• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All-Round players

Didnt Sinks used to play fly half when he was young?

Josh Beaumont was a flyhalf up until University

Sam Burgess played centre and flanker at Bath

Isn't Bastareaud intending on playing backrow these days?

Youngs was a Centre in his early days before becoming a hooker.
Sure a number of hookers are converted backs .

Clear choice at the moment is Levani Botia who has played at centre and flank for La Rochelle.

Theres quite a few back rowers that go to hooker, thacker, ward, mccinally(i think).

Didn't Lomu get a few caps at 6 and 8? He mentions it in his autobiography and I know I've seen a video of him doing an 8 pick up versus Italy but I'm not sure how many times it happened. He was a lock/back row until not long before his All Blacks debut.

Sean Cronin was a back for at least some part of his underage career, had the pace to play there professionally as well.

Chris Farrell was a second row in school.

Can't think of any Irish players who've played both at the top level though, at least recently.

Obviously the role of a forward in the sports is completely different but wasn't Sonny Bill Williams a lock when he played league?

Didn't Lomu get a few caps at 6 and 8? He mentions it in his autobiography and I know I've seen a video of him doing an 8 pick up versus Italy but I'm not sure how many times it happened. He was a lock/back row until not long before his All Blacks debut.
i knew he played school boy in the forwards but dont remember him playing for the AB's in the forwards

Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield famously played as 9 and 10 at primary school but I wouldn't think they'd make good players in those positions in their pro years LOL.

Eben Etzebeth and Pierre Spies started out as wingers though at a higher level. If I could make a suggestion or two:

Backs that could do well in the forwards:
Front row?
Mathueu Bastareuad (at least he looks the part)
Frans Steyn (is not far off)
Lock?
Nemani Nadolo (he certainly has the frame for it)
Come to think of it probably all of Fiji's players have very similar skill sets and are as huge and pacey as they are skillful in open play. Huge generalization here of course but it tends in that direction.
Loose forward?
Damian de Allende (most turn over earned for SA in the RWC, also loves to mix it up in the tight loose and known for his counter ruck play)
Rene Ranger (I've seen him make so many hard tackles and he is also good ITO pilfering)

Forward that could fair well in the backline
Center maybe?
Dane Coles
Schalk Brits
Kyle Sinckler
Leone Nakarawa
Wingers?
Kwagga Smith (has the pace)
Ardie Savea (just a monster ball carrier, pacey enough)
Jaco Kriel (just a monster ball carrier, probs has enough pace)

Prop, scrumhalf and fly half are probably too specialized I'd imagine.

Are there notable players who can play both as a FW (maybe 3rd-row?) and as a BK (maybe Centre?)
Within England, the only ones I can think of are...
Andy Farrell (rugby league convert trying to find his position of best fit)
[Redacted] (rugby league convert trying to find his position of best fit)
Alafoti Fa'osiliva (7s convert trying to find his position of best fit)

Joe Cokanasiga (planned shock move, has never been actively selected at #8)

Of course, plenty have converted between backs and forwards at late-age-grade level, but the 3 above are the only ones I can think of actually selected to start matches, multiple times, in both forwards and backs as full professionals (so, excluding the odd injury crisis)

Matt Banahan used to play second row before moving to the wing/centres IIRC. Pretty sure I've seen him pack down in the forwards at some point on T.V. too, not sure if it was lock... might have been?

I reckon with a bit of effort we could get close aside from props. Props in the backs maybe but not vice versa. Sinks is a shoo in for this teams 10 IMO, actually a good first receiver and can distribute. Need Jordan Crane or someone to take the kicks though?

Last edited:
I heard that Tyler ardron has played ten and his club in Canada wanted him to play there but he refused because he wanted to play in the forwards.

Latest posts