• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Barbarian 7s at Hong Kong

sigesige00

Bench Player
In the World Sevens (Men's), 15 core teams play all 10 tournaments and 1 non-core team is invited to every tournament.
In my opinion, there should be Barbarian 7s and they should play as a non-core team at Hong Kong.
Since there are qualifiers for promotion to core teams at Hong Kong, 12 teams who play qualifiers cannot play as a non-core team. So non-core teams at Hong Kong are naturally too weak.

This season the non-core team at Hong Kong was the ROK (Republic of Korea). Their results:

Pool A:
0-52 England
0-52 Australia
12-22 Samoa

Challenge QF 0-43 Russia
13th Place SF 7-36 Japan

They did not have enough quality to play as a non-core team. As long as qualifiers are played at Hong Kong, this is natural.

So I want a change. How about Barbarian 7s at Hong Kong as the non-core team? It would be fascinating. There should be Baa-Baas in not only 15s but also 7s.

And, before the Hong Kong round, non-core team can play only 1 tournament. After the Hong Kong round, promoted team play all remaining rounds. What do you think about this change?

shatnerWTF.gif

After re-thinking this question, I was wrong. Barbarian 7s team is necessary but they must not play competitive games.
Sevens World Series and World Cup winners should play memorial games against Barbarian 7s and British-Irish Lions 7s (maybe at a 15s Summer International game).
The question of the invited team at Hong Kong should be discussed.

Last edited:
Another suggestion:

Promotion/Relegation playoffs and memorial matches

The bottom team is automatically relegated; and the 2nd bottom team play promotion/relegation playoffs against the 2nd~4th teams in the promotion qualifiers (both men and women).

Promotion/Relegation playoffs (both men and women) are held with memorial matches of the World Series Winners, Barbarian 7s, British-Irish Lions 7s, and other invited teams, after the end of the world series.

Latest posts