• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Argentina vs. New Zealand in La Plata (28/09/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

Estadio Ciudad de La Plata, La Plata (28/09/2013, 23:00 GMT)
Argentina.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
New Zealand.png

Referee: Jaco Peyper
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

Assistants: Wayne Barnes
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
& Leighton Hodges
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Television match official: Deon van Blommestein
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

Argentina
TBD

New Zealand
TBD

I'm not sure it's the right game to play that back three... You can't help but feel that Phelan is just playing the "I tried it and didn't work" card.

I'm not sure it's the right game to play that back three... You can't help but feel that Phelan is just playing the "I tried it and didn't work" card.

He's playing the "I am rotating and targeting the next game card" actually. Carizza, Contepomi and possibly a couple others should return for the game in Rosario. I don't see what's wrong with the back three either, Amorosino has a good record against the top sides and Agulla has done the grand total of bugger all out wide in this tournament. It won't make a difference to the result anyway, this isn't a game Argentina can win.

Last edited:
Albacete back, and some changes for Arg:
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8938369,00.html

What in the world can we expect from this one ??...
I'm going to say All-Blacks by 14...

Write the squad in the thread, bud

The Pumas:

15 Juan Martin Hernandez, 14 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Santiago Fernandez, 11 Juan Imhoff, 10 Nicolas Sanchez, 9 Martin Landajo, 8 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 7 Pablo Matera, 6 Juan Fernandez Lobbe (captain), 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Julio Farias Cabello, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Eusebio Guinazu, 1 Marcos Ayerza.

Replacements:

16 Agustin Creevy, 17 Nahuel Lobo, 18 Juan Pablo Orlandi, 19 Mariano Galarza, 20 Benjamín Macome, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Felipe Contepomi, 23 Horacio Agulla.

Thank god Albacete is back, our line outs were a complete disaster without him.

The only change I could make to this team is Creevy for Guinazu because he tends to brainfart really often. Also, start the game with Contepomi instead of Fernandez could be nice too.

Aside from those little changes, I guess this is our best team. Lucas Gonzalez Amorisino deserved to play more minutes, so his inclusion on the team is not that bad, at least for me.

The only change I could make to this team is Creevy for Guinazu because he tends to brainfart really often. Also, start the game with Contepomi instead of Fernandez could be nice too.

Aside from those little changes, I guess this is our best team. Lucas Gonzalez Amorisino deserved to play more minutes, so his inclusion on the team is not that bad, at least for me.

Contepomi is just rested like he was for the last NZ game as well. Carizza would certainly be in the Pumas best team as well and should return to the side in Rosario. Argentina are rotating a little bit this year. The theory is that in playing virtually the same team throughout last year they ran out of gas by the final couple of matches and delivered a flat performance at home to Australia, which was the most winnable game.

This year through injuries and rotation. Only 4 players at this stage have started every game. Last year they only made 2/3 changes throughout the whole tournament.

Not sure about the best XV. Gonzalo Camacho is probably our best wing. Imhoff may have more potential, but nowadays i believe Camacho is the best we have. Carizza is a starter, probably he is being rested for the must-win game against the wallabies. Guiñazu vs Creevy is a close one, but personally i would give the edge to Creevy.

Not sure about the best XV. Gonzalo Camacho is probably our best wing. Imhoff may have more potential, but nowadays i believe Camacho is the best we have. Carizza is a starter, probably he is being rested for the must-win game against the wallabies. Guiñazu vs Creevy is a close one, but personally i would give the edge to Creevy.

Well I meant the best team we can use right now, of course Camacho is a better option than Imhoff but sadly he's injured. If he wasn't, he would start for sure.

Totally forgot about Carizza. You're right on that one.

What's everyone's thoughts for the AB team?

Interesting selections will be at:
10 - my guess is Cruden to start if fit - Barrett on the bench.
6 - Tricky one as it looks like Messam will be open side cover so will they play him off the bench? Thinking he will start and switch over to 7 when Luatua comes on 2nd half.
2 - Wondering if they will revert back to Horey after Coles didn't set the world alight last game?

Any other contentious positions?

My guess:

New Zealand:1.Tony Woodcock, 2.Andrew Hore, 3.Owen Franks, 4.Brodie Retallick, 5.Samuel Whitelock, 6.Liam Messam, 7.Sam Cane, 8.Kieran Read (captain), 9.Aaron Smith, 10.Aaron Cruden, 11.Julian Savea, 12.Ma'a Nonu, 13.Conrad Smith, 14.Ben Smith, 15.Israel Dagg.

Reserves: 16.Dane Coles 17.Wyatt Crockett, 18.Ben Franks, 19.Jeremy Thrush, 20.Steven Luatua, 21.Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22.Beauden Barrett, 23.Charles Piutau.

I'd like to see Kerr-Barlow and possibly Piutau get starts. Kerr-Barlow in particular hasn't had a it of chances in his time with the AB's, and on the EOYT well need to develop Perenara too so it's a good time to give TKB a run.

I'd like to see Kerr-Barlow and possibly Piutau get starts. Kerr-Barlow in particular hasn't had a it of chances in his time with the AB's, and on the EOYT well need to develop Perenara too so it's a good time to give TKB a run.

I think in many circumstances those guys would get a run here, but in the context of the RC it is imperative the ABs get a bonus point here so I think they will start their best team...whatever that is?

My team:

1 Woodcock
2 Andrew Hore
3 Owen Franks
4 Brodie Retallick
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Liam Messam
7 Steven Luatua
8 Kieran Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Ben Smith
15 Israel Dagg

My team:

1 Woodcock
2 Andrew Hore
3 Owen Franks
4 Brodie Retallick
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Liam Messam
7 Steven Luatua
8 Kieran Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Ben Smith
15 Israel Dagg

You can't put yourself on the team...trickster!

Well I meant the best team we can use right now, of course Camacho is a better option than Imhoff but sadly he's injured. If he wasn't, he would start for sure.

Imhoff is better than Camacho. I'd thought that the great finish to skin Halfpenny last November would have confirmed this, certainly none of the Pumas other wingers would have got remotely near scoring that try. However sadly not and the general Argentine fan still obsess about gutsiness over talent. Hopefully whoever the new foreign coach who is appointed can bring an attitude and culture change into a winning one and stop boasting about spirited defeats to the All Blacks when they should be focusing on fixing their current losing records against the likes of Ireland, Scotland, Australia and England, sides they are capable of beating yet have so often lost to under Phelan.

Imhoff is better than Camacho. I'd thought that the great finish to skin Halfpenny last November would have confirmed this, certainly none of the Pumas other wingers would have got remotely near scoring that try. However sadly not and the general Argentine fan still obsess about gutsiness over talent. Hopefully whoever the new foreign coach who is appointed can bring an attitude and culture change into a winning one and stop boasting about spirited defeats to the All Blacks when they should be focusing on fixing their current losing records against the likes of Ireland, Scotland, Australia and England, sides they are capable of beating yet have so often lost to under Phelan.

Ok, he's probably our best finisher, but he lost his arms at tackle time.

Ok, he's probably our best finisher, but he lost his arms at tackle time.

If both players were Argentine. The Pumas would probably think that Sean Lamont is the better player than Shane Williams. For a side that has struggled to get over the winning line of late, I would rather have my match winner in the lineup.

The defence question isn't as yes/no as some make out either, he can deal fine with players running straight at him, it's in open space and chasing tackles that he flaps his arms too much and doesn't use enough shoulder. The defence as yet has never actually as yet been exposed in international rugby either.

My team:

1 Woodcock
2 Andrew Hore
3 Owen Franks
4 Brodie Retallick
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Liam Messam
7 Steven Luatua
8 Kieran Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Ben Smith
15 Israel Dagg

Luatua has not and never will be an openside flanker. Messam can cover there - but he's hardly as good there as Sam Cane.

Luatua has not and never will be an openside flanker. Messam can cover there - but he's hardly as good there as Sam Cane.
Yeah I was trying to figure out the logic with that one....Barrett over Cruden I don't get either.

My team id lik to see:
1. Tony woodcock
2. Dane coles
3. Owen franks
4. Brodie retallick
5. Sam whitelock
6. Steven luatua
7. Sam cane
8. Kieran read
9. Aaron smith
10. Aaron cruden
11. Julian savea