• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] South Africa v Australia (01/10/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065418551640.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065414622115.png

Venue: Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Time: 17:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Referee: Wayne Barnes
Assistan Referees: John Lacey & George Clancy
TMO: Jim Yuille

Teams

South Africa: 15 Pat Lambie, 14 Bryan Habana, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Francois Hougaard, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Willem Alberts, 21 Jaco Kriel, 22 Lionel Mapoe, 23 Willie le Roux

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Dane Haylett-Petty, 13 Samu Kerevi, 12 Bernard Foley, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Sean McMahon, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Dean Mumm, 5 Adam Coleman, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (captain), 1 Scott Sio

Subs: 16 James Hanson, 17 James Slipper, 18 Tom Robertson, 19 Kane Douglas, 20 Scott Fardy, 21 Lopeti Timani, 22 Nick Phipps, 23 Tevita Kuridrani, 24 Sefa Naivalu

Last edited:
I know I might regret this, but I am predicting SA to win this one with 3 - 5 points. I will make my final prediction once the teams are announced.

I am going to miss this match. It's my brother's wedding. Why are people getting married during rugby season???

I am going to miss this match. It's my brother's wedding. Why are people getting married during rugby season???

Haha man that is bad luck... I am going to miss this match, but it is going to be by choice. I am to young to die of a heart attack.

Last edited:
This is our one chance to salvage this RC as just bad, rather than a complete disaster.
If we beat Argies and Aus at home, while losing to them away, at least we maintain parity with the non-Kiwi sides.

A must win.
For me Elton has been given more than enough chances, he's never going to be the Bok fly-half and we should stop pretending he is. I would be much more confident with Lambie's name on the team sheet (and I don't even rate Lambie).

This is our one chance to salvage this RC as just bad, rather than a complete disaster.
If we beat Argies and Aus at home, while losing to them away, at least we maintain parity with the non-Kiwi sides.

A must win.
For me Elton has been given more than enough chances, he's never going to be the Bok fly-half and we should stop pretending he is. I would be much more confident with Lambie's name on the team sheet (and I don't even rate Lambie).

Well we might get our wish, as Lambie has been given the all clear from a medical viewpoint.

I have feeling Lambie is going to start on the bench and come on early second half.

Yeah I think Goosen is going to start at 10 with Lambie on the Bench and Willie at 15 and Kriel at 13.

I hope you are correct, but the pessimist in me thinks that Janties is still going start at 10 with Goosen at 15.

Yeah I think Goosen is going to start at 10 with Lambie on the Bench and Willie at 15 and Kriel at 13.

Ahh Hein, ever the optimist.

Unchanged line-up except for some prop shuffling and maybe JdJ or someone irrelevant being dropped

Oh the situation SA rugby fans are in...
Never would i have rooted for the inclusion of a guy who has only played the cumulative total of two matches this year and spent the previous year mostly injured as well.
That's how bad the consensus is against Jantjies, that people are willing to go to such extremes to oust him. I share the choirs sentiment. Its just funny how desperate we have become.

Lambie at 10 wont disappoint and Goosen at 10 wont disappoint. They have proven their international class. I know all the problems wont just suddenly disappear if Jantjies gets replaced but i'm pretty confident we will improve and if we came so close to Australia at home playing horse**** rugby then there is no chance we are losing this game at home. We cant hope for anything from the coaches side. We the supporters have to rely on individual player talent over the next period while AC and his backroom staff is in charge ( especially his backroom staff) and this weekend hopefully a new fly halve might just turn around our fortunes that little bit.

Mvovo, de Allende and Malcolm Marx released for Currie Cup duty..

Malcolm Marx...

*weeps softly*

Like Sker said, I don't think AC is going to make a lot of changes to the starting 15. Probably going to be bigger changes on the bench.

At the outset of the tournament I'd have fancied Australia for this, but in amongst the pessimism of the SA performance vs New Zealand I think some lost sight of a highly competitive first half performance (still baffled why they radically changed tactics in the second half). So even though I consider Australia the third best side in the world on merit, and even though they have had good results and decent performances in the past fortnight at home, I'm wavering on this one.

Interesting to see Coetzeer getting a kicking coach brought in and making remarks that Folau was really good when they kicked the ball to him last time (well, duh!). For me they need to either play like the first half (retain ball through five or six phases, and kick if not getting anywhere) and keep the Lions halfbacks (and maybe Mapoe again if he is in the 23) OR play as AC seems to prefer, with a lot of early phase grubbers and high balls. If the latter, I think both Lions halfbacks should go as their kicking has been shown up repeatedly and as AC himself says (presumably not being something they do much with the Lions who from what I saw largely keep ball in hand regardless of where they are in the pitch). The international test arena is not a place to be coaching players on fundamental kicking and putting them in the squad. Also interesting to read AC reportedly has less funding and coaches than his predecessor, so maybe I should cut him some slack.

I'll reserve scoreline prediction until I see the lineups, but I think there is a chance it'll be pretty high quality (and more high quality than I would have predicted at the start of the tournament).

I don't know how accurate this is (it is on Sport24...) but the article says Rudy Paige and Morne Steyn are going to be starting for the Springboks. I really really hope this is incorrect.

Link: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/paige-steyn-set-to-start-for-boks-20160928

Oh no!!! those guys are usually spot on when it comes to the possible teams. I think they watch what positions the players are training in at practice.
If that's the case then we might be throwing away possibly our only home win.

I don't know how accurate this is (it is on Sport24...) but the article says Rudy Paige and Morne Steyn are going to be starting for the Springboks. I really really hope this is incorrect.

Link: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/paige-steyn-set-to-start-for-boks-20160928

Oh no!!! those guys are usually spot on when it comes to the possible teams. I think they watch what positions the players are training in at practice.
If that's the case then we might be throwing away possibly our only home win.

:D

Paige and Steyn at Loftus might not be such a bad move though... At altitude, and their home ground, might just be a good idea to play a more controlled, perhaps reserved approach to secure a win.

The team will only be announced tomorrow at 13:00 though...

Paige and Steyn at Loftus might not be such a bad move though... At altitude, and their home ground, might just be a good idea to play a more controlled, perhaps reserved approach to secure a win.

The team will only be announced tomorrow at 13:00 though...

Steyn and Hougaard would've been better.

Latest posts