• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand in Johannesburg (04/10/2014)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140928063120745198.png

140928063121900466.png

15 Willie le Roux
14 Cornal Hendricks
13 Jan Serfontein
12 Jean de Villiers (c)
11 Bryan Habana
10 Handre Pollard
9 Francois Hougaard
8 Duane Vermeulen
7 Teboho Mohoje
6 Marcell Coetzee
5 Victor Matfield
4 Eben Etzebeth
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Reserves:

16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Marcel van der Merwe, 19 Bakkies Botha, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie,
23 JP Pietersen
140928063119976523.png

140928063118776761.png

15 Israel Dagg
14 Ben Smith
13 Conrad Smith
12 Malakai Fekitoa
11 Julian Savea
10 Beauden Barrett
9 Aaron Smith
8 Kieran Read
7 Richie McCaw (c)
6 Jerome Kaino
5 Sam Whitelock
4 Jeremy Trush
3 Owen Franks
2 Keaven Mealamu
1 Joe Moody

Reserves:

16 Dane Coles, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Charlie Faumuina, 19 Steven Luatua, 20 Liam Messam, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Colin Slade, 23 Ryan Crotty

Stadium: Ellis Park Stadium
Capacity: 62,567
City: Johannesburg
Referee: Wayne Barnes

140928063129799270.jpg

Last edited:
as a neutral, it's not nice to the Saffers but I want NZ to win this. Just for aesthetics' sake. They're too magnificent a team, I love watching them, and it would be just so unbelievably beautiful they would end up winning the trophy undefeated again. That draw must stick out like a sore thumb, the poor lads...most countries would revel in a draw Down Undah, but not the AB. For them it's near shameful it appears.

Reminds me so much of that meme:

readImage

gah, too tired right now to fill it up...

Nah, the best thing that could happen to the ABs looking ahead would be to go down in Jo'Burg. So, for their sake, I hope they gets trounced royally. It would just be such a blessing in the larger scheme of things.

What I am hoping to see form SA;
- Play rugby. Play it for 80 minutes. We've looked pretty good playing rugby. We havn't looked good trying to play the old 'pressure-without-the-ball-in-hand-game'; our personel are just too different now, particularly in the backs.
- Frontrow; rotate out Beast and Jannie- they simply aren't our best props any more and havn't been for a while now. Bring back Bismarck, we need his presence against NZ and I'm willing to bet he'll come good being handed back the starting responsibilities.
- 2nd and 3rd row we are just hanging on TBH what with Etzebeth the only 1st choicer and in poor form ATM. Luckily it's positions we have some depth in.
- It's a blessing in disguise we are without FdP and Pienaar. Hougaard doesn't add much more ITO game management so we might as well just give Reinach more opportunities seeing as he brings a ****load ITO game breaking potential in a ball-in-hand type of game which is the direction we are slowly.. oh, so slowly, moving toward.
- we need Le Roux, Habana and Serfontein to get into the game more. More accuracy from these players, particularly Le Roux. In the absence of F Steyn and J Fourie it's good Serfontein has stepped up and he has been a tower of solidity at 13 bar struggling to contain that beast Kuridrani on the weekend but that said he has gotten into the game more and more on the weekend which was good to see.

Agree with Stormer here.

Although I don't think we should change the team too much. I'd stick with Hougaard at 9. He deserved his MOTM performance, and while I love Reinach's attacking ability, it will be Hougaard's defence that will count in his favour. Especially against the All Blacks.

There's nothing wrong with our attacking prowess. And I think our main focus this week is to make sure our Defence is solid and that we know how to finish off our chance if we get it.

Etzebeth has been a pedestrian in the pack, along with Jannie. I would gladly swap them for Bakkies and Marcel.

And who would have thought Victor was such a good flanker??

its games like this NZ need to perform. Next year all the neutrals in the UK will be baying for our blood, they would love to see us lose like 07 again.
We will have hostile crowds at most matches and if we come up against England in the final it will be a similar atmosphere to Ellis Park. Important game but not end of world important

its games like this NZ need to perform. Next year all the neutrals in the UK will be baying for our blood, they would love to see us lose like 07 again.
We will have hostile crowds at most matches and if we come up against England in the final it will be a similar atmosphere to Ellis Park. Important game but not end of world important

Get there first..

24 more years...

Get there first..

Hence the word IF, thanks for strengthening my point that NZ seems to have a lot of haters out there. I suppose when you are one of the most successful teams in all sports in all of history then it comes with the territory......and sit back.

Hence the word IF, thanks for strengthening my point that NZ seems to have a lot of haters out there. I suppose when you are one of the most successful teams in all sports in all of history then it comes with the territory......and sit back.

Don't take my comment so seriously! Anyway, maybe it's because English is my second language but the way I interpreted the 'if' was that it was refering to England; or rather that one of NZ or England were certain for the final and I assumed you'd mean NZ. If I misinterpreted it I'd be very greatful to be corrected; one can always learn.

Edit; And that 2nd part is true though of course; everyone will be out for blood when their turn comes. You should be glad for it.

Last edited:
Don't take my comment so seriously! Anyway, maybe it's because English is my second language but the way I interpreted the 'if' was that it was refering to England; or rather that one of NZ or England were certain for the final and I assumed you'd mean NZ. If I misinterpreted it I'd be very greatful to be corrected; one can always learn.

Edit; And that 2nd part is true though of course; everyone will be out for blood when their turn comes. You should be glad for it.

Haha, your english is fine! I guess paranoia comes with the territory too! Back on topic....

yes stormer's English is, heh...well, tolerable, but I must admit I really wish he'd make an effort to learn the language a little bit more. Although, it's true, patience is a virtue...
Apparently Habana could miss this final date I read.

yes stormer's English is, heh...well, tolerable, but I must admit I really wish he'd make an effort to learn the language a little bit more. Although, it's true, patience is a virtue...
Apparently Habana could miss this final date I read.

Well, I can only try. At times it does seem to me as if the language just leaves my mind totally.

Habana would be missed. He has been THE one player that has been able through the years to consistently score against NZ and some tries will be neede I'd imagine. Particularly with the lack of goal kicking form both of Pollard and Lambie has been in. Mvovo and JPP are able replacements though. If he weren't injured I've have prefered the in-form rookie (though he is a world 7's star TBF) Senatla starting at 11 but he is just one of a legion of unavailable Bokke. I know the Aussies have been moaning about their injured but, damnit we're at least as injury hit if not more;

3 Malherbe 1st choice, Adriaanse 3rd choice
4 Flip van der Merwe 2nd choice
5 PSdT 1st choice, FvdM 2nd
6 Louw 1st choice
7 Alberts 1st choice, A Botha 2nd
8 Vermeulen 1st choice
9 FdP 1st choice, Pienaar 2nd
11 Habana 1st choice, Senatla ?
12 F Steyn 2nd choice
13 J Fourie 1st choice

just kidding, your English is a shiny as a crazy diamond. But stormer, we know South Africa is injured though. There's a post from you stating that with a 1-to-15 list about every 30cm on almost every TRC thread !! :p think I've even seen a few on the ARG AUS ones...
in fairness, Coetzee has got the work done in Louw's stead. And Malherbe, is he injured and/or really a 1st choice in Meyer's mind ? 23yo and 4 caps, that's a bit light for TRC in JdP's stead, no ?
As an outsider (someone who spends a lot of time outside..), the two guys I'd say they've been lacking has been Willem Alberts. His power is irreplaceable, for any team; and FdP for his wit and craftiness. But SA has had its major executives throughout though: Beast, du Plessis and Strauss, the other du Plessis, Etzebeth, Vermeulen, Habana, JdV, Le Roux...and Pollard is to be the 10 from now on, no more Steyn ? As for the other Steyn, he's a goner now for good, I reckon.

just kidding, your English is a shiny as a crazy diamond. But stormer, we know South Africa is injured though. There's a post from you stating that with a 1-to-15 list about every 30cm on almost every TRC thread !! :p think I've even seen a few on the ARG AUS ones...
in fairness, Coetzee has got the work done in Louw's stead. And Malherbe, is he injured and/or really a 1st choice in Meyer's mind ? 23yo and 4 caps, that's a bit light for TRC in JdP's stead, no ?
As an outsider (someone who spends a lot of time outside..), the two guys I'd say they've been lacking has been Willem Alberts. His power is irreplaceable, for any team; and FdP for his wit and craftiness. But SA has had its major executives throughout though: Beast, du Plessis and Strauss, the other du Plessis, Etzebeth, Vermeulen, Habana, JdV, Le Roux...and Pollard is to be the 10 from now on, no more Steyn ? As for the other Steyn, he's a goner now for good, I reckon.

It is something that touches me so deeply I suppose I just can't help it.

Malherbe is 1st choice, yes. HM has started him when fit. That is the problem though; staying fit.

I expect we are going to see HM bank heavily on Pollard and I agree regarding the other Steyn as well; not likely though I think he could be of great value. Brian Mujati, Heinrich Brussow and Frans Steyn. Those are three talents SA hasn't managed well and gotten the most out of IMO.

I suppose I just am the type of personality that lives- and too much so for my own good I am certain- on the 'what if' side of life.

Agree on Etsebeth. He has been a ruck inspector so far. Like Spies. Just does the bare minimum. Its always like that after a long injury lay off. He will come good I think. I really REALLY hope Schalk has another game like that in him. He was excellent when he came on. I also thought Matfield was everywhere for the full 80 minutes. He is incredibly fit for a 37 y/o. But like i said, i will be heavy impressed if we manage to win this game with an entire loose trio of 2nd choice players. Really hope we can win, but New Zealand are just so classy. If they do everything right on the day then we will bungle our way to a loss. All Blacks at their best is a sight. If we play the full 80 like the last 15 against Aus, and NZ play like they did at Ellis Park last year it could be epic!

This is going to be a real tough game for the AB's to get up for.
The saffers are so tough at home and this is the last stop on the road before a bit of a rest. It's a dead rubber as the RC goes but this is still Springboks vs All Blacks and the whole world will be watching as the two best teams get it on in the saffers back yard.
Too close to call at this stage but i have a feeling the saffers might pip it.

This is going to be a real tough game for the AB's to get up for.
The saffers are so tough at home and this is the last stop on the road before a bit of a rest. It's a dead rubber as the RC goes but this is still Springboks vs All Blacks and the whole world will be watching as the two best teams get it on in the saffers back yard.
Too close to call at this stage but i have a feeling the saffers might pip it.

Hansen has a way of getting his troops to feed off the energy of the opposing crowd like he did last year. He tells his boys this is why we play this game. Relish the challenge before you.The game against the Puma's was a good result with breath taking tries but not a good performance.This is the Bok's best chance .

Heard on the radio this morning Habana and Vermeulen might still feature. Habana has to clear a concussion test today and they'll give Duane right up till whistle blows to pass fit. I must say.. much as I love both these players or maybe because of it I hope they aren't forced in if not absolutely 100% fit.

Heard on the radio this morning Habana and Vermeulen might still feature. Habana has to clear a concussion test today and they'll give Duane right up till whistle blows to pass fit. I must say.. much as I love both these players or maybe because of it I hope they aren't forced in if not absolutely 100% fit.

Vermeleun is the equivalent of 2 players !

Latest posts