• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks v Wallabies - Bledisloe 1 (7/8/2021)

Chances of the Lions v Boks game being this high scoring?

A bit embarrassing for the All Blacks to be honest, four tries apiece and only Lolesio's missed kicks turned the game in New Zealand's favour.

The All Blacks really need to up their game in the next few weeks. Good in patches but under Foster putting a good 80 minutes together is a real problem. That is something the ABs used to be renowned for. I actually thought the pack was better and beat the Aussies in the set piece but some of the back-line play left a bit to be desired. Mo'unga was all class as usual though. I thought the Wallabies played well but again basic skills let them down.

Wallabies getting more gritty. What a shite first half, and just way too many penalties from the all blacks.
Paisami was pretty good in that first half, getting a few rips.

Aaron smith man if the match. Mounga pretty good but have to remember his missed tackle led to a try, that cancels out his intercept try.

rieko defended strongly on the line.
Havili and lienert brown were good in patches and were better in the second half at getting direct. That new guy, Retallick, gave away too many penalties but looks like he has some promise.

hard to say whether we should make any changes, at least to the starting line up. Just build the combos for now. Ardie wasnt great, though made one special play to clean Wilson when he was about to get a turnover close to their line, a phase or two before we scroed. It was one of those ardie specials where he manages to get underneatheth a player that is over the ball, and with his unique balance and strength in that position, lift them away from the ball. And made some good runs close to the ruck to guve us forward momentum at critical times on attack. He was noticably tired at the end. Papalii was good, but shoild also be better next week. Akira not too bad.

he kicked well against france didnt he, hopefully this was just a bad game as all kicker have from time to time
It was windy. Perhaps his style of kicking is impacted more by the wind than others. For one he doesnt have the same power, given he doesn't have as long a distance, as most kickers. Secondly, he puts flight on the ball, meaning it reaches the top of its parabolic trajectory before or near the same time as going over the post: at the top of its parabolic trajectory there are less forces acting on it, as there are zero forces in the vertical dimension, allowing for the trajectory to be affected more by the sideways force of the wind (if you want to see or imagine this effect try throwing a ball straight up in the air while it's windy, you'll see the wind catch it more at the top of its flight).

commentators were suggesting he should judge the wind. Maybe they are right but it's hard to know to what extent he was trying to judge the wind, and you have to note that it's very difficult to judge what the wind will be doing up in the air around the posts by feeling what the wind is doing at the spot where you are, near the ground. In a stadium the wind can swirl around, meaning the wind at one spot is different to that at another spot, whether a different direction or just a different speed.

Noah hit 18/19 against France. Combination of wind and Eden Park factor got to him i think.

Did anyone really think the Wallabies were going to win at Eden Park with a backline that could, combined, boast less caps than Hodge? Footy was better than the Lions nonsense but it was less interesting in that it's a foregone conclusion. And we get to see it again. Yawn.

Really need to rejig the RC. IMO they should introduce Japan and Fiji - that way we get a greater variety of opponents and the dire Bled can be reduced to one match a year.

Noah hit 18/19 against France. Combination of wind and Eden Park factor got to him i think.

Did anyone really think the Wallabies were going to win at Eden Park with a backline that could, combined, boast less caps than Hodge? Footy was better than the Lions nonsense but it was less interesting in that it's a foregone conclusion. And we get to see it again. Yawn.

Really need to rejig the RC. IMO they should introduce Japan and Fiji - that way we get a greater variety of opponents and the dire Bled can be reduced to one match a year.
Can't believe the ARU actually agreed to the first two Bledisloe's being in New Zealand. It will probably render the Perth game meaningless because let's be honest, no-one really cares about the rugby championship. Yet another own goal from Aussie administrators. The Bledisloe has to be restructured because the current format is a disaster. I don't think it should be 3 games but if it is then i think the holder should have to play away twice every year. The team that holds it has too much of an advantage under the current format.

Can't believe the ARU actually agreed to the first two Bledisloe's being in New Zealand. It will probably render the Perth game meaningless because let's be honest, no-one really cares about the rugby championship. Yet another own goal from Aussie administrators. The Bledisloe has to be restructured because the current format is a disaster. I don't think it should be 3 games but if it is then i think the holder should have to play away twice every year. The team that holds it has too much of an advantage under the current format.
lol. hell no. aussie held for almost 10 years because it was only 2 games for most of it and aus would only needed to win 1 of those.
changing the format of the bled isnt going to make aus any better. aus dont have the bled because they dont deserve it.
and RA didnt have any choice with the games being in edenPark considering most of the RC is held in Aus.

id be fine with that, id rather it went back and forward a bit, the Ranfurly shield has had a huge resurgence in a lot of the country because its moved around a lot more

id be fine with that, id rather it went back and forward a bit, the Ranfurly shield has had a huge resurgence in a lot of the country because its moved around a lot more
But the resurgence wouldn't be there if it was considered easy to win. I like the ranfurly shield as it is, but would consider the bled being a one off, even if it was at the challengers venue. Actually quite like that

But the resurgence wouldn't be there if it was considered easy to win. I like the ranfurly shield as it is, but would consider the bled being a one off, even if it was at the challengers venue. Actually quite like that
yeah, i think one big event gane would be good

Less is more. It would be more interesting and Aus would probably win it on the odd occasion.

No one will ever care about a trophy that will only ever be won by one side. Sport is about competition. Things are re-organised to produce a better contest all the time, why is the Bledisloe any different. If Aus no longer cut the mustard why play three? Its just not entertaining for either set of fans.

Who NZ actually should play is another question. They are running rather slim on opponents.

yeah, i am one of those that think the RC was dying before COVID...COCID just made things more clear

definitely dont want to end up like the years where we played the other teams three time each...plus an extra bledisloe, playing aus four times in one season is uncool

Latest posts