2013 Team overviews

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
SupeRugby 2013 Team overviews

An aquintence of mine in the wine industry (www.getwine.co.za) is holding something of a pick-the-result competition.

I thought I'd share his team overviews as they come out as I think they are generally good reads.

Entry fees and cash prizes available. For those interested post here. I'll inform you as to the costs when I know. Last year was R300. Top 30% are in the money.

Pretty simpleYou get a point for predicting the winner and an extra point for predicting an away winner. You get 2 wild cards rounds where your points are double which you can activate any time before that round.

Last edited:
Let’s look at the Bulls

The Bulls 2012 season was to this great franchise what Wayne Player was to the Player legacy, a bit of a disappointment. With so much success in years gone by, expectations are naturally very high when it comes to this team, but the relative failure of last year, like Wayne Player, was to be expected.

Major losses in key player ranks and an awkward rebuilding process with a captain that doesn’t really lead from the front, all meant that the Bulls were farting against a Cape south-easter. The big question now is though, will they fare any better this year with their 2013 SupeRugby campaign?
Now when I say failure, they still made the playoffs last year, a success for most lesser teams. But making the playoffs in SupeRugby nowadays is like coming right at an end of year work function, it isn’t that hard if you bring any sort of game. They were never ***le hopefuls though despite a good start to the season, and the mind naturally goes forward to what they need to do in order to be actual threats from this year forward.
STRENGTHS
Bulls have a history of scoring big points. Even last year when things weren’t so great they scored 30+ points in 8 of their 18 matches including a 61-8 drubbing of the Reds. When they have the momentum, the opposition get the bruises, one dimensional game plan or not. Their forward pack fronts up to the challenge and their backs are consistent at crossing the game line â€" simple as that.
Add some fresh young talent to this core, and the Bulls could be a very dangerous team with some momentum.
WEAKNESSES
When plan A doesn’t work out, then the no.2 hits the fan. Against a strong pack they become hugely vulnerable and resort to the kicking game more and more which means they see little ball. As rugby has evolved a whole bunch in the past few years, this then means that most teams can now beat them as they are focused on making things happen with the ball (New Zealand teams are best example of this).
Much of this comes down to who is leading the charge. Morne Steyn had a year to forget last year and could well be on the wrong side of the hill now. You get a guy who struggles in the pivotal no.10 position, you have problems, especially if the all-important forward platform is under pressure. The Bulls midfield is also a huge concern with the likely pairing of Olivier and Mapoe unlikely to trouble too many defenses. So with your 10,12,13 channel under pressure, you could have a rugby version of Usain Bolt filling all positions in your back three and it won’t make a difference â€" you’re in kak.
I also question the leadership of Pierre Spies, the Lord’s prayer and some tape around the ears may tick a few boxes when watching on TV, but in a tournament as hard and fast as this, someone is going to need to get their hands dirty up front and make things happen.
SCHEDULE
Travel and its demands are a big factor in this tournament â€" just as the Sharks. A team’s schedule has a lot to do with how they will fair in the competition, and by in large the Bull’s one is pretty shitty.
BYE
Feb 22 â€" Stormers (h)
Mar 2 â€" Force (h)
Mar 10 â€" Blues (a)
Mar 16 â€" Crusaders (a)
Mar 23 â€" Reds (a)
Mar 30 â€" Brumbies (a)
BYE
Apr 13 â€" Cheetahs (h)
Apr 20 â€" Kings (a)
Apr 27 â€" Waratahs (h)
May 4 â€" Hurricanes (h)
BYE
May 18 â€" Highlanders (h)
May 25 â€" Sharks (a)
June 1 â€" Cheetahs (a)
BYE â€" International break
June 29 â€" Kings (h)
July 6 â€" Sharks (h)
July 13 â€" Stormers (a)
Stormers first up then Crusaders, Reds and Brumbies on the road. We spoke about momentum being a key factor to their success, well it will be a difficult thing to find with this start.
SQUAD
The Bulls benefited from the Lions SupeRugby fallout to the tune of four more than handy players. On the other side of the balance sheet they lost CJ Stander and Johan Sadie, but they didn’t really care too much about the latter.
Forwards:
Dean Greyling, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Werner Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Juandre’ Kruger, Arno Botha, Jacques Potgieter, Pierre Spies, Marcel van der Merwe, Dawie Steyn, Willie Wepener, Calie Visagie, Bongi Mbonambi, Dewald Potgieter, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Grant Hattingh, Paul Willemse, Shaun Adendorff, Wiaan Liebenberg, Frik Kirsten.
Backs:
Francois Hougaard, Morne Steyn, Bjorn Basson, Wynand Olivier, Lionel Mapoe, JJ Engelbrecht, Zane Kirchner, Akona Ndungane, Francois Venter, Jan Serfontein, Jano Vermaak, Louis Fouche’, Jurgen Visser, William Small-Smith, Handre’ Pollard, Tony Jantjies, Travis Ismaiel, Lohan Jacobs.
FINAL ASSESSMENT
Another year in the growing phase for the Bulls. They have a new coaching dynamic coming in with the inclusion of Derick Hougaard and Victor Matfield, and they too, just like the new players, will need a bit of room to settle within this new structure and will find it tough particularly in the beginning of the season.
With big things expected from the Highlanders this year, and the other usual suspects no doubt also being in the playoff mix, the Bulls are destine to finish 3rd in the SA conference again, but this time playoff rugby won’t come with that placing

I'm in - like these kind of games
Already playing in a few big money pools on SuperBru as well

I'm in - like these kind of games
Already playing in a few big money pools on SuperBru as well

I'll let you know as soon as everything is a go.

Essentially you make a deposit and give them your e-mail adress and the organizers send you a link and password to play along.

We do this at my job as well..

But we get one point for picking the winning team and an extra point for picking the correct margin, 2 extra points on top for picking all the winning teams of that round and 5 extra points for picking all teams and margins for the round..

I won it last year and copped 380 dollars.

This year the pot is $460.. I have my eye on the prize again.

We do this at my job as well..

But we get one point for picking the winning team and an extra point for picking the correct margin, 2 extra points on top for picking all the winning teams of that round and 5 extra points for picking all teams and margins for the round..

I won it last year and copped 380 dollars.

This year the pot is $460.. I have my eye on the prize again.

WOW. Has that ever happened? I'd say give that man the whole prize pool then and there.

I forgot that there is 2 extra points for picking all outcomes correctly. I only managed this twice last year :( I find I am useless at rating Aussie teams.

Die Groentjies (THE KINGS)

Say what you want about this team, but they are playing Super Rugby this year. Personally I would have preferred the Lions to be there and for this side to have made it into the tournament only on merit, but that debate is done.

Welcome to the process – we've got fun and games.

But you have to feel sorry for these guys, SARU 'giving' them is spot is about as good as getting Joseph Fritzel to babysit your kid. You tick a box to a certain degree, but they are destine for the basement with no hopes of getting out.
In our two previous previews for the Bulls and Stormers, we showcased the pros and cons of the team. We drew on past performances to asses how they will compete going forward, and even considered Currie Cup efforts in formulating our view on where they will finish on the log.
The Kings naturally have none of this for us to critique, not even Currie Cup because the league they play in consists mostly of panel beaters, club bouncers and kids who didn't do so great at Craven Week. But let's have a go.

STRENGTHS
They are in the tournament. They won't be effected by the international break.
WEAKNESSES
Lacking star quality, player depth, tournament experience, experience. Reliant on foreigners who can't all play, have never toured down under as a team… Ya, you get the point.
SCHEDULE
Their first game of the tournament is a dream one, the Force at home. From there though, oh dear…
BYE
Feb 23 – Force (a)
BYE
Mar 9 – Sharks (h)
Mar 15 – Chiefs (h)
Mar 23 – Crusaders (a)
Mar 30 – Hurricanes (a)
Apr 5 – Brumbies (a)
Apr 13 – Rebels (a)
Apr 20 – Bulls (h)
Apr 27 – Cheetahs (a)
May 4 – Waratahs (h)
May 11 – Highlanders (h)
BYE
May 25 – Cheetahs (h)
June 1 – Stormers (a)
BYE – International break
June 29 – Bulls (a)
July 6 – Stormers (h)
July 13 – Sharks (a)
Poor ******** have a rough schedule with one of their byes coming as early as the third round. This means they play 10 consecutive games. Talk about being kicked when you are down.

SQUAD
Forwards
Schalk Ferreira, Bandise Maku, Ross Geldenhuys, David Bulbring, Steven Sykes, Luke Watson, Daniel Adongo, Tomas Leonardi, Hannes Franklin, Edgar Marutlulle, Kevin Buys, Charl du Plessis, Cornell du Preez, Jaco Engels, Wayne van Heerden, Armand du Preez, Jacques Engelbrecht, Mpho Mbiyozo, Wimpie van der Walt.

Backs
Nicolas Vergallo, Demetri Catrakilis, Michael Killian, Andries Strauss, Waylon Murray, Ronnie Cooke, Hadleigh Parkes, Wesley Dunlop, Burton Francis, Ntabeni Dukisa, George Whitehead, Elric van Vuuren, Siyanda Grey, Tiger Mangweni, SP Marais, Wayne Stevens, Sergeal Petersen, Marcello Sampson, Mzwandile Stick, Scott Mathie, Shaun Venter.

FINAL ASSESSMENT
Lions to beat them in the playoff/relegation match and return them to the wilderness. Political **** storm to kick off with the blame game and race card played for eternity.

Force are looking kak - but still better than 2012.

Force are looking kak - but still better than 2012.

I was wondering about the Force. Would this be a relatively fair crack at the strarting XV?

P Cowan
N Charles
S Ma'afu
S Wykes
H McMeniman
B McCalman
M Hodgson
R Brown

A Mathewson
S Ebersohn

A Mafi
N Cummins
W Stanley
E Stubbs
S Norton-Knight

Sharpe's loss is offset with McMeniman (whom I rate quite highly), Pocock is a big loss but you can't build a team around him. The big plus is you actually have a legitimate 9-10 combination which you didn't have last year. Mathewson is a very good 9 and the type of 9 to enable Ebersohn who is much better than his performances last year suggest. Hopefully with regular game time (and not warming the bench behind Goosen) lets Sias get his confidence back.

I know I've listed Cummins out of position but I don't rate your other centers and think Cummins is the type of winger that might thrive at 12 especially with play-makers like Ebersohn and Stanley on either side of him.

Last edited:
Stormers

We, the South African rugby public, are treated to a vast amount of clichés each year: game of two halves, looking to give 110%, take each game as it comes, the best team on the day got the win… but one that has probably topped the pile of late has been – a win is a win. And we have the Stormers to thank for that.

Points mean prizes. Well, most of the time.

In 2012 the Stormers finished on top of the log, but as many would point out in all of .3 of a second, they did that by playing boring 'win at all costs rugby'. Sounds like sour Sharks grapes, but there are many (me included) that feel the win at all costs approach is what ultimately made them lose in semis, and even the reason why they are yet to have a SupeRugby ***le to their name. So the question for 2013 is, have they grown in stature from getting so close and can they now get the cigar?
Well I am just going to kick off by answering that question with a yes, and I do so for two obvious factors: Greater talent depth in the squad and WP winning the 2012 Currie Cup. If they can top the SupeRugby log by essentially just hanging on and kicking their points, it's only natural to think they can win it with renewed belief and greater player stocks. SupeRugby is becoming like the NFL, the greater the squad, the greater your chances of winning, and the Stormers squad for 2013 has backups everywhere.

The crucial turning point?

STRENGTHS
Defense. They conceded just 21 tries during the league stage of the 2012 competition, 9 fewer than the second best defensive team the Chiefs. A defensive structure is a great thing to build a team upon, and with it being a pillar of strength for quite a while with this team, the attempts to create more attacking options will not compromise it.
Star quality. A glance at a possible starting XV will make the opposition green with envy, and when you think of the quality that won't always get a game, the Stormers look to be a force to be reckoned with throughout the long and drawn out campaign.
Dealing with pressure. The Stormers have the ability to soak up a great deal of pressure and frustrate their opponents. This composure which has been developed over the past few years will stand them in good stead this year as they look to make that leap from ***le contenders to ***le holders.
The Schalk factor. After missing an entire year of rugby last year, Schalk Burger's return to the team as captain is a major one. Not only does he bolster the loose forward area which was running a little skinny last year, but it also adds even more fire to an already dangerous pack of forwards. With Schalk leading the charge, look for this team to play with a lot more purpose than last year, something that will naturally result in more tries.
I do feel for the poor sod who tries to run past Schalk in the opening game, they'll have 11 months of built up rugby frustration delivered upon them in a heartbeat.
WEAKNESSES
Naturally a team that prides itself on defense will have shortcomings in attack. The general feeling is that once the Stormers get behind, they just don't have the capabilities to score and chase the game. This however won't be as big a weakness as before, meaning this team doesn't really have much in the weakness column.
Weight of expectation. With so much going for them and a series of near misses, nothing less than a win will do for the Stormers in 2013, and this in itself could be an unnecessary and distracting pressure.
SCHEDULE
The Stormers schedule looks to be a decent one. A very tough start with Bulls and Sharks away with the Chiefs following at home, but they will no doubt see this as an ideal opportunity to start their ***le campaign in the best possible way with three big scalps.
BYE
Feb 22 – Bulls (a)
Mar 2 – Sharks (a)
Mar 9 – Chiefs (h)
BYE
Mar 23 – Brumbies (h)
Mar 30 – Crusaders (h)
Apr 6 – Cheetahs (a)
Apr 13 – Sharks (h)
BYE
Apr 26 – Hurricanes (a)
May 3 – Blues (a)
May 11 – Waratahs (a)
May 17 – Rebels (a)
May 25 – Reds (h)
June 1 – Kings (h)
BYE – International break
June 29 – Cheetahs (h)
July 6 – Kings (a)
July 13 – Bulls (h)
In the Hurricanes, Blues, Waratahs and Rebels they also don't exactly have the toughest of tour fixtures down under. When you again consider the greater player depth they have this year, they will be even stronger on the road than before, an ominous sign for their opponents when you consider their touring record last year. Then at the end and in between the international break they get the Cheetahs at home as well as the Kings home and away, so the opportunity to finish strong is with them here too.
SQUAD
Forwards
Steven Kitshoff, Tiaan Liebenberg, Pat Cilliers, Eben Etzebeth, Andries Bekker, Schalk Burger, Siya Kolisi, Duane Vermeulen, Deon Carstens, Brok Harris, Frans Malherbe, Deon Fourie, Scarra Ntubeni (Martin Bezuidenhout), De Kock Steenkamp, Ruan Botha, Rynhardt Elstadt, Don Armand, Michael Rhodes, Nizaam Carr.
Backs
Nic Groom, Elton Jantjies, Bryan Habana, Jean de Villiers, Juan de Jongh, Gio Aplon, Jaco Taute, Dewaldt Duvenhague, Louis Schreuder, Peter Grant, Kurt Coleman, Gary van Aswegen, Tim Swiel, Gerhard van den Heever, Damian de Allende, Marcel Brache, Kobus van Wyk, JP du Plessis, Pat Howard, Joe Pietersen.
FINAL ASSESSMENT
Previously the Stormers have had a lot of smoke blown up their assess when it wasn't always deserved. Going into 2013 however, they are real money favorites for the ***le. No, I'm not talking about the SA Conference ***le, I'm talking the big kahuna. Injuries have stunted this team in the past, and in many ways the predictable game plan has been one born out of sheer survival. But here is a team that is stronger than ever, and with a bulk of the players still on the up and up prime wise, the small fine tuning needed to make that next step up is one that is destined to happen.

Latest posts