• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] South Africa vs. New Zealand in Johannesburg (05/10/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

Ellis Park, Johannesburg (05/10/2013, 16:00 GMT)
South Africa.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
New Zealand.png

Referee: Nigel Owens
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Assistants: John Lacey
23px-IRFU_flag.svg.png
& Leighton Hodges
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Television match official: Graham Hughes
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

South Africa
TBD

New Zealand
TBD

It saves a lot of conversations between the ref and the AR ;)

Fixed it now. It was very early when I did these threads.

It saves a lot of conversations between the ref and the AR ;)

Fixed it now. It was very early when I did these threads.

Hahaha, but you work nightshift, so what's the problem??

BTW. I like your new Avatar!! Wanchors!!

Anyways, I'm of the opinion that we will win this match. I however am doubtful that we'll score 4 tries, and prevent them from scoring a losing bonus point or also 4 tries...

But what I am certain of, is that the reception the AIG's will recieve at Ellis Park, will be very hostile. There aren't many SA supporters who are over what happened in Auckland. Many are still fuming, and by having this game, in Joburg, could result in aggression being displayed by fans.

^ I guess that's the general expectation. If we open it up to score 4 tries we are essentially playing into their hands. Only needing to win by 8+ (still a big ask mind you) would have been doable with pinning them down and collecting teh penalties while taking the odd chance. We certainly didn't help ourselves over the weekend.

EDIT: something that we need to find an answer for is what to do with the upfield kick... NZ and Aus both have used this far too often and far too effectively against us; we are in their 22 applying pressure (their ball and and if we concede the slightest turn-over) and then they simply kick the ball upfield deep but not out. Now we don't seem up for a return run so we kick it out and usually within our half so all pressure gone and on us... Willie has the goods but he can't do it on his own and the guys need to be prepared and used to either return the ball in hand effectively or be dead accurate with the return kick.

Last edited:
^ I guess that's the general expectation. If we open it up to score 4 tries we are essentially playing into their hands. Only needing to win by 8+ (still a big ask mind you) would have been doable with pinning them down and collecting teh penalties while taking the odd chance. We certainly didn't help ourselves over the weekend.

The Only way I can see us score 4 tries, and not play into their hands will be to kick for the corners and maul it over. To do that 4 times however, is not easy...

What will play into our hands is the Altitude factor. And the long flight from Argentina back to SA. they are expected to land anytime now... and then will have basically 5 days to acclimatize.

Well, today and tomorrow I work the early shift (6 AM - 3 PM) so I had to get up at 4 and feel very tired still.

Do the boks make the win the priority or the bonus point... will they ever go for points or will they always go for touch?

The Only way I can see us score 4 tries, and not play into their hands will be to kick for the corners and maul it over. To do that 4 times however, is not easy...

What will play into our hands is the Altitude factor. And the long flight from Argentina back to SA. they are expected to land anytime now... and then will have basically 5 days to acclimatize.

I'm hoping for an early blitz TBH. A few hundred mauls would go over well as well I agree if we can get it into the corners, hell, maul it from everywhere IMO but they put a lot of pressure on our throw-ins last time round.

Flip van der Merwe has been banned for 1 week for dangerous play.

Deservedly so...

Now will we see the long awaited PSDT and Etzebeth combo???

I just want us to win. I don't care about the bonus point. I have a sneaky feeling New Zealand are gonna pull a Soccer City and play their best game of the year. Whether or not we can cope is the question.

I just want us to win. I don't care about the bonus point. I have a sneaky feeling New Zealand are gonna pull a Soccer City and play their best game of the year. Whether or not we can cope is the question.

yeah, I have that suspicion too. just as long as we win, will be vindication enough for me. I can then in my heart say that NZ were not the best team in the tournament.

yeah, I have that suspicion too. just as long as we win, will be vindication enough for me. I can then in my heart say that NZ were not the best team in the tournament.

Eh?

I can understand you concluding that NZ are not definitely the best team in the competition if the Boks were to win, but I don't see how the Boks winning would prove that they were the best.

Any news on JJ after he limped off? Having Serfontein at 12 and JdV at 13 is not too bad either. Serfontein impresses me every time he plays. After JdV, this kid is gonna be a big asset for the Boks.

We have a bunch of guys coming through in recent years at provincial and Super Rugby level, and it makes me smile. Etzebeth, Serfontein, Botha, du Toit, Vermeulen, Kolbe, Jordaan, Le Roux and many others will be serious options come 2015

Eh?

I can understand you concluding that NZ are not definitely the best team in the competition if the Boks were to win, but I don't see how the Boks winning would prove that they were the best.

It's a personal thing. I think NZ'ers have no idea as to how angry/frustrated/etc. us Saffas were with that Auckland spectacle.

Myself, my friends and family and many others are of the opinion that we would've won that match had it been not for the cards. We still feel that way. And we believe that we are better than the All Blacks.

I won't at all be surprized that even if the All Blacks win the RC, that the stadium will either be completely empty by the time the trophies are handed out or that there will be an ear-deafening amount of "Boo" chants when they recieve it.

It's a personal thing. I think NZ'ers have no idea as to how angry/frustrated/etc. us Saffas were with that Auckland spectacle.

Myself, my friends and family and many others are of the opinion that we would've won that match had it been not for the cards. We still feel that way. And we believe that we are better than the All Blacks.

I won't at all be surprized that even if the All Blacks win the RC, that the stadium will either be completely empty by the time the trophies are handed out or that there will be an ear-deafening amount of "Boo" chants when they recieve it.

Whether or not you think you would've won shouldn't influence your views. You didn't win, that's the only fact with regards to that match. It's not like the All Blacks were awarded a try in the last minute off a forward pass, the cards didn't directly lead to the outcome. I'm not suggesting the Springboks wouldn't have won regardless of the cards, but you just can't say with all certainty that they would've won had it not been for the cards (at least, you can't logically suggest this). I'll be charitable here and say it was evenly matched, which leaves this match in South Africa as the deciding point. That being said, a win for the Boks doesn't necessarily mean they're better, because they have the home advantage. Unless the Springboks comprehensively thrash the All Blacks, it'd be ridiculous to assert that the Springboks are the best team in the competition. Indeed, if they do thrash them it's likely they'll win the competition anyway, so you could objectively say they were the best team then regardless ;)

Whether or not you think you would've won shouldn't influence your views. You didn't win, that's the only fact with regards to that match. It's not like the All Blacks were awarded a try in the last minute off a forward pass, the cards didn't directly lead to the outcome. I'm not suggesting the Springboks wouldn't have won regardless of the cards, but you just can't say with all certainty that they would've won had it not been for the cards (at least, you can't logically suggest this). I'll be charitable here and say it was evenly matched, which leaves this match in South Africa as the deciding point. That being said, a win for the Boks doesn't necessarily mean they're better, because they have the home advantage. Unless the Springboks comprehensively thrash the All Blacks, it'd be ridiculous to assert that the Springboks are the best team in the competition. Indeed, if they do thrash them it's likely they'll win the competition anyway, so you could objectively say they were the best team then regardless ;)

Bismarck's first yellow card resulted in a penalty, from which the All Blacks scored a try from the penalty... so actually, it did have an influence.

We just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure all the NZ'ers will agree with you, and all the Saffas will agree with me...

Eh?

Bismarck's first yellow card resulted in a penalty, from which the All Blacks scored a try from the penalty... so actually, it did have an influence.

We just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure all the NZ'ers will agree with you, and all the Saffas will agree with me...

That's basically it.

Look, it was a ****ty call and no one can argue that it didn't effect the competition even now (with BP's playing a MASSIVE role). On the other hand no one can say it did effect the game because no-one has interdimensional sight or something to that effect (probably) to see what was the result in that parallel universe of wonderful competence and parity. I do find it quite hilarious to read NZers saying the call had no effect though. That said I we don't win the tournament (we have to win the game in the first place as well though) I'll say we have only ourselves to blame though for not securing the BP last week when we had the rub of it; it's just that edge and accuracy we lack still. So at this stage advantage NZ and i am patiently awaiting a good spectacle of rugby (hopefully this time we get it) on Saturday.

Latest posts