[2015 ITM Cup] Discussion

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Thought I'd start a thread to see who people rate in the ITM Cup as exciting prospects - and whether you think they should get picked up by a Super Rugby team.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes pick up Otere Black, Nehe Milner-Skudder and Waisake Naholo (we really should also secure Marty Banks...not too concerned if we keep James Marshall).

Thought I'd start a thread to see who people rate in the ITM Cup as exciting prospects - and whether you think they should get picked up by a Super Rugby team.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes pick up Otere Black, Nehe Milner-Skudder and Waisake Naholo (we really should also secure Marty Banks...not too concerned if we keep James Marshall).

The Canes selecting young talent from within their region? Unlikely.....

A few more names that have impressed me:

Matt Moulds (though will have to work on his lineout throwing... like all NZ hookers)
Greg Pleasants-Tate
Alex Hodgman
Joe Latta
Rob Thomson (not exactly new, but looks good as a midfielder)
Joe Macali-Tori
Joe Webber

The Canes selecting young talent from within their region? Unlikely.....

Joe Webber

Yeah, good point. To be fair, we don't exactly select exciting young talent from other regions either. We just pick poor Wellington players (although it may be a bit more of a joke after this season, but with Boyd in charge...) or we pick journeymen from outside the region.

I agree pretty much all of those names. That said as much as Webber has impressed me...I want Joe Webber's face on my television set as little as possible...p2156.jpg

Looks like the love-child of Roger Randle and Ben Blair..

I've watched mainly Manawatu games and have been impressed with Otere Black too. He plays a pretty structured style and seems to make the right decisions a lot of the time, which is rare for such a young player. Seems to be a good goalkicker too. The Hurricanes should absolutely snap him up, and if he was playing for Wellington he would already have a 2 year deal, but like you guys already mentioned they hardly look outside Wellington so I'm sure Garden-Bachop or Chase Tiatia will get picked over him.

Ryan Tongia is another one who has impressed me for the bay - I just google searched him and he is an Aussie ex league player - random.

Jone Macilai is also pretty electric for Northland.

Rob Thompson was originally a midfielder in palmy - not sure why he was put on the wing last year but he definitely looks better to be back in the midfield.

I've been watching a lot of ITM Cup and I really like this thread. I like the look of Joe Latta, good strong Lock who is not afraid to get in the mix, with Bekhuis going to the Blues I would have to say the Highlanders need to sharpen their pencils and sign him. The other player who I have been really impressed with is Alex Hodgman who is playing Loosehead Prop from Canterbury. Kid is 21 years old and is scrumaging well, when he is on the field he has a high work rate and is very mobile for a big man playing some big minutes at Canty, Saders need to sign him or he might get picked up by the Canes they are in need of some quality front rowers right now.

Other than who has already been mentioned I've been impressed with prop Loni Uhila's work at the breakdown for Waikato. He's probably the best fetcher in the squad.

As I've already said in other threads, Marty McKenzie should get a spot somewhere, and Seta Tamanivalu would be a good wing option who can also cover centre.

From Auckland Blake Gibson and TJ Fiane have been impressive. The later may even find himself picking up a full Blues squad spot with the major gaps in the centers there. I assume Francis Saili and Phita Ahki will start, who in there own right are questionable super rugby starters, then who on earths gonna be backup?

Just want to say, first to call NMS and Naholo.......

Given both their ITM cup performances, it wasn't surprising they would be good. But it's really surprising HOW good they have been, simply world class.

[2015 ITM Cup] Round 1

The season kicks of tomorrow night!

Predictions? Expectations? Players to watch out for?

Go go go!

Counties all the way my friends ;P... beat the favourites Canterbury in the warmup so get that into ya - not sure how that happened but just a young Counties team so looking forward to seeing what magic Tana can conjure before taking over the Blues....also like the look of Auckland starring players like Akira Iaone, Blake Gibson, George Moala and Bryce Heem......11 players making their Auckland debut so will be interesting...

I am very excited about this to see which players emerge from this season. Hoping for a good season by Manawatu!

The guys i think are one to watch:-
Setareki Taminivalu - Centre/Taranaki
Anton Linert-Brown - Centre/Waikato
Lalakai Foketi - Centre/Bay of Plenty
Heiden Bedwell-Curtis - Flanker/Turbos
Joe Latta - Second Row/Otago

I'm hoping my Makos can go one better this season, and win the whole thing ... Doubtful though, as they are missing a few players in the back line. I see they are starting two new players on the wings, to replace Bryce Heem (who's gone to Auckland), and James Lowe (who's out for the season)

... One of them is Digby Ioane's brother http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/36103-2015-ITM-Cup-Round-1

James Broadhurst (Taranaki),Cory Jane (Wellington), Matt Todd (Canterbury), and Patrick Osborne (Canterbury) have all been released from All Black duty, and can turn out for their provences http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...changes-but-victor-vito-given-chance-to-shine

Southland looking good in that draw. Only concern was the reffing, no way was that a try to Southland that went upstairs (Heem was so obviously taken out) and the ref seemed hesitant to penalise at ruck time.

Latest posts