• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England v Scotland (16/03/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
England.png
VS
Scotland.png

Twickenham Stadium
17:00, 16/03/2019

If Wales have sewn up the GS, I could see this being a high scoring game like England France in 2015.

Otherwise, England will tighten up and win by 10.

Italy v France - warm up to a great day in rugby.
Wales v ireland - come one Ireland, should be a great game.
England vs Scotland - could be for second or it could be for the championship. Wierd feeling that our hopes rely on Ireland. But i cant wait!

Come on England.

As always anything could happen, but England she really be taking this one with a healthy score line. Home advantage, key Scots missing through injury, and even at full strength they struggle find the try line. I hope we get to see Big Joe start again. Can't believe that poor old Robson has been taken ill (or has Jones slipped something into his tea?!). The guy just can't catch a break.

Of course I want us to win, but not feeling very emotionally invested in this one. It just feels like we've missed a great opportunity for a slam this year and anything less feels like a damp squib.

Also feel a bit for the Scots. All their injuries takes some of the competition out of it, although I know they'll come out swinging and hopefully conditions will be dry and the likes of Finn Russell will keep throwing the ball about. But still it's tough on them.

Really hope Ireland can spoil Gatlands party. I really don't like that guy.

As for a England team, I'd like to see the same pack as last week, but Shields out, Wilson back in.

Backs.

Young's, Faz, Slade 12 no heavyweights in Scotland to worry about, Manu 13 as he's clearly happier there, Big Joe 14, May 11, Daly 15.

I know we romped over Italy with two heavy lads in the centre, but Wales tried that against Scotland last week and almost came unstuck. Some guile is needed to unlock them. They may not be big but they're quick off the line and good tacklers, Gregg stands out for me in that regard.

Plus everyone seems to dislike Teo, although I think he's pretty solid, just not very exciting.

I really hope joes defence gets tested as its his weakest area and biggest work on for him.

Also want to see him in attack again.

Team has to be

Genge
George
Sinks
Launch
Kruis
Wilson
Curry
Billy
Youngs(should be robson if he were fit IMO)
Faz
May
Manu
Slade
Big joe
Daly

LCD
Moon
Cole
Ewels
Hughes/shields
Spencer
Ford
Nowell

Any complaints or disagreements?

Saw an idea yesterday about playing Ford at 9.
It fits quite well with EJ idea of players becoming interchangeable, and would give us a better kicker and passer in that position.

Still think that DC should be in team with Farrell on bench.

Can't really see anything other than an England win (unfortunately! :p), from a Scottish point of view I would settle for turning up for 80mins and putting in a decent performance. Keep the score within 10 and I would say under the circumstances we can't be too upset.

So Manu at 13 or Manu at 12???

I don't want T'eo near the 23 but we don't have any other options at 12....apart from Slade who always looks poor there.

So Manu at 13 or Manu at 12???

I don't want T'eo near the 23 but we don't have any other options at 12....apart from Slade who always looks poor there.
12. Manu 13. Slade, easy

They've performed well enough that the only way I'd split them up is if Joseph's form demands he starts

(Though I do still wanna see Ford Farrell Manu at some point)

Eddie has lost it.

Moon over Genge? What, really?

No Cokanasiga and Teo in the 23 shirt.

Cokanasiga running scared of a rampaging Ruaridh Jackson/one of Edinburgh's pandas who now qualify by residency.

12. Manu 13. Slade, easy

They've performed well enough that the only way I'd split them up is if Joseph's form demands he starts

(Though I do still wanna see Ford Farrell Manu at some point)

It's worth watching highlights from 2016 to remind yourself just how good Joseph can be. In my head he was a solid option, not that exciting, but he had some genuinely incredible moments. Add in an ungodly eye for intercepts and I really hope he gets back to form soon.

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 29 caps), 14 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 32 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 21 caps), 12 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 31 caps), 11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 44 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 69 caps) (captain), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 84 caps),

1 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 36 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 21 caps), 4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 57 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 31 caps), 6 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 12 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 9 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 40 caps)

Finishers (203 caps)
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 10 caps), 17 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 8 caps), 18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 84 caps), 19 Brad Shields (Wasps, 7 caps), 20 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 21 caps), 21 Ben Spencer (Saracens, 2 caps), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 54 caps), 23 Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors 17 caps).

Would've rather a lock and Joe C on the bench, pooossiibbllyy switched Genge and Moon, but other than that that's a very good side

No lock cover again is mental

T'eo at 23 is mental

Moon over Genge starting is bizarre

No Joe C to get experience is mental

I still hate Jones, I think his selections and tactics loose us games.

Just no idea why you'd pick Te'o in the 23 shirt when the entire starting back-line bar May and Youngs can comfortably play in the Centres. On the other hand the only option if a Winger gets injured is (I'm assuming) Slade to 15 where he has never played internationally and very sparingly at club-level and move Daly to the Wing. Furthermore, Captain Farrell isn't coming off the pitch, which means either Ford won't come on (allowing Slade to swap for Te'o and Farrell to stay at 10) or Te'o won't come on (allowing Slade to swap for Ford and Farrell to move to 12) or Tuilagi will get subbed, which is bonkers given how he has been playing and the impact he has.

Ted has baffled me with his selection here.

oh bloody nora not again Eddie.

Whys he dropped Thokkanasinya?

T'eo at 23 is mental

Pretty much all of that. I know that Jones sometimes does things that can't be comprehended and they seem to pay off, but not okay Big Joe in this game just seems insane! Not even a bench spot for him?!!! The only thing I can think of is that, although he has rejected comparison with Lomu, he wants to keep him under wraps as much as possible and then unleash him at the World Cup, much like the great man was in 95. But that seems a little redundant after the Italy game. I suppose he could be concerned about injury, why risk him even a little with almost nothing at stake? Although I can't see many people doing that man mountain much harm.

Moon in doesn't really bother me. He's stable and well tempered, less likely to be rattled by the inevitable wide up Shananigans of the Scots, unlike Genge who can be a bit fiery.

I really don't understand Teo on the bench. He brings nothing. He's just a solid, basic centre with no X factor to speak of, hardly a finisher. With so many other options why have him there? Again, unless it's to protect other assets now that there's nothing really at stake?

Really quite disappointed and less excited about this match now. Last real chance to see some amazing talent and it's wasted. Feels like it could be a bit of a trudge this one, which would be a real shame after last weekend.

T'eo at 23 is mental

Pretty much all of that. I know that Jones sometimes does things that can't be comprehended and they seem to pay off, but not okay Big Joe in this game just seems insane! Not even a bench spot for him?!!! The only thing I can think of is that, although he has rejected comparison with Lomu, he wants to keep him under wraps as much as possible and then unleash him at the World Cup, much like the great man was in 95. But that seems a little redundant after the Italy game. I suppose he could be concerned about injury, why risk him even a little with almost nothing at stake? Although I can't see many people doing that man mountain much harm.

Moon in doesn't really bother me. He's stable and well tempered, less likely to be rattled by the inevitable wide up Shananigans of the Scots, unlike Genge who can be a bit fiery.

I really don't understand Teo on the bench. He brings nothing. He's just a solid, basic centre with no X factor to speak of, hardly a finisher. With so many other options why have him there? Again, unless it's to protect other assets now that there's nothing really at stake?

Really quite disappointed and less excited about this match now. Last real chance to see some amazing talent and it's wasted. Feels like it could be a bit of a trudge this one, which would be a real shame after last weekend.

That's a nice starting lineup; I'd have liked Genge to start, but I'm not cut up about it.

That bench is a travesty. I'm not surprised at Shields as he seems to be the only back row cover that Jones will consider, but Hughes and Te'o as well? What the hell does he see in that mediocre trifecta?

I guess our best hope is that he replicates his substitution plan from the Wales game so none of them actually get on to the pitch.

Latest posts