• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

no, I don't think numbers have been published but it's believed that Leinster is the most expensive team in rugby since mid 10s Toulon.

I doubt it. It is very hard to tell due to central contracts being on the IRFU's books in general our players salaries aren't quite as high as in France or England I believe but they probably do get Saracens style benefits and have other benefits like the player management protocol and a nice tax regime for athletes.

I doubt it. It is very hard to tell due to central contracts being on the IRFU's books in general our players salaries aren't quite as high as in France or England I believe but they probably do get Saracens style benefits and have other benefits like the player management protocol and a nice tax regime for athletes.
Unfortunately alot of tax benefit is gone now

Hard to tell but I'd say Leinster's salary is right up there. There are around 30 internationals in the squad which won't come cheaply. Whether it's the IRFU paying directly through national contracts or the IRFU paying indirectly through Leinster contracts, it must cost a serious wedge to pay everyone.

Hard to tell but I'd say Leinster's salary is right up there. There are around 30 internationals in the squad which won't come cheaply. Whether it's the IRFU paying directly through national contracts or the IRFU paying indirectly through Leinster contracts, it must cost a serious wedge to pay everyone.

No doubt it's not cheap but peak Toulon is a serious budget of around 35m I believe. I'm doubtful we're up there, sure there's loads of internationals but how many of them are still on contracts before they got serious caps and how many of them are internationals in the mould of McFadden?

In recent years we've lost the likes of Heaslip and SOB who would have been on the massive contracts and a mid level drain with McGrath and Murphy, I reckon we have four or five players who are on the really high salaries by rugby standards and Toulon had twice that while pretty much every player was signed while established.

No doubt it's not cheap but peak Toulon is a serious budget of around 35m I believe. I'm doubtful we're up there, sure there's loads of internationals but how many of them are still on contracts before they got serious caps and how many of them are internationals in the mould of McFadden?

In recent years we've lost the likes of Heaslip and SOB who would have been on the massive contracts and a mid level drain with McGrath and Murphy, I reckon we have four or five players who are on the really high salaries by rugby standards and Toulon had twice that while pretty much every player was signed while established.
That's total budget, not just player wages.

Rob Webber retiring at the end of the season - going to "pursue other avenues within the game"

Got a feeling he's going to coach in America - possibly NY

Possibly negotiating his "leaving under mutual agreement"?
Apparently missed the media day yesterday as he was in a meeting with the chairman.

Either Young might be going through some personal things, whatever that might be could be something like a surgery.
Or they have someone lined up and waiting to sign that up before moving Young to a different position maybe.

Or just crap wording, which seems to be the thing for some rugby clubs (Cough tigers cough)

Fair point on the "crap wording" - to me, an interim period means "Dai has stepped down, we don't have a replacement lined up, so are promoting from within whilst we hunt for a new coach".
Of course, it could also mean "we do have someone else lined up, but he can't start yet; and Dai still needs to go"

For me, "Dai is stepping back, temporarily, but will be back in a few months" would classically be a sabatical, or "temporary leave of absence"

Of course, as there's nothign official yet, bad wording, or a misunderstanding by a journalist could be very plausible - I guess we have to wait and see.

Hope it's nothing serious and personal.

ETA: BBC now saying "Wasps director of rugby Dai Young is to step back from first-team duties for an unspecified period, say the Coventry-based Premiership club."
So it's temporaty leave of absence then.
Hope everything is okay for Dai and Dai's.

Last edited:

Latest posts