• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 2: Argentina v South Africa (25/08/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

77TMMVD.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: Estadio Malvinas
Time: 21:10 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Bok Team
South Africa:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Makazole Mapimpi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 André Esterhuizen, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Francois de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Siya Kolisi (captain), 6 Francois Louw, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: 16 Mbongeni Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Rudolph Snyman, 20 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Lionel Mapoe, 23 Damian Willemse.

Very similar to last week, Mostert and Snyman come in for Orie and van Staaden, Louw comes in for Thomas du Toit.

Reading between the lines, it feels like Rassie REALLY wants to win this one, all the changes made have increased our strength for the sake of our other goals of squad depth and transformation.
Good team though.

Bok Team
South Africa:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Makazole Mapimpi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 André Esterhuizen, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Francois de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Siya Kolisi (captain), 6 Francois Louw, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: 16 Mbongeni Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Rudolph Snyman, 20 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Lionel Mapoe, 23 Damian Willemse.

Very similar to last week, Mostert and Snyman come in for Orie and van Staaden, Louw comes in for Thomas du Toit.

Reading between the lines, it feels like Rassie REALLY wants to win this one, all the changes made have increased our strength for the sake of our other goals of squad depth and transformation.
Good team though.

Can't complain too much about the changes. I understand why Mostert gets a start, in helping Marx at the lineouts and getting that right.

Can't complain too much about the changes. I understand why Mostert gets a start, in helping Marx at the lineouts and getting that right.
I think our locks are in a very healthy place at the moment, as are our props, if we have issues it's not really tight five. Only concern is a Marx injury but one or two guys have put their hands up.

LHs: Beast/Kitsoff/Trevor/ few others
THs: Malherbe/Louw/Thomas dT/ few others
Locks: Eben/PsdT/Mostert/RG Snyman/Orie if we have to

Then Lood and Coenie still need to come back from injury.

In most cases we have a good 2 reserve options are fairly strong quality in each of those positions.

Pity we can't say the same for 9... or 2... or 8... or 11... or 14...

Last edited:
I think our locks are in a very healthy place at the moment, as are our props, if we have issues it's not really tight five. Only concern is a Marx injury but one or two guys have put their hands up.

LHs: Beast/Kitsoff/Trevor/ few others
THs: Malherbe/Louw/Thomas dT/ few others
Locks: Eben/PsdT/Mostert/RG Snyman/Orie if we have to

Then Lood and Coenie still need to come back from injury.

In most cases we have a good 2 reserve options are fairly strong quality in each of those positions.

Pity we can't say the same for 9... or 2... or 8... or 11... or 14...

I'm perhaps a bit more optimistic here.

I agree with you at hooker, but then again Bongi has been improving every chance he gets. If Bismarck can be injury free, then that would also be great. Akker hasn't had much chances yet, but then I also see him more of an impact player, like Lukas van Biljon a while ago.

At 9 we have Faf, Papier, Cronje and Van Zyl in the group already. And Cobus Reinach is basically begging for a chance, I also think that should Shaun Venter have a good season with the Cheetahs, that he'll also be in the running.

At 8 we have Vermeulen and Whiteley. And then we have Flouw, Kolisi, Carr, Notshe and even PSDT. Also don't forget about Dan Du Preez, and Trokkie (Augustus) is being hyped for WP's Currie Cup campaign.

At the wings we have Mapimpi, Dyanthi, Nkosi and perhaps Le Roux at the moment, and then we have Travis Ishmaiel & Warrick Gelant on the injury list, while Mvovo and Jamba Ulengo playing Currie Cup.

I do see your point Hein but, for me the quality isn't there in the same way.
Other than Vermulen if Faf/Marx/Dyanti get injured I think we lose a fair deal of quality, specifically at 9, as much as Faf has his issues at the moment there us a big step down. Ivan van Zyl in particularly I found grossly inadequate. Cronje can probably do a job, but Papier is super green.

Anyway it's looking fine, I still don't think we can win the world cup next year but my expectations are so low at this point, I'd really just like to see us establish ourselves as being solidly in the top 3/4 in the world over the next couple years. Then we can look to 2023.

WTF? just switched on and it's 27-7. Come on the Pumas!!! Can they keep it up in the second half.

don't know..we did hAve a few lucky ones here. like etzebets stupidity but we.can't have the same.luck in the second half

For a second i thought we were playing australian rules. Apparently tackling someone on the air is not a yc anymore. It s just a "timing issue".

Btw, the first 40 min were arguably the worst i ve ever seen from RSA. You had over 10 missed tackles in the first 20 min. You making us look good.

well it's over! well done they hold through the 2nd halve!
I'm waiting for de doom ish bokke fans coments
was delguy the man of the match?

Pretty happy about being so god damn wrong.

Last edited:
Great win for Los Pumas. They looked tired as the Boks looked to come flying home with a wet sail, but managed to hold them out, and came close to pinching another try at the end.

Great win for Los Pumas. They looked tired as the Boks looked to come flying home with a wet sail, but managed to hold them out, and came close to pinching another try at the end.
looked like ledesma hold the replacements a little bit to much

Just one of those days for the Boks. Thought the referee was against them. Argentina had a purple spell just before half time and the Boks didn't take their chances. Still fancy the Boks to beat Australia home and away.

Good on ya Pumas. Excellent result.
Well deserved. SA back to 7th.
Could see them slipping to 8th before this is over.

Really didn't see los pumas winning a game this championship, really happy for them.

Mind you, thought the Boks were back to the vintage of the last few years last night.

Springbok fans are the most negative fans I've ever come across. One defeat and it's the end of the world. Argentina played well and are are difficult to beat at home. I still think you'll beat the Aussies.

Latest posts