• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

No one who's not getting a look informed England at 13 would get near our squad, I can't see Ulster signing Addison as anything other than a back three player.

At fullback Haley is behind Kearney, Larmour, Conway and possibly Carbery.

Addison has to fight the conveyor belt of wings looking to back up Wales and Stockdale, Larmour, Sweetnam, Wooton, Daly, Byrne, O'Loughlin, (also playing at 13 when he's a wing, more to do with lack of depth in Leinster's) Connacht's out of favour crew and maybe even Lyttle.

It's nothing to lose for the two of them, I doubt they're taking a pay cut, Schmidt might like them more than Jones, Haley is joining a better team.

I can't comment on either player as I've seen a total of two games where Haley played, back when Sky has the premiership if memory serves, never heard of Addison before this year either.

Thing with Haley though is Kearney will be gone after 2019.
Conway will be there and Larmour. Carbery is tough to call will he go to be a 10 or a 15. Will he fall down the route of JJ Hanrahan or Madigan and not know what they are and get to a certain level but then stall due to not settling on 1 spot. Haley will get plenty of time for us though

Even if the pair of them don't get Ireland recognition they're still both making a step up and sensible career moves.

Do think Haley would have more chance with England than Ireland though.

Haley to Munster, yes, but Addison not so much ...

I don't think even the most ardent Ulster fan would regard them as a step up from Sale right this second ...

Ulster are my second team and despite qualifying for the ECC last season, this season has been very poor and with the coaches leaving at an alarming rate and the off-field situation with Jackson and Olding, the club isn't in a great place.

Addison and Jordi Murphy are good signings, but the side needs serious surgery.

Sale are on a far better trajectory IMO.

Haley to Munster, yes, but Addison not so much ...

I don't think even the most ardent Ulster fan would regard them as a step up from Sale right this second ...

Ulster are my second team and despite qualifying for the ECC last season, this season has been very poor and with the coaches leaving at an alarming rate and the off-field situation with Jackson and Olding, the club isn't in a great place.

Addison and Jordi Murphy are good signings, but the side needs serious surgery.

Sale are on a far better trajectory IMO.

You're not wrong there. As an Ulster fan its so frustrating. The issues we have encountered (for me) are:-

1. Overseas investment- Bryn Cunningham shouldn't be in a job in my opinion. For example, two of our permitted NIQs have played a handful (if even) of games this season. This stream of South African players has produced the odd gem but its not sustainable or successful. I think Coetzee could have a breakthrough season next year if this knee surgery is (finally) dealt with properly. Rumblings ive heard are that it seems to be down to a botched op rather than general fitness concerns.

Jordi Murphy, Marty Moore & Will Addison show a definite change in recruitment. Start cutting down on the Mercenaries/Journey men and look for players who want to be playing for an international jersey!

2. Stagnation of young players coming through - Leinster's academy is literally the pinnacle of talent production in the Northern Hemisphere (and possible the world!). The numbers are staggering. the Ireland squad had a ridiculous number of Leinster players under the age of 25. Whilst Stockdale, Robert Lyttle, Nick Timoney & Johnny McPhillips offer a rare glint of hope, there seems to be a drop off where young players struggle to make the jump. Last weekends match at Edinburgh was the first in a while where the coaching team blooded a few younger players (Tom O'Toole, Matty Rea, etc.). Maybe a change in their approach is requried?

3. Jackson/Olding - No-one could have predicted the impact of losing two big players. Jackson is the key man here and pulls the strings. Without wanting to get into the daily debate that goes on here.... safe to say, we need them back or a player in to fill that gap. Chat of Mallinder coming to Ulster - possible JJ Hanrahan return? wouldn't be my choice of Out-Half though.

How do we fix it? well if i knew that id be applying for the job!

Duncan weir to wuss? Not sure if its been said yet. What are the thoughts on this one?

Duncan weir to wuss? Not sure if its been said yet. What are the thoughts on this one?
Good signing IMO, his Scotland career has faltered but he's a good, solid player. Good signing, especially for wuss. He's just hitting his prime years as well which makes it even better. With the exodus from Edi, I assume most of them weren't on high wages.

Hows he doing? Played much this year? Wasn't in the England under 20's this time round.

Still look 12 and about 9 stone wet through?

Garryowen captain Neil Cronin (Sean's younger brother) has been signed for us. He was in our academy around 3/4 years back, but didn't make it. He's 25 now, working full time as a teacher and is definitely one of the best Scrum Halves in the league. Have a lot of respect for guys that go the AIL route at that age. Word is we're cutting Poland though which is a shame as I thought he looked good when he's played. Pretty clear that Williams isn't at the standard and Harte is probably no better, which is a shame.

Garryowen captain Neil Cronin (Sean's younger brother) has been signed for us. He was in our academy around 3/4 years back, but didn't make it. He's 25 now, working full time as a teacher and is definitely one of the best Scrum Halves in the league. Have a lot of respect for guys that go the AIL route at that age. Word is we're cutting Poland though which is a shame as I thought he looked good when he's played. Pretty clear that Williams isn't at the standard and Harte is probably no better, which is a shame.

I don't think Neil Cronin was ever in the academy but he did play for Munster a bit. Hopefully he is an upgrade on Hart and Williams. I agree on Poland. It looks like it was Cronin vs Poland because there was only room for one more player and they went with Cronin. Hart and William are contracted for another year at least as is Murray.

I don't think Neil Cronin was ever in the academy but he did play for Munster a bit. Hopefully he is an upgrade on Hart and Williams. I agree on Poland. It looks like it was Cronin vs Poland because there was only room for one more player and they went with Cronin. Hart and William are contracted for another year at least as is Murray.
I presume Stafford was preferred to Poland which may pay dividends, but given our last few attempts I would have liked both.

A shame, but if he's in part making way for Ibitoye/Marchant, it's understandable from both parties POV's.

Ealing have also signed:

Sam Olver
Howard Packman
Guy Armitage

Seem to be going after young talented English guys who haven't had too much opportunity at Prem clubs.

Last edited:

Interesting on Poland, my understanding was that up until recently enough he didn't want to be part of the academy but concentrate on his degree and not be commuting from Cork.

Interesting on Poland, my understanding was that up until recently enough he didn't want to be part of the academy but concentrate on his degree and not be commuting from Cork.

That was the rumour. Munster have since opened an academy branch in Cork, which makes sense seeing as most players are from Cork.

I presume Stafford was preferred to Poland which may pay dividends, but given our last few attempts I would have liked both.

Yeah I'd take both over Hart. He doesn't look up to uch unfortunately. If Poland joined the academy he would probably be signed up now.