9. Nic White
10. Matt Toomua
11. Robbie Coleman
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

Reserves:

16. Ruaidhri Murphy , 17. Ruan Smith , 18. Allan Alaalatoa , 19. Fotu Auelua , 20. Tom McVerry , 21. Michael Dowsett , 22. Joe Tomane , 23. Pat McCabe
14071304181489643.png

140713041818946803.png

1. Jamie Mackintosh
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Ben Tameifuna
4. Mike Fitzgerald
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Liam Squire
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Aaron Cruden (c)
11. James Lowe
12. Bundee Aki
13. Tim Nanai-Williams
14. Asaeli Tikoirotuma
15. Dwayne Sweeney

Reserves:

16. Nathan Harris , 17. Pauliasi Manu , 18. Nick Barrett , 19. Matt Symons , 20. Tevita Koloamatangi , 21. Augustine Pulu , 22. Gareth Anscombe , 23. Tom Marshall

Stadium: Gio Stadium
Attendance: 25,011
City: Canberra
Referee: Craig Joubert

140713042303162145.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna be interesting this one - Brumbies looked very good against the Force, but then the Force made the Blues look like world beaters as well, so it's hard to know what to think.

This one should be a cracker. I'm expecting a hard fought clash to go down to the wire. At this stage, I will have to give it to the Brumbies due to the home ground advantage but I can see this going either way really. The Chiefs have seemingly willed their way into the finals and know how to win here.

I will of course be going for the Brumbies but as a Tahs fan, I think the Waratahs match up much better against the Chiefs. Hopefully the Highlanders pull off a miracle and send the Brumbies off to Christchurch in two weeks (assuming the Brumbies get the win).

I think the chiefs come into this game a in a lot better shape than they were during round robin when they had a lot of injuries, Cruden included.

Plus Messam finds an extra gear for finals footy :)

Also a really good sign that Bea sting Ben has found top form just in time for post season... TKB finding some mojo again as well.

Yeah the Chiefs hitting there straps at the right time, Brumbies are always hard to beat at home in finals footy though.

Will wait until teams are named to see how confident I am :)

brumbies for me, im not so impressed with this chiefs team I thought the blues gifted them the match on Saturday

Brumbies for me also, they look like the more stable team based on their season. At the same time you cant count out the Chiefs and you cant really call it an upset if the Chiefs win 'cos I wouldnt be surprised if they did.

Bugger Craig Joubert has been named as ref. His complete disregard for the offside law was one of the biggest contributors to how close last year's final was.

Only one change for the Chiefs. Sweeney comes in at fullback for Marshall who drops to the bench.

Yep.

Great to see the Chiefs stick with almost the same starting lineup (again). I'm not convinced about the 1 change they made though. Sweeney is a solid player, but he hasn't started at fullback this year (or for a few years?), and he doesn't offer the same spark in attack that Marshall offers. I do think Marshall's decision making needs some work, but apart from Cruden he has arguably been the Chiefs best attacking player in recent weeks....

Last edited:
Great to see the Chiefs stick with almost the same starting lineup (again). I'm not convinced about the 1 change they made though. Sweeney is a solid player, but he hasn't started at fullback this year (or for a few years?), and he doesn't offer the same spark in attack that Marshall offers. I do think Marshall's decision making needs some work, but apart from Cruden he has arguably been the Chiefs best attacking player in recent weeks....

It's one of these selections I just don't understand. Anscombe, Marshall, Horrell... I'd prefer all of them to Sweeney at fullback.

Brumbies:

1. Scott Sio
2. Josh Mann-Rea
3. Ben Alexander
4. Sam Carter
5. Leon Power
6. Scott Fardy
7. Jarrad Butler
8. Ben Mowen (c)
9. Nic White
10. Matt Toomua
11. Robbie Coleman
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

Replacements:

16. Ruaidhri Murphy , 17. Ruan Smith , 18. Allan Alaalatoa , 19. Fotu Auelua , 20. Tom McVerry , 21. Michael Dowsett , 22. Joe Tomane , 23. Pat McCabe

Chiefs:

1. Jamie Mackintosh
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Ben Tameifuna
4. Mike Fitzgerald
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Liam Squire
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Aaron Cruden (c)
11. James Lowe
12. Bundee Aki
13. Tim Nanai-Williams
14. Asaeli Tikoirotuma
15. Dwayne Sweeney

Replacements:

16. Nathan Harris , 17. Pauliasi Manu , 18. Nick Barrett , 19. Matt Symons , 20. Tevita Koloamatangi , 21. Augustine Pulu , 22. Gareth Anscombe , 23. Tom Marshall

Last edited:
the matt temooa and aaron cruden show.... chiefs centre pairing not strong enough for me... brumbies to take it :( i hope im wrong though....

Bugger Craig Joubert has been named as ref. His complete disregard for the offside law was one of the biggest contributors to how close last year's final was.

The Brumbies will be happy because the alternative was Steve Walsh; in the past, he and the Brumbies have been like oil and water

Quite looking forward to this match. Probably because there was no rugby on Friday night so I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms :)

I'm picking it will be quite a close match. Both sides have some clear strengths, but both have some obvious weaknesses too. The scrum battle will be interesting. Statistically the Brumbies have the worst scrum in the competition, but they have two very good props (at this level), and it wouldn't surprise me if they had an edge in this area. The Chiefs scrum has been a weakness over recent weeks and I do think Jamie MackIntosh is largely at fault. I would compare him to a large marshmallow at scrum time, but I think a Jamie Mackintosh sized marshmallow would actually be stronger in the scrum. MackIntosh is pretty handy around the park but I can't work out why the Chiefs continue to start him. I'm not a massive fan of Manu but he is solid around the park and the scrum noticeably improves the moment he has came on in recent weeks (even though he isn't really a noted scrummager). The Chiefs do have a clear edge at hooker though. Though Schwalger is past his best he still does his core jobs well, and Harris offers a bit from the bench. The Brumbies are missing their 1st and 2nd choice hookers, and I haven't been impressed by Mann-Rea, and his replacement (Murphy) can't throw the ball in straight to save himself (not surprising considering he is actually a prop!).

I think the Chiefs have and edge in the 2nd row. Retallick is world class, while Fitzgerald has developed into a good lock at this level too. Sam Carter is quality, but Power is hardly a standout. The loose-forwards are pretty evenly matched in my opinion. I rate both Mowen and Fardy, but Butler is a bit anonymous at this level. Messam has really stepped up in recent weeks, Latimer always gives 100%, and Squire has started to show some really good signs over the last few weeks too (largely due to getting a consistent run of games at 8).

The halves battle may be one of the key match-ups. White has been in great form all season, and Toomua was a real standout last weekend. Kerr-Barlow looks to be hitting form for the Chiefs though, Pulu is a real weapon from the bench, and Cruden is starting to look close to his best. Though I do rate the Brumbies halves duo I feel the Chiefs have an edge here - largely due to the fact that Cruden is the best 10 in the world when on song (which is the main reason I'm picking them to win). As Conrad Smith mentions the Brumbies do have the edge in the midfield, with Lealiifano and Kuridrani both playing well (not to mention the option of bringing in McCabe off the bench). In contrast Aki has been very quiet this season, while Nanai-Williams is wasted at centre.....

I feel the Brumbies have the advantage in the back 3 too, though it does depend how Mogg plays. When he is on form he is brilliant - he's got phenomenal pace and a booming punt - but he is prone to having a shocker under pressure. Speight was on fire last weekend, Coleman offers an intriguing play-making option out wide (ala James O'Connor), and Tomane could a real weapon when injected late in the match. The Chiefs back three in contrast aren't nearly as exciting. Tikoirotimu has some pace, hits hard on defense, and does everything at full speed but isn't really a major linebreaking threat. Lowe is a big guy with some pace (and a big punt) but is a rookie at this level, and still prone to the odd error. Sweeney is a solid utility to does well cutting back against the traffic but doesn't have a lot of pace and I can't remember the last time he played at fullback....

One thing that could be critical this match is goal-kicking, and is an area where the Chiefs have an edge. Not because Cruden's kicking is good either - he's actually had a pretty poor year with the boot so far (36/53 - 68%) - but rather because Leallifano's kicking has been shocking poor since his return (and they continue to persist with him). Since his return from injury Lealiifano has kicked 21/43 (49%), which is shocking by anyone's standards, let alone a class goal-kicker like Lealiifano! I can see why they are persisting with him as we know he can be a quality goal-kicker, but I can't help feeling they should go back to Nic White who kicked a very respectable 39/53 (74%) in Lealiifano's absence.

Overall I'm picking it to be a tight match, but I feel Chiefs will win in the end by 5-10 points.

Latest posts