• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Dan Bowden has left Bath with immediate effect

http://www.bathrugby.com/news/bowden-leaves-bath-rugby/
"by mutual consent" - which usually means a silence payment has been made; but may mean that he's retiring hirt with as much of a playing contract left as possible for insurance purposes.

"Returning to New Zealand to decide his next step in rugby union" - sounds like going into coaching or reffereeing to me - anyone know anything more?

Last edited:
Well interesting movement in the last week,.

Mermoz to us
Josh and Joel Matavesi to us

Ben Harris (LH Prop) to Wasps
Marcus Watson to Wasps

Another signing coming to the falcons to be announced today. Either DTH van der Merve or Sami Mavinga (france LH from Lyon)

Swainston from Cockroaches to Quims

Not a bad signing, he's a decent club level prop.

Dan Bowden has left Bath with immediate effect

http://www.bathrugby.com/news/bowden-leaves-bath-rugby/
"by mutual consent" - which usually means a silence payment has been made; but may mean that he's retiring hirt with as much of a playing contract left as possible for insurance purposes.

"Returning to New Zealand to decide his next step in rugby union" - sounds like going into coaching or reffereeing to me - anyone know anything more?

Bowden IMO will go full time into commentary and will prob get more involved in his horse racing project.

Has something happened at Falcons for next season that I'm missing? And why all in the forwards?

What do you mean all in the forwards? We've only signed backs....for the moment.

Its generally been felt that our forwards are strong and getting stronger and stronger. We only need to tweak those...definitely need a LH prop (Looks like we have already signed Sami Mavinga from Lyon). But we have crazy strong options everywhere else.

In the backs however we feel we need a Fly half back up, we have Willis and Conon coming through, but want a senior option as Delayney has been woeful.

Also (aside from JP Socino), our centres are poor. Socino suffered burnout last season due to over work...So with regards to that we have signed 3 top class players to cover back up 10, and for 12 , 13 and replacement for Watson.

We also have some very talented kids coming through...what an experience this is going to be for them.

Reminds me very much of what Dean was very successfully achieving at Quins. Lets hope he gets to finish the job this time....;)

Imagine:
9 Takulua
10 Hodgson
11 Sinoti / DTH
12 JP Socino or Matavesi
13 Mermoz
14 Goneva
15 Tait / Hammersley

With Willis, Penny, Kibirige, Harris EQ'd on the fringe and Conon, Marshall, Radwan, Stevenson + a few others all EQ and coming through the academy....

Last edited:
Definitely meant why all in the backs- seems like a pretty comprehensive post, but where has the sudden spending spree come from?
And the change of style you guys have taken up this season

Hodgson looked aharp in one game I saw, how do you rate him?

What do you mean all in the forwards? We've only signed backs....for the moment.

Its generally been felt that our forwards are strong and getting stronger and stronger. We only need to tweak those...definitely need a LH prop (Looks like we have already signed Sami Mavinga from Lyon). But we have crazy strong options everywhere else.

In the backs however we feel we need a Fly half back up, we have Willis and Conon coming through, but want a senior option as Delayney has been woeful.

Also (aside from JP Socino), our centres are poor. Socino suffered burnout last season due to over work...So with regards to that we have signed 3 top class players to cover back up 10, and for 12 , 13 and replacement for Watson.

We also have some very talented kids coming through...what an experience this is going to be for them.

Reminds me very much of what Dean was very successfully achieving at Quins. Lets hope he gets to finish the job this time....;)

Imagine:
9 Takulua
10 Hodgson
11 Sinoti / DTH
12 JP Socino or Matavesi
13 Mermoz
14 Goneva
15 Tait / Hammersley

With Willis, Penny, Kibirige, Harris EQ'd on the fringe and Conon, Marshall, Radwan, Stevenson + a few others all EQ and coming through the academy....

Ugh, I was reading this thinking I could have a new favourite English club but when I reached the bolded line you've automatically been dumped to second worse, get rid of the prick and I'm with you, securing my passive liking of the club should be your boards priority... Until then I'm firmly in Saints' corner not making any noise whatsoever.

Saints ewwwww FFS Alpha I know the Irish have no taste but we looked after Cullen and Jennings before you pinched them back.

When we've got proud Dubliner and Artificial American (the reverse plastic paddy) AJ MacGinty?
For shame.
That guy who beat Leinster in the Pro12 final? Nah man!

Saints ewwwww FFS Alpha I know the Irish have no taste but we looked after Cullen and Jennings before you pinched them back.

It's a family thing innit. The only thing stopping it from being the Chiefs is their stupid chant thing really!

It's a family thing innit. The only thing stopping it from being the Chiefs is their stupid chant thing really!

Which is fair enough; but... Saints? have you not heard of George North being sent back on as they didn't want to check him for concussion? have you SEEN their away strip?

Which is fair enough; but... Saints? have you not heard of George North being sent back on as they didn't want to check him for concussion? have you SEEN their away strip?

Better then Bath's away kit which could potentially win the award for the most kit of all time

Better then Bath's away kit which could potentially win the award for the most kit of all time

Hey, I'm not suggesting he should support Bath (I wouldn't recommend any newcomer with a consciounce start supporting Bruce Craig's negotiation tactics); but I think we can both agree that the "ghastly shirt" awards can only be a 2-horse race between Leicester and Sale

No - the Quins away strip is definitely making it a 3 horse race

Cobus Reinach: Sharks --> Northampton

Good player, but not convinced Groom is where their problems lie.

Latest posts