few miles from the wasps ground so have been to watch them play a few times with my lad. I must say they have their pricing spot on....under tens go free and adult prices start at £15, £35 being the best seats.

Latest posts