• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Argentina v Australia (08/10/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065412996251.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065414622115.png

Venue: Twickenham,London
Time: 20:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Referee: TBA
Assistant Referees: TBA
TMO: TBA

Despite recent results Pumas are showing a lot more firepower and decent "super rugby" style for almost 60 min of play. If they manage to keep themselves in scoring range i can see a win here.

Pumas by 5.

it will depend on the amount of "gifts"we offer to the wallabies if you give up an uncontested ball in your own 5. like creevy in that line up. theres no hope
cos aussies will punish things like that. so it will be another game of posetion and slowly working our way to aus 25 and the making silly mistakes, allowing oz to score some simple backline plays. this is mostlly the case when we play vs oz.
if the manage to keep consentration it is posible but not likely
what about the croud in london . i m not shure who the english hate the most arg or oz?? what do you guys think?

Have the Pumas ever won more than one game in the same RC? Or finished better than last? If not then those would be pretty massive objectives.

Yep i think last one we finished 3rd hahaha. A second win would be a record so this match should be a nice one.

On paper, i like our odds, but if i see our last games vs Aus, it's as if they have some sort of attack bonus against us. Every single mistake we make costs us 7 points. It's that simple.
I sincerely do not believe they are that better than us, but we struggle against them a lot. It might be a style thing, but their game appears to counter ours very well. Until 2010 i would have picked to face Australia as opposed to RSA, 10 times out of 10. Now i'd pick RSA without hesitation. Our "more open" style, when executed properly, has provided decent results against Ireland, RSA, France and to a degree, NZ, but not against Australia. They are particularly good at slowing us down at the breakdown too, which is key for our strategy. They are a more disciplined team, too.

I don't think the crowd will make a difference. Some of our best performances have been away. To answer petite's question Australia is arguably just as hated as us, if not a tad more.

- - - Updated - - -

Have the Pumas ever won more than one game in the same RC? Or finished better than last? If not then those would be pretty massive objectives.
2015 we finished 3rd, but that was a WC year to be fair.

it will depend on the amount of "gifts"we offer to the wallabies if you give up an uncontested ball in your own 5. like creevy in that line up. theres no hope
cos aussies will punish things like that. so it will be another game of posetion and slowly working our way to aus 25 and the making silly mistakes, allowing oz to score some simple backline plays. this is mostlly the case when we play vs oz.
if the manage to keep consentration it is posible but not likely
what about the croud in london . i m not shure who the english hate the most arg or oz?? what do you guys think?

Australia, no question. To be honest, the England-Argentina rivalry exists much more in the minds of you guys than us - I wasn't even aware it was a thing until I met a couple of guys from Buenos Aires in Rio when I was about 25.

Australia, no question. To be honest, the England-Argentina rivalry exists much more in the minds of you guys than us - I wasn't even aware it was a thing until I met a couple of guys from Buenos Aires in Rio when I was about 25.

I honestly didn't realise there was a rivalry until I read this post. Thing is, there's so many Aussies in London, you'll never realise it was in London once inside...

Yeah, there's no real rivalry between England and Argentina that I've ever been aware of.

But there are something like 100,000 Australians living in England, so I'd imagine there will be a large amount of plebeian waste in attendance.

Last edited:
no rivality ?? remember malvinas war?? remeber the hand of god? it seems you guys have too many foes to be thinking of us!!
agree it is not a big revality when it comes to rugby.
for me beating engaland is the n 1 satisfaction at any sport. :)

Last edited:
no rivality ?? remember malvinas war?? remeber the hand of god? it seems you guys have too many foes to be thinking of us!!

Yep, that's the gist of it! The Welsh, Scottish, Irish (Republic and about half the north), Australians, French and Argentinians all think we're their number one enemy ... sadly we just don't have the time to give every one our full attention!

FWIW, I personally think of Wales as our bitterest rival in rugby, I actually call Argentina my second favourite national side. In cricket it's the Aussies, of course

We do seem to attract a lot of dislike for some reason... ;)

In football, yeah. But in rugby, there's too many historical big opponents for us that come to mind.

In general though, for the average Englishman in most sports, if you ask "Does England dislike X more than Australia", unless X is actually Adolf Hitler's first paedophile XI, the answer is no. Australia is the great enemy of English sport.

I was cheering for Argentina when they played Ireland in the world cup. Always cheer for them if they are playing anyone else but England

Actually our rugby is here in great part to English man. From Railroad workers to elite doing bussiness here in the 1890+. Clubs have english founders that came from brits families(or 2nd generations), some of them even played cricket(boring sport ever along with baseball).

So yey, buuu them on Saturday for us. Also i find delightful that you can exprience hands down our pain seeing Pumas play live hahaahah

Returning to this match. Is pretty obvious than the UAR made a major mistake, selling the locally of the match to London, and the people here in Arg. are very angry with this decision. I only hope they never make this mistake again.
About the rivalries... in football the number 1° for us is Brazil, then Uruguay, and then maybe Germany and England. In Rugby for recent matches in World Cups (99, 03, 07 and 15) I will say Ireland and maybe France, but not England, definitely.

They're playing at Twickenham. What a weird venue for a Southern Hemisphere game :D

Why you guys talking about colonialism and not about the ABSOLUTE DISGRACE that is giving up our home advantage for some $$$? This is pathetic and embarassing from UAR.

agreed i would like to see this game.!! some pointed out that the pumas had a horrible amount of miles traveled. so its realy ****ty to ad 10000 more miles and make the oz travel 10000 less.. not smart

Last edited by a moderator:
you have some points right but lets drop it it´s completely off topic!! as marianodan said we better go back to the game!

- - - Updated - - -

agreed i would like to see this game.!! some pointed out that the pumas had a horrible amount of miles traveled. so its realy ****ty to ad 10000 more miles and make the oz travel 10000 less.. not smart
How does Oz travel less miles to get to England over Argentina?

You could argue they are coming over for the AI's but both sides are doing that so point is kinda void.

you are right its longer trip to eng by 2000 miles. anyway we are still doing 10000 extra miles

Last edited:
I dont think is the UAR issue itself. As far as i know, venues were charging a lot for the tests. So UAR had to go elsewhere because it could not afford both matches.8actually they never had the money but previous years goberment put the $$$ needed).

I hope given the 2027 presentation of Argentina as candidate for RWC that they create a stadium for rugby. A small 40k seat is all we need for Jags/Pumas.

Latest posts