• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Australia v Argentina in Gold Coast (13/09/2014)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140906055844718478.png

140906055841786722.png

1 James Slipper
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Rob Simmons
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Ben McCalman
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Rob Horne
12 Matt Toomua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Peter Betham
15 Israel Folau

Reserves:

16 James Hanson, 17 Pek Cowan, 18 Ben Alexander, 19 James Horwill, 20 Scott Higginbotham, 21 Matt Hodgson, 22 Nic White, 23 Kurtley Beale.
140906055843937049.png

140906055847901990.png

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustín Creevy (c)
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Mariano Galarza
5 Matías Alemanno
6 Juan Manuel Leguizamón
7 Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe
8 Leonardo Senatore
9 Martín Landajo
10 Nicolás Sánchez
11 Manuel Montero
12 Juan Martín Hernández
13 Marcelo Bosch
14 Juan Imhoff
15 Joaquín Tuculet

Reserves:

16 Matías Cortese, 17 Bruno Postiglioni, 18 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 19 Benjamín, 20 Rodrigo Báez, 21 Tomás Cubelli, 22 Jerónimo de la Fuente, 23 Lucas González Amorosino

Stadium: Skilled Park
Capacity: 27,400
City: Gold Coast
Referee:

140907120418992119.jpg

Last edited:
A few more injuries for Australia, with both Wycliff Palu and Adam Ashley-Cooper ruled out. Scott Higginbotham is expected to replace Palu, with either Betham or the fit again Joe Tomane expected to replace AAC. I understand Henry Speight is now (finally) eligible for Australia, but is out with a hamstring injury (otherwise he would be the obvious choice). Will Genia, Benn Robinson, Saia Faingaa, and Jake Schatz are all training with the squad now too.

Meanwhile Lavanini has been suspended for one week (for a reckless charge on McCaw) so will miss the match. I imagine Argentina will miss his bulk at scrum-time, but I don't think it will be a major issue against Australia...

This has been an absolute awful year for us injury wise... we're basically fielding a Super Rugby team more than a test team at this point.

I imagine Argentina will miss his bulk at scrum-time, but I don't think it will be a major issue against Australia...

Yeah but Australia has shown many times that don't need to submit the opponent forward pack to beat Argentina. They are still favorites

Argentina have yet to get destroyed this year...maybe this is the one ? After two gigantic performances against the Boks and a fairly good one, truth be told (final score doesn't matter), in the hardest place in the world to get a win; I'm a bit scared Argentina are due their spanking for having dared participate with the big SANZAR boys.
I would just love a win here, and it would cement and realize the heroic efforts from the warriors in sky and white.
I'm afraid the Wallabies will be too quick on attack, the Pumas have resisted the Boks and pushed them extremely hard physically, but the Aussies can just start piling up those points on the scoreboard when they get a couple early...

It's interesting also how the Pumas will beat the crap out of NZ and SA in the scrum at this time of year and everybody thinks if they managed that, they'll absolutely pulverize Australia there but it fails to happen somehow. I don't think there's a way out for Kepu though, even with Australia being a much improved scrummaging side.
In all TRC logic, the Pumas should take the Aussies far and deep in this one away, and then get beat up badly at home later.

This has been an absolute awful year for us injury wise... we're basically fielding a Super Rugby team more than a test team at this point.

same story every year for us while NZ and SA come away relatively unscathed. Is there a fatal flaw in our S&C programs or injury management?

same story every year for us while NZ and SA come away relatively unscathed. Is there a fatal flaw in our S&C programs or injury management?

You have to wonder, but I also think it's also just a bit of rotten luck too. Both Moore and Pocock were just very unfortunate injuries, but with Speight it seemed more avoidable. In this day and age though it's hard to imagine that there's much our S&C guys don't know that is known elsewhere.

Wallabies team named:

1 James Slipper
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Rob Simmons
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Ben McCalman
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Rob Horne
12 Matt Toomua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Peter Betham
15 Israel Folau

Reserves:

16 James Hanson, 17 Pek Cowan, 18 Ben Alexander, 19 James Horwill, 20 Scott Higginbotham, 21 Matt Hodgson, 22 Nic White, 23 Kurtley Beale.

Last edited:
I think the Wallaby pack will get a right, royal rogering. If Argentina can keep them scrummaging (see Ireland v Australia, RWC2011) they could win, but their defence will have to be absolutely rock solid!

What worries me is that in the last two RC's this has been about the time that Argentina have started to fall off the pace.

Wallabies team named:

1 James Slipper
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Rob Simmons
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Ben McCalman
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Rob Horne
12 Matt Toomua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Peter Betham
15 Israel Folau

Reserves:

Simmons and Fardy again!!!??!!?! Why oh why do they keep getting selected???

If Argentina wins the toss they should chose to kick-off, then deliberately kick it directly into touch on the full. This would give Australia a scrum on halfway, which would allow Argentina to set the tone for the match ;) (of course Australia could choose to take the lineout, which would ruin my devious plan...).

A couple of interesting changes for Australia. TPN will add another dynamic ball runner (and tackler) to the pack, though he can be a bit inaccurate at times. I'm slightly surprised they stuck with the same locking combination, but I suppose they don't have any obvious replacements. Good to see McCalman starting at 8. I think he was Australia's best 8 throughout the Super Rugby season, and could stake a more permanent claim for the 8 jersey with a strong display. I assume Tomane is not yet 100% fit meaning Betham gets a shot. He at least adds some genunine pace to the Wallabies outside backs. I'm still not a fan of the 6/2 split on the bench (as it limits Australia's ability to use Beale as an impact player), but obviously the coaches are pretty happy with it..

Last edited:
Argentina would have beaten Australia last year if they had been even a small bit smarter. They just need to keep scrumming as much as possible.

I'm slightly surprised they stuck with the same locking combination, but I suppose they don't have any obvious replacements.

Carter and Simmons need to model themselves on Whitelock and Retallick instead of Pinky and the Brain.

Just thought I'd show you the SA injury list:

3 Frans Malherbe (1st choice)
4 Eben Etzebeth has been back only since the 2nd game against Arg and has been out for a full year prior to injury
5 PSdT (1st choice), Flip van der Merwe, Franco van der Merwe - why do you think we have 38y old Victor Matfield there..
7 Willem Alberts (1st choice), Arno Botha injured for two years now since making a fantastic debut with HM stating he is our way forward
9 Fourie du Preez (1st choice) and our MVP
13 Jaque Fourie though he is HM's 1st choice I have to say I'm glad we have tested out De Allende and Serfontein at 13
14 JP Pietersen again, I can't say I've missed JPP with Hendricks there though JF and JPP at 13 and 14 would certainly be huge ITO defense.

I wouldn't call us unscathed is all I'm getting at.

Argentina would have beaten Australia last year if they had been even a small bit smarter. They just need to keep scrumming as much as possible.

I think Argentina should knock the ball on deliberately if they have it in the Aussie half.

Oops, sorry for double posting; too early over here.

I think Argentina should knock the ball on deliberately if they have it in the Aussie half.

Oops, sorry for double posting; too early over here.

*Aus accent* coll thit a daable post ???....

double post.jpg

THIS is a daable post.

Latest posts