• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

As far as i recall it was good investgative journalism and whistle blowing that got party gate started.

Rayner called for Bojo and co to resign over being investigated for party gate, this was prior to any finding of guilt. She's very vocal over Tory corruption and sleaze. Correctly in my view how ever it shouldn't be any surprises if the same is done to you if there's a whiff of being a hypocrite.

As far as i recall it was good investgative journalism and whistle blowing that got party gate started.

Rayner called for Bojo and co to resign over being investigated for party gate, this was prior to any finding of guilt. She's very vocal over Tory corruption and sleaze. Correctly in my view how ever it shouldn't be any surprises if the same is done to you if there's a whiff of being a hypocrite.
There a difference between great investigative journalism ala partygate where it was quite clear and the journalist had fathered all the dirt and knew exactly what had happened. Receipts and all.

Or beergate where it's just smeering hoping the mud sticks.

Iran has launched aerial drones at Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) says, appearing to mark a widely anticipated reprisal attack.

Israel's Channel 12 TV says the salvo is expected to reach Israel at around 02:00 on Sunday (00:00 GMT).

I can't find anything online about whether Sunak condemned Israel's attack on Iran, but I find it interesting that he's saying Iran have dangerously risked escalating the situation when they were attacked first. I'm not saying Iran are innocent or victims, but the reality is that Israel are clearly just as aggressive in this conflict and it's pointless telling one side to back down and not the other if you genuinely want a peaceful resolution.

I wouldn't expect the west to condemn Israel's actions - is it any different to what America did with Soleimani?

They'll want to keep a united front on Iran

I can't find anything online about whether Sunak condemned Israel's attack on Iran, but I find it interesting that he's saying Iran have dangerously risked escalating the situation when they were attacked first. I'm not saying Iran are innocent or victims, but the reality is that Israel are clearly just as aggressive in this conflict and it's pointless telling one side to back down and not the other if you genuinely want a peaceful resolution.
Sunak, Starmer, Biden, Germany and France all condemning Iran. Don't expect anything different really.

I don't expect different, but I am fed up still with the portrayal of other countries in the region as aggressors towards Israel, when reality is that Israel is just as aggressive. All it does is support the narrative (which Israel keeps trying to push) that Israel is some kind of innocent victim in all this when they certainly aren't.

US and EU leniency on Israel's mass bombing since 7 October has led to this. Iran kind of had to do something as Israel were getting bolder and bolder.

Now it's ******, I passionately hate what Israel is (an oppressive, aggressive apartheid state) but ******* hell the Iranians need to be kept in check. Real conflict here needs to be avoided at all cost.

US and EU leniency on Israel's mass bombing since 7 October has led to this. Iran kind of had to do something as Israel were getting bolder and bolder.

Now it's ******, I passionately hate what Israel is (an oppressive, aggressive apartheid state) but ******* hell the Iranians need to be kept in check. Real conflict here needs to be avoided at all cost.
This.

Israel and Iran are like two drunk arseholes looking for a rumble outside a nightclub at the end of the night. One of them is kind of your mate (although deep down you think he's a bit of a dick) and you just want no part of it and for them both just to go home and sober up.

Iran must have known that their drones and missiles would be intercepted very easily and that they wouldn't do any damage which means it was a token retaliation to save face domestically and in the region. No casualties unlike the bombing of the Iranian consulate in Syria. If Israel chooses to escalate again then the UK and EU need to tell Netenyahu to **** right off. Biden won't because it will be cost him the election and Netenyahu knows that which is why he's behaving like a ****.

Last edited:
I somehow completely missed Israel destroying the Iranian consulate in Damascus a week or two back.

It is that which has directly led to this.

In that context, a strike with extremely early warnings that something was coming in media and committing the slow moving drones to being the "lead" to further increase warning time is very limited.

Iran have been seen to be doing something for the home audience while doing very little of anything effective - and knowing this to be the case.

In the background both sides will now be very carefully going over what was shot down where, by whom and when, then gauging the effectiveness of their respective defence and attack.

In the foreground, f**k knows. The sensible thing for Israel to do would be take the win. They got the general in Damascus, and they got to demonstrate to their people they can maybe handle anything Iran can throw at them. But this is Beny. He might feel emboldened to push more and historically that's what he has done.

Yeah you do get the impression this is all about Iran saving face. It wouldn't surprise me if they had discussions with America and Israel about what was the best thing to do so they could go back and say look we're not going to stand for this any longer.

I'm not really worried about an escalation at this moment but it's always on the card in that region I suppose.

Latest posts