• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 8 (5 & 6 April 2019)

... Fizell and Hemepo get nods...

agree Jabby. did you see the blues and tahs game and the 2 tries nonu setup? or the smash nonu put on to setup his try and his get out of jail wipers kick?
agree about hemopo. awesome work ethic and no BS and expert at the dark arts.
love the way frizell goes through heavy traffic. straight line juggernaut . whilst i like fifita, have to admit frizells style is much more abrasive and harder to stop.

I havent seen the game so have no reason to doubt he was as awesome and people are saying...i really just dont want to try and expect him to do it back to back to back during the world cup,

also not a fan of the go overseas and leave the young guys to step up only to come back and pinch the spot theyve been playing for attitude

im also really happy Hemepo and Frizell got caps last year to they're a good mix fresh blood but have already had the "occation" tackled out of them, will come in with enthusiasim but completely understanding what a step up is

I havent seen the game so have no reason to doubt he was as awesome and people are saying...i really just dont want to try and expect him to do it back to back to back during the world cup,
nonu was massive and more importantly, huge contribution that was error free.
i dont mind a player coming back and earning his spot. if he's the best there is then he's in imo. i'm totally against a player being picked who is lesser but loyalty gets him a jersey.
nonu has earned his right to be considered because he's creating himself a decent highlight reel.
at this stage its just a fairy tale but if nonu's got the goods and is the best centre in NZ then he should get the call up

Hemopo likely won't be considered for the All Blacks this year because of his decision to sign in Japan for next year.

Sam Cane cleared for contact!

No real surprises in All Blacks camp for next week....Akira Ioane invited, Ma'a Nonu is not. Hemopo not punished for his Japan signing...yet.

Hemopo likely won't be considered for the All Blacks this year because of his decision to sign in Japan for next year.

Sam Cane cleared for contact!
has nonu only signed for one year?

Hemopo is great when he is in beast mode
Frizell is permanently in beast mode
Nonu, yeah, he's looking good, but I think he's had his time. Goodhue, ALB, SBW, Crotty... its going to be very hard for him to displace one of these guys.

The guy I see struggling to get in is Scott Barrett. With Ardie, Frizzell, Todd and Ioane in good form and Reid the captain, he could be the one to miss out, although the key strings to his bow are that he can play either lock position, is a good ball taker/winner in the line out and is equally comfortable at 6.

I can easily see a scenario where he starts at 6 and moves into lock if Sam or Brodie are injured or subbed.... and Frizzell comes on and unleashes hell on a tiring opposition midfield.

Hemopo is great when he is in beast mode
Frizell is permanently in beast mode
Nonu, yeah, he's looking good, but I think he's had his time. Goodhue, ALB, SBW, Crotty... its going to be very hard for him to displace one of these guys.

The guy I see struggling to get in is Scott Barrett. With Ardie, Frizzell, Todd and Ioane in good form and Reid the captain, he could be the one to miss out, although the key strings to his bow are that he can play either lock position, is a good ball taker/winner in the line out and is equally comfortable at 6.

I can easily see a scenario where he starts at 6 and moves into lock if Sam or Brodie are injured or subbed.... and Frizzell comes on and unleashes hell on a tiring opposition midfield.
Interesting as I see him as nailed on 19 for the WC. Have been consistently impressed by his work rate and his handling skills this season, and post World Cup could see him stepping into the starting XV if Sam retires from internationals. I think he's further down the pecking order in the back row as you mention with the depth there.

If the back row has to be trimmed then, assuming it isn't driven by injuries, I can see Luke Whitelock, Todd and Hemepo missing out.

The guy I see struggling to get in is Scott Barrett.
barrets the lock option. i reckon he's third in pecking order behind retallick and whitelock, then sBarrett and 4th would be tuipolotu.
as good as hemopo is as a lock option, imo barretts much more versatile and has more experience as a lock.

Latest posts