• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 18 (14 & 15 June 2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
pD5fGAx.jpg

Friday, 14 June 2019

iZ3E9uZ.png
VS.
qq7ut5l.png

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

0H1BUm0.png
VS.
USJKAyt.png

Venue: AAMI Park
Time: 11:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Saturday, 15 June 2019

QWfy9jJ.png
VS.
DuwVG9p.png

Venue: Estadio Jose Amalfitani
Time: 00:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

vpS1LbI.png
VS.
mS6KHOz.png

Venue: Westpac Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Ublspfx.png
VS.
fioHFlp.png

Venue: GIO Stadium
Time: 11:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

a2r4rag.png
VS.
0votoCs.png

Venue: DHL Newlands
Time: 15:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

sMF6Yxy.png
VS.
N3MsRxF.png

Venue: Loftus Versfeld
Time: 17:10 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Highlanders
Rebels
Jaguares
Hurricanes
Brumbies
Stormers
Bulls

Last edited:
Bulls will welcome back Jesse Kriel and Warrick Gelant, while the Lions will be without Kwagga Smith...
Yea I read it this morning, while Schalk Brits and Marco van Staden is concussed and unavailable.

Also, I am aware of the relatively good form the Bulls showed on tour, a place they usually struggle at.
If they go home everyone would think it could only go up from there right? But alas I don't think so.

It will be a tight game but I have a feeling the Lions playstyle will work well against what the Bulls have been trying this year. It's just a feeling though and it could go any way, but it's on the highveld and I know both teams are used to the conditions I just feel that if the Lions lose this game we can truly say that their era of success has finally passed for the foreseeable future.

For the record i rate the Bulls a better team than the Lions this year, its just in my mind the Lions have learned how to win games like these in the last few years, they should have that last remnants of a winning mentality even though player talent wise i think they are lacking against the Bulls. So we will see.

Landers
Rebels
Jaguares
Canes
Brumbies
Stormers
Bulls

I was gonna go with the Lions, style-wise i think it should go their way, but this is a do or die game for the lions (for everyone for the matter) and Jantijes has shown again and again that he is nowhere to be found when the lions need him. To make matters worse, Pollard like to attack his opposite 10 when he has the ball. I think Jantijes will have a lot of trouble stopping that and will choke again.

landers
chiefs
jags ( jags are gonna field a b team i hope we can make it)
hurricanes
brumbies
sharks (controversial) they are underperforming if they play bosch at 10 they have a chance
bulls 50 50

Hard to believe it's the last weekend of the regular season... Somehow, Super Rugby has seemed to pass by much quicker than the Pro14 or the Premiership, maybe it's because of all the side cups and competitions...

In any event, gimme my Highlanders at home against the stumbling 'Tahs;
Rebels to defend the home field with a narrow win against the Chiefs;
Jaguares should destroy the poor Sunwolves, who get to fly halfway around the world to finish a season in a league where they're not wanted... Sad.
'Canes should be way too much for the Blues, even if they decide to rest some people;
I like the Brumbies, who've been looking sharper, at home over the Reds;
My gut says the Sharks will come into Cape Town and get out with a tough win over the Stormers;
And the Bulls should win fairly comfortably, it feels like the Lions' tires have collectively come off, lots of dissent is being rumored...

In "tooting your own horn news," last week I got 'em all right except for the 'Landers drawing... And you'd have to remove the word "boring" from my Reds/Blues prediction:

(From week 17 thread:)
Gimme my beloved Highlanders over the sometimes-frightening Bulls,
The Reds to eke out a close win in a boring installment of the Purple Cup,
Crusaders to crush the Rebels, just to make sure they can take it easy fully next week,
Brumbies to get a nice away win at the 'Tahs,
The Hurricanes to shock the Lions with a blowout win at altitude,
Stormers to easily beat the hapless Sunpuppies, and
The Jaguares to keep up their winning ways over the visiting Sharks

higlanders
chiefs
jaguares
canes
brumbies
sharks
lions

jags ( jags are gonna field a b team i hope we can make it)

With the Jag's nursery full (Alemano, Petti, Lezana, Bertranou, Moyano, Delguy).

My choice of an alternative squad taking into account that rest must be given to those who have played the most minutes.

1- Carcia Botta
2- Montoya
3- Pieretto
4- Paulos
5- Lavanini
6- Bruni
7- Leguizamon
8- Ortega Dessio
9- F. Ezcurra
10- Miotti
11- Cancelliere
12- Gonzalez Iglesias
13- B. Ezcurra
14- Carreras
15- Mallía

16- Socino
17- Zeiss
18- Sordoni
19- Kremer
20- Gorrissen
21- Landajo
22- Orlando
23- Tuculet

Quesada made twelve changes since the previous game against the Sharks. Only Leguizamón in the forwards, and the two wins Carreras and Cancelliere repeat.
The recently incorporated third hooker Santiago Socino goes to the bench as reserve and could make his match debut.

Referee: Federico Anselmi (UAR)

Ok, obviously 4 nz teams will make the playoffs, which means the chiefs and highlanders will win with bonus points, the lions will lose without a bonus point. There's my prediction, the rest don't matter.

Last edited:
Ok, obviously 4 nz teams will make the playoffs, which means the chiefs and highlanders will win with bonus points, the lions will lose without a bonus point, and if the Stormers lose they won't get a bonus point. There's my prediction, the rest don't matter.

I don't think the Sharks will win. Coming back from a trip in Argentina, and Bosch is out injured for this game.

Duane Vermeulen will return for the Bulls, so that makes the Bulls' chance even better of winning, even though I think this game is going to be very close or dare I say it, another Draw...

And I doubt that both the Chiefs and the Highlanders will get bonus point wins. Maybe one of them, but not both...

Highlanders
Chiefs
Sunwolves
Blues
Brumbies
Sharks
Bulls

Note I never predict the hurricanes correctly, it's too hard to predict the team I support.

I don't think the Sharks will win. Coming back from a trip in Argentina, and Bosch is out injured for this game.

Duane Vermeulen will return for the Bulls, so that makes the Bulls' chance even better of winning, even though I think this game is going to be very close or dare I say it, another Draw...

And I doubt that both the Chiefs and the Highlanders will get bonus point wins. Maybe one of them, but not both...
Sacrilege.

I was listening to The Short Ball podcast, and they mentioned that the 'Tahs will be resting a bunch of Wallabies this week, so it may be that the Highlanders end up crushing them pretty badly.

It was interesting, too, to hear them complaining about that phenomenon - their take is, you can't call your competition (in this case, Super Rugby) the best if you routinely rest players to keep them fresh for a different competition. I see the logic in that, and if I have tickets to the Hurricanes game this weekend and didn't get to see Laumape because they're just giving him a rest, I'd be pretty ******. On the other hand, this is something every top league has to do, right? So, in a way, if it's a built-in handicap for all, you could still technically assert that Super Rugby is the best league, right?

Tough problem, I really see no way around it...

Latest posts