• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath or "The masochists guide to rugby"

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/clash-bath-bristol-hay-bales-2141935

A little cheesy... but I quite like it.
0_The-Clash-hay-bales.jpg

Any news on when Watson and Joseph may be back for Bath?
JJ should be fit for this weekend; but may or may not be risked.
Watson is expected back in January, but it's too early yet to be confident of that.

Cheers fella. I think the most important thing is they are not rushed back. Still think both are vital to England (and Bath I'm sure ;) and don't want them rushed back. If JJ and Watson can play the last few of months of the season, then prepare for the WC I think that would be great.

I've only got my England specs on ;)

Oh, I always agree with not rushing players back - I'm a huge fan of player welfare

Once you see the copy-paste people in the computer generated crowds, you can't unsee it.

We need a ******* game plan first! Otherwise we're going to have the sexiest stadium in semi-pro rugby...
Maybe that's why they're getting their arses in gear.
If we drop down, no way the Rec as it is would get past the minimum standards criteria to bounce back up again.
If this is going through planning, especially if going well; then we'd get a pass on that.

Latest injury updates:
19 December 2018

The latest injury update from Bath Rugby detailing injuries and expected return to play.

Player Injury Expected return
Joe Cokanasiga Medial knee ligament Early January
Taulupe Faletau Fractured forearm Early January
Jonathan Joseph Mid-foot ligament repair Late December
Beno Obano Combined ligament injury - left knee Mid-2019
Rhys Priestland Adductor strain Late December
Anthony Watson Achilles Early 2019

This year, we must have one of the smallest injury lists - but definitely have the highest %age of first choice 23 players on it.

Ok; so we've picked up a few extra injuries against Leicester; but TBH, the timing couldn't really be better, given our upcoming fixtures.

05/01/19 - A - Worcester. We should be able to beat them even without Catt, Garvey, Underhill, Roko & Ruaridh. Give them all a week to recover properly, and put out our best available team: Wilson/Homer; Brew; Wright; Roberts; Vuna; Burns/Priestland; Chudley; Van Rooyen; Dunn; Thomas; Ewels/Stooke; Attwood; Ellis; Louw; Mercer.

12/01/19 - H - Wasps (HC). A dead rubber for both teams; I'd look to rotate out those carrying ****les, and some of the rest. So Homer in for Wilson, Willison in for Roberts, Rhys in for Freddie; Max/AP in for Thomas.

20/01/19 - A - Toulouse (HC). OK, this one could get nasty as they're likely to be needing every point they can get, whilst a completely dead rubber - we're likely to take a hammering even if we out out our first XV - I'd put out a complete reserves team (as much as EPRC squads allow) so that as many of our firsts get a 4 weekend break as possible; with our more knackered guys getting 5 weekends.

26/01/19 - Rest weekend.

02/02/19 - H - Gloucester (It's My Ball And You Can't Play With It Cup). Dead rubber in the IMBAYCPWIC; let's take it seriously, but within the rotation and academy guys. I don't like losing to Glos at the Rec; but it's the useless cup; and couldn't really give a flying fig about it beyond that.

09/02/19 - Rest weekend. Given that we can't make the IMBAYCPWIC SF.

16/02/19 - H - Newcastle. With those rest weeks I've just given the players; play our strongest team, but accept some rustiness. No guaranttees, but that ought to be enough for this.

23/02/19 - A - Northampton. This is the next match against or direct competition in the Prem; if my plan comes together, then we should have shaken off the rust against Falcons; and be right up for peak performance this weekend.

02/03/19 - H - Harlequins. Again, peak performance needed.

08/03/19 - H - Saracens. Playing Sarries, at home, during the 6N, hopefully with our tails up and a window we're specifically targetting to peak during - we won't get a better chance for many a year; with a nice rest weekend coming up after this 4 week window.

16/03/19 - Rest weekend. Final 6N weekend; Final of the IMBAYCPWIC.

I'd agree with pretty much all of this - one counter argument though, is the argument for keeping up momentum, following a couple of wins by going hell-for-leather for a couple more.

But realistically, with injuries and dead rubbers, I think your way is the sensible way.

Having said that, I am travelling to Toulouse for that match so a second team getting spanked wouldn't be ideal for me! I'm one of the notorious travelling fans of "but what about the travelling fans?!" fame...

A slight shame but I've always argued that the coach's job is to ensure the best overall season he can for the club, and I stand by it. If that means sacrificing the odd dead rubber to rest players for important games then so be it. I knew the risks when I booked the tickets.

Normally, I'd agree with trying to win every match, balanced with one eye on player welfare.
But this year, with everything so close in the only competition were left with anything to play for, and a series of 4 vital matches all lined up right next to each other; prioritising that mini-series seems the most I operant thing, and handled properly in advance, I see no particular reason why we couldn't be targeting 5 wins from our next 5 Prem matches

Latest posts