• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales (09/03/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Scotland.png
VS
Wales.png

Murrayfield Stadium
14:15, 09/03/2019

I'd actually probably have gone for Scotland if they had Finn back AND decent options at 12 & 13. But they don't, so I cant see them scoring more than one try.

I'd actually probably have gone for Scotland if they had Finn back AND decent options at 12 & 13. But they don't, so I cant see them scoring more than one try.

Finn is back as far as I know. I hope Sam Johnson plays 12 with McDowell or Johnstone outside him but I have a feeling GT will shoehorn Horne (pardon the pun) or Harris in somehow. Not sure Watson, Nel and Skinner will be match sharp. Wales by 5.

I'd also be curious to see Kinghorn at 13 (if his defending is up to it) with Maitland at 15 and McGuigan on the wing with Seymour. Maybe not the time to be going so left field.

Last edited:
Will be a tough old game I'm sure, the Scots are a different side at Murrayfield... regardless of the second half against Ireland.

Pragmatism is probably the best option for Wales to earn the W. A tight muscular performance from the forwards and kick for territory during the first 60 minutes. Scotland seem to have run out of gas a little during the last 20 minutes of their three previous games while Wales have looked strong during the same stage. If Wales are within a score with the last quarter to play, I think we'll win.

Finn is back as far as I know. I hope Sam Johnson plays 12 with McDowell or Johnstone outside him but I have a feeling GT will shoehorn Horne (pardon the pun) or Harris in somehow. Not sure Watson, Nel and Skinner will be match sharp. Wales by 5.

I'd also be curious to see Kinghorn at 13 (if his defending is up to it) with Maitland at 15 and McGuigan on the wing with Seymour. Maybe not the time to be going so left field.

That sounds crazy, but yes, Townsend needs to get creative around his centres. If he doesn't like Dunbar, the rest are crocked, his selections this tournament haven't quite made the grade and he doesn't like the look of the Edinburgh duo then maybe some wild experimentation is in order with Kinghorn. You'd lose a lot with his aerial ability and boot though if you moved him to centre though.

I can't think of any other massively experimental centre options. Laidlaw at 10 again and Finn at 12? :D

That sounds crazy, but yes, Townsend needs to get creative around his centres. If he doesn't like Dunbar, the rest are crocked, his selections this tournament haven't quite made the grade and he doesn't like the look of the Edinburgh duo then maybe some wild experimentation is in order with Kinghorn. You'd lose a lot with his aerial ability and boot though if you moved him to centre though.

I can't think of any other massively experimental centre options. Laidlaw at 10 again and Finn at 12? :D

I wasn't a big fan the Hastings/Russell at 10/12 combo. Finn saw very little of the ball and I think he does much more damage at 10. I'd start Price but think GT will stick with Laidlaw. I hope he doesn't move Johnson to 13 to accommodate Horne at 12. I'd rather have a natural outside centre like McDowell or Johnstone with either Johnson or Horne at 12. Let see :)

Russell has to start 10, he is so much better than the other options there.

Some comments about Finn at 12. As a Welshman I would love you to do that!

I think it will come down to the forward battle and stamina. Both teams have great strike runners in the back 3 and while Scotlanda 12/13 is a bit jumbled Wales 12/13 have been off form. As a Scot I may worry about JD having a long overdue big game.

However I think the packs will decide it. Wales seem to once again be the fittest team in the 6N and Scotland have flagged in their games. They have a lot of returning player s that may not be up to the intentsity for the 80 such as Watson. Even if he was match fit it is a huge game for him and the Scots need him at 100% all game. I cant see it happening.

I think Wales by 2 scores although I definately wouldnt be shocked if it was reversed. Such a hard game to call as Scotland need a performance.

How are Wales fans feeling about the loss of Cory Hill? Will Jake Ball come in and fill the void? I'd much rather it was AWJ who was out - he was an absolute beast against England and for me is the pick of the captains so far. He really is leading by example and showing such intensity.

J Gray is not the beast he was 2-3 years ago for whatever reason. I would be tempted to start Skinner along with Gilchrist with Gray coming off the bench and giving his all for the last 20-30.

I would prefer Ball, adds that physicality the other locks don't have. Beard will probably start though, I don't mind him but he isn't as good as the other choices at the moment.

I think a pairing to watch will be Ritchie + Watson. Watson is great, and Ritchie's having a good 6N so far. I think they will really help Scotland at the breakdown

Game of the weekend this! Wales on the ascendancy. Scotland stinging from the French defeat. Who know what respective teams will turn up!

I think a pairing to watch will be Ritchie + Watson. Watson is great, and Ritchie's having a good 6N so far. I think they will really help Scotland at the breakdown

I agree. Ritchie is a smart player who does well against bigger guys and can also pick great lines during attacks. He and Watson are very strong considering their size and if they both start then I would expect Strauss to start at 8 who will add a bit of meat.

I expect Wales to name the same side but with Beard coming into start for the injured Hill, Ball on the bench. Then Halfpenny and Tomos Williams on the bench for Watkins and Aled Davies

Early team announcement, only change being Beard in for Hill and Ball on the bench.

D05QVJaX4AAlCIW.jpg

How are Wales fans feeling about the loss of Cory Hill? Will Jake Ball come in and fill the void? I'd much rather it was AWJ who was out - he was an absolute beast against England and for me is the pick of the captains so far. He really is leading by example and showing such intensity.

J Gray is not the beast he was 2-3 years ago for whatever reason. I would be tempted to start Skinner along with Gilchrist with Gray coming off the bench and giving his all for the last 20-30.

I think he 'should' be AWJ's first choice partner but Beard, Ball and even Seb Davies (though management seem to prefer developing him in the back row) are fine replacements. I personally like Ball a lot but I have a feeling that Gats will go with Beard.

I think he 'should' be AWJ's first choice partner but Beard, Ball and even Seb Davies (though management seem to prefer developing him in the back row) are fine replacements. I personally like Ball a lot but I have a feeling that Gats will go with Beard.
Early team announcement, only change being Beard in for Hill and Ball on the bench.

D05QVJaX4AAlCIW.jpg

Thought so lol

Latest posts