• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2019 6 Nations team of the tournament.

TW27BA

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Now the dust has settled and my disappointment is over for another year, who has shone in the games played.

My first 15 and a second 15 .Players that were injured and didn't play a full part not picked, eg Mako, Hogg.

Liam Williams (Wales)
Jack Nowell (England)
Manu Tuilagi (England)
Hadleigh Parkes (Wales)
Jonny May (England)
Finn Russell (Scotland)
Gareth Davies (Wales)

Rob Evans (Wales)
Leonardo Ghiraldini (Italy)
Kyle Sinkler (England)
Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
George Kruis (England)
Josh Navidi (Wales)
Tom Curry (England)
Ross Moriarty (Wales)

2nd 15.

Elliot Daley (England)
Damian Penaud (France)
Henry Slade (England)
Sam Johnson (Scotland)
Josh Adams (Wales)
Gareth Anscombe (Wales)
Ali Price (Scotland)

Ben Moon (England)
Ken Owens (Wales)
Allan Dell (Scotland)
James Ryan (Ireland)
Felix Lambey (France)
Mark Wilson (England)
Hamish Watson (Scotland)
Billy Vunipola (England)

Not trying to be a douche but you cant pick two 12s in the first team. That team would get destroyed on the defensively.

Wales won the grandslam via defence and that was led by Jon Davies. He is in at 13.

Also has a Welsham Moriarty was not all that as an 8. Navidi at 8 making room for Watson.

Also Nowell ahead of Adams? Can I have some of what you are smoking? Guy cant even make the England team regularly. Adams is up for player of the tournament.

Also dont rate Davies as the best 9 either. May even go for the Italian 9?

Nowell can't make the England team?
He's clear first choice on the wing

I wouldn't have him in my team of the tournament but you don't have to invent things to fit your narrative, just say he weren't as good as alternatives.

Nowell can't make the England team?
He's clear first choice on the wing

I wouldn't have him in my team of the tournament but you don't have to invent things to fit your narrative, just say he weren't as good as alternatives.

He didnt start 2 or 3 of the games. That doesnt make him first choice to me....Try not to ommit certain words to make your point. I said REGULARLY and he didnt start 2 or e of the games so....Who is inventing narrative. Looks like its you by rewording quotes. You really do get quite d**ckish about anything regarding England players.

May is the clear first choice. There are 3 fighting for the remaining other place.

Liam Williams (Wales)
Josh adams (Wales)
Jon foxy davies (Wales)
Hadleigh Parkes (Wales)
Jonny May (England)
Finn Russell (Scotland)
Dupont (France)

Cian Healy (Ireland)
Kyle Sinkler (England)
Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
George Kruis (England)
Josh Navidi (Wales)
Tom Curry (England)
Picamoles (France)

When he was injured for Italy and then came straight back in, with Joe C dropping out of the 23, when fit again

I think you could build a pretty sick "honorable mention" side for this tournament,
Guys who weren't necessarily the best players but put in big performances in poor sides,

Jayden Hayward, Esposito, Grigg, Bamba, Penaud, Guirado all had good, individual, tournaments

Liam Williams (Wales)
Josh adams (Wales)
Jon foxy davies (Wales)
Hadleigh Parkes (Wales)
Jonny May (England)
Finn Russell (Scotland)
Dupont (France)

Cian Healy (Ireland)
Kyle Sinkler (England)
Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
George Kruis (England)
Josh Navidi (Wales)
Tom Curry (England)
Picamoles (France)

Exact team I would pick.

Mako, Ghiraldini, Sinckler
Ryan, AWJ
Navidi, Curry, Vunipola
Dupont, Biggar
May, Parkes, Slade, Adams
Sanjay

George, Evans, Bamba, Kruis, Watson, Price, Russell, Nowell*

*23 shirt is tough to fill, there were plenty of players who had some good performances mixed with some terrible. Would be tempted by Huget but he had some utter horror shows. Stockdale never really hit his stride. Nowell was quietly efficient all 6N. Would be Jon Davies but, as a rule, I always like a back 3 player in the 23 shirt

Giving Russell 10 of the tournament is massive recency bias imo, he played the best of any 10 for forty minutes but that's about it. N'Tamack would probably be my pick, he did well behind a beaten pack and put Italy and Scotland to the sword when in the ascendency.

Aye, Russell is all or nothing
When he's on he's outstanding but there's little consistency to his game

Bigger wasn't the best vs Italy but Wales looked noticeably better with him at 10 in every other game

To say J Davies had a better 6N than Slade is clearly wrong.

Aye, Russell is all or nothing
When he's on he's outstanding but there's little consistency to his game

Bigger wasn't the best vs Italy but Wales looked noticeably better with him at 10 in every other game
Agreed, I just can't pick a 10 who was part of a team that orchestrated only 8 tries, France gave them two gifts. Add to that that they have the best coach in the world, the best defence coach in the world, the best pack in the world, the best defence coach in the world, the best water boy in the world, the best defence coach in the world, the best masseuse in the world , the best defence coach in the world, the best odour in the world and the best defence coach in the world as well, it's fairly clear to me that Wales' contenders should primarily be from their pack. Parkes and Williams really added to their defence and Adams was clinical when he had to be but it's hard to justify picking the 9, 10 and 13 of a team that struggled to/didn't score many tries.

Agreed, I just can't pick a 10 who was part of a team that orchestrated only 8 tries, France gave them two gifts. Add to that that they have the best coach in the world, the best defence coach in the world, the best pack in the world, the best defence coach in the world, the best water boy in the world, the best defence coach in the world, the best masseuse in the world , the best defence coach in the world, the best odour in the world and the best defence coach in the world as well, it's fairly clear to me that Wales' contenders should primarily be from their pack. Parkes and Williams really added to their defence and Adams was clinical when he had to be but it's hard to justify picking the 9, 10 and 13 of a team that struggled to/didn't score many tries.
So what you're saying is Farrell is the best 10, because England scored the most tries by far? :p

Typical English arrogance!

Haha!! Farrell would have been mine but for that 2nd half v Scotland, not a tournament for the 10 in general!
He was pretty gash in the Wales second half too. Still in a tournament with no standout 10's you have to give to him or Biggar.

I'm struggling with much of this, particularly if I constrain myself to the rules of the OP. No scrum halves or fly halves did much in an attacking sense on a consistent basis, there didn't seem to be much turnover ball at the breakdown or great tactical kicking and a lot of the tries seemed to come from defensive lapses. I find it harder to identify great or poor defensive play, so apologies for oversight there. Random players that impressed me are:

Backline

Kinghorn (for attacking play) & Liam (for consistency and defence)
Adams
D'Arcy (the real deal)

Centres

Slade only (possibly best global 13 by default along with JD2, man the game needs more centres like Slade, not even the AB centres remotely excite me and this is my favourite position)

Flyhalf

Anscombe (for bottle and ability at fullback)
Finn (for attacking play only)

Scrum half- nil

Loosies

Curry
Ritchie

Locks

AWJ
Ruzza

Front Row

Sinckler
Ken Owens

Player of tournament - Adams, AWJ or Slade

...Esposito...all had good, individual, tournaments

You trolling *******! :D

15. Williams
14. Penaud
13. Slade
12. Tualagi
11. May
10. N'Tamack
9. Dupont

1. Healy
2. Ghiraldini
3. Francis
4. AWJ (Captain + Player of the tournament)
5. Ryan
6. Ritchie
7. Curry
8. Navidi

Not trying to be a douche but you cant pick two 12s in the first team. That team would get destroyed on the defensively.
Many Tualagi isn't a 12. He's spent most of his life playing 13.

Wales won the grandslam via defence and that was led by Jon Davies. He is in at 13.

Also has a Welsham Moriarty was not all that as an 8. Navidi at 8 making room for Watson.

So he can't pick Tuilagi at 13 because he played 12 (even though he did play 13 against Italy), but you can pick Navidi at 8 even though he mostly played and was picked at 6, because that's where he regularly plays? Really hope you can see the hypocrisy there. Just to be clear, Tuilagi plays 13 for Leicester.

Last edited:
So he can't pick Tuilagi at 13 because he played 12 (even though he did play 13 against Italy), but you can pick Navidi at 8 even though he mostly played and was picked at 6, because that's where he regularly plays? Really hope you can see the hypocrisy there. Just to be clear, Tuilagi plays 13 for Leicester.

Navidi went to 8 in almost every game for 25-20 mins each time though. Being picky Navidi is actually a 7.

Also saving Tuillagi cant defend the outside very well as he isnt a natural 13 as he fits the 12 mould far better. His defence is a weakness for him.

Latest posts