• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 8 (5 & 6 April 2019)

Half Time - Brumbies 7 @ Crusaders 0.

Last edited:
Final Score: Crusaders 36 Brumbies 14

Last edited:
Just heard the commentator describe Nonu as "recognised around the world as the best number 12 ever"!!!! I think he maybe a bit caught up in the emotion of the moment!

Amazing how nervous Gonzalez Iglesias is. It's as if he had a bar of soap for lunch.

If our front rows dont improve their performance we simply cannot compete at this level. Every single scrum is a potential penalty against us.

Very happy about Miotti, especially considering how bad gonzalez iglesias played. He enters the pitch with the clock at 71 min and the team losing 10-20 . He scores two tries and a conversion to win 22-20.

And the kick he missed you could hear his team mates screaming "you dumb twat, take the kick that the time is about to run out". He hurried and missed it.

nonu and akiraIoane for ABs. outstanding performance

the Lions were absolutely dreadful tonight?. what's going on there. when was the last time they lost by 30 odd points at home?.

Actually, not that long ago

30 Apr 2016 - Lions 17 v 50 Hurricanes @ Johannesburg

Very happy about Miotti, especially considering how bad gonzalez iglesias played. He enters the pitch with the clock at 71 min and the team losing 10-20 . He scores two tries and a conversion to win 22-20.

And the kick he missed you could hear his team mates screaming "you dumb twat, take the kick that the time is about to run out". He hurried and missed it.

ezcurra made his contribution 1 asistance 2 good tackles and fast ball for the baks in 15 min. bonfeli was mvp imo. tuculet and lavanini where also part of the come back.
Miotti agreed! stood out by turning a very tough debut into the perhaps the best ever debut in super rugby history. don't think someone pulled out 2 tries and 1 conv with 9 min played in total: an avaradge 1.2 points per minute !!

Again ardieSavea stepped up and led from the front. He was the point of difference between the canes and hilanders

Not in Dunedin mate. We were lucky to sneak that one, but we also shot ourselves in the foot repeatedly and could have won more comfortably.

agree to disagree, canes above us on the table, missing our biggest attacking weapon, second or third string midfield and a musical chairs at first five? we did well getting as close as we did

people cant be serious about nonu for the AB's can they, he's been shown up just as many times this season as he's performed and we dont need to introduce someone new in a world cup year

Last edited:
people cant be serious about nonu for the AB's can they, he's been shown up just as many times this season as he's performed and we dont need to introduce someone new in a world cup year
all the games i've seen nonu played awesome. seen 3 of his games this season and each time he's been pretty savvy and relying more on his cunning and secondarily his brute strength
jabby you still havent forgiven him for his stint at the landers? cmon, blues forgave him and he did way worse for them than he did down there.

that's because he was unforgivably bad when he was with us, think we only won 2 or 3 games that year

but seriously, unless the 12 or 13 midfielders Hansen tried over the last couple of years (i joke!) are completely miss firing then surely we're better to stick with those that have been working towards this world cup

he may have hot some for now but Nonu got showed up in the first few of weeks and cunning and rugby brain is the kind of thing that shouldn't have needed to get up to speed

...Nonu got showed up in the first few of weeks and cunning and rugby brain is the kind of thing that shouldn't have needed to get up to speed
Brains will always beat brawn. What all the greats have in common is intelligent rugby brains.
I caught nonu's first game and he was outstanding. I missed the other first few games but the articles have been supportive of nonu trying for an ABs jersey.

Man I don't know what to say about the Bulls loss. in that first half we were clearly the dominant team, but it felt like the Jaguares were giving away penalty after penalty, yet no sanctions were given and the referee didn't seem like he wanted to talk to the team captains.

Second half we scored points but the Jaguares were improving. Then that last try, wasn't there a knock-on in the lead up to the try??

nonetheless, our injuries in our forwards pack and the fact that we have to rest players certainly had an impact in us performing the way we could.

Didnt see that Lions wipeout coming :). But thats classic inconsistant Sharks for you.

Brains will always beat brawn. What all the greats have in common is intelligent rugby brains.
I caught nonu's first game and he was outstanding. I missed the other first few games but the articles have been supportive of nonu trying for an ABs jersey.
I think if it is 4 centres in the squad, you'd have Crotty, Laumape, Goodhue and ALB ahead of Nonu. Appreciate he has the experience of playing at world cups, so wouldn't be adverse to him or Tana or Conrad being part of the wider coaching group.

I think the back row is going to be fascinating. Reid as captain will start at 8. I take people's point about Akira as a dynamic runner, but I am still not convinced about the number of turnovers he wins. I'll happily concede this is a perception rather than grounded facts, as I'm struggling to source some stats on turnover stats in supper rugby, but it's something that I'll try to continue to keep an eye on.

I thibk both flanker spots are right up for grabs. Ardie has been excellent all round for the Canes this year, winning turnovers and breaking lines. With Sam Cane not due back until July the 7 spot is right up for grabs. Matt Todd at 31 is hardly the future and hasn't hit the heights of Savea this season.

Likewise at 6, Squire not due back until beginning of June opens it up for Frizell or perhaps Fifita to really put themselves in the driving seat. I think the World Cup comes too soon for Robinson at the Blues. I understand he's not yet part of the wider training squad so would be an unbelievable rise if he made it in.

nonu would be a fairy tale story. but it'd be a good yarn. he's a known big game player and you dont just cast that aside frivolously.
akira is definately in imo. he's addressed his short comings in that he was seagulling and avoiding the dark arts. now he's doing his ruck and mauling but still dynamic in his ball running and defence. reid and akira will see us very solid at #8, and both can cover 6.
ardie is hands down the form 7. samCanes gonna have to work hard to dethrone ardie...but saying that cane could do it with a few hard abrasive games he's famous for.
todd's there as well and is just going about his usual business and contributing to the bigRed rolls royce that is the crusaders. whilst he isnt dynamic and as explosive as ardie at the mo, he still doesnt miss tackles and is a solid fetcher.
imo robinsons not ready. whilst he is a work horse and has a huge workload and engine im not sure he's got his decision making right yet. the late try in the weekend by the tah's was because robinson didnt break off the scrum to stop the try. its these little things that hurt you in close games. needs a bit more experience i reckon. tho getting him into the ABs environment early would really be good for his development.
i'd pick hemopo and frizell ahead of fifita at the moment. whilst fifta is faster hemopo and frizell i reckon are stronger and better making yards in close through heavy traffic.

i thought Nonu got turned inside out by ennor in the first game, i guess i just see the centres as one of those positions where you're combonations with the players around you are the most important, your wings or openside you can be a bit more lone wolf but theres not point nonu making some amazing break or pin point grubber if no one sees it coming

would love to see Fizell and Hemepo get nods, but have been amazing for us, Hemepo reminds me of Brad thorn with his work rate, he might not make a break up the middle but you can bet on seeing his head in the middle of ever maul, more often than not holding the whole thing up. Frizell just loves the ball, we should have tried harder to get the ball to him on friday, if anyone was going over the line it would have been him, even if not starting he would punch some big holes through a tired pack coming off the bench.

Latest posts