• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Player of the Year

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 3 2009, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 30 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 30 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, McCaw was injured at the start of the Tri-Nations. I think he only played in 1 of the 3 losses to the Boks.[/b]
Nope I actually thought that myself but I looked it up (again just now) and he played every one. He may have missed an earlier game over Australia but he was on the team sheet for all three of the SA losses and the loss to France.[/b][/quote]

Righto, my mistake.

[/b][/quote]

He was not playing in the earlier loss to France. So no apology needed for that part.

Nate's blog I've read a couple of days ago. Biased journalism via a massive Ireland fan? I mean aside from McCaw, he spends 99% of the article on about O'Driscoll and 1 brief comment about du Preez.

Steve-o the whole rugby world is not going WTF over this. You are South African, it's called reading your own news. I googled 100's of news articles on it. Many cries of "foul", all bar one I could find was from Dublin, Pretoria or another part of either country. The French press are fine with it, New Zealand (obviously), most English, nearly all Australian news. Didn't see much welsh stuff. Hardly the whole world. Just because you said so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Dec 1 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Were NZ supporters so pathetic? No, Shane Williams is a fine player and we got over it.[/b]

Lol. To be fair, i don't think anyone got over it as quickly as you're hinting.
The welsh clinged onto it with great pride and everyone else pretty much said how McCaw should have won it. That's how i seem to remember it.
But fair play to McCaw, he's a fine player.

This conversation is identical to the Ireland vs South Africa topic. Were all riding around on our high horses spouting shite that the others arent listening too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 3 2009, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Dec 2 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 2 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the comments being posted it seems like a lot of justification is needed for this award to make sense.

IMO the IRB have done the award's reputation damage with this decision. Honestly. WTF.[/b]

I think there's so many people blinded by their own country that they don't realise that an expert panel picked the man. Not a bunch of whinging TRF'ers. It's been a disgrace the way some people have reacted to this.

[/b][/quote]
Oh this is most definitely not isolated to TRF, the whole rugby world said "WTF?!" with us. Go to any forum, rugby website, etc, and you'll get same reaction from the general rugby community.
[/b][/quote]
Because ignorence is uncommon among many people on the internet, and their opinions should be considered over that of a panel of judges the IRB chose.

Stop crying and get over it. O'Driscol and du Preez seemed favouries and the result didn't go with them on the day. Do we need a "This is bull sh*t" approach from every decision that dosen't go the way of the home country. And yes, the whole world is up and arms about it, which is why South African and Irish members have dominated the negative posts on this topic...

At the beginning I thought it was between O'Driscol and du Preez, and McCaw winning was a nice suprise, however had he not win, I would have held myself with a bit more dignity then many members from Ireland and South Africa are. This isn't against you specifically Steve-o, it is just the attitude of many posters, especially towards anything New Zealand, is getting really negative and on my nerves.

I'm not being dramatic or anything, but BOD not winning player of the year is the worst thing that's ever happened to rugby ever. I'm so indignant that I mite even boycott the announcement of next years winner. I'll block my ears and close my eyes. Or maybe I'll change channel! Could this injustice be the end of Rugby?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (go on the irish @ Dec 4 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not being dramatic or anything, but BOD not winning player of the year is the worst thing that's ever happened to rugby ever. I'm so indignant that I mite even boycott the announcement of next years winner. I'll block my ears and close my eyes. Or maybe I'll change channel! Could this injustice be the end of Rugby?[/b]

Yes! I'm repping this guy. An irishman who I get the feeling is probably not too pleased O'Driscoll didn't get it, but can at least have a sense of humor and move on. A rare creature indeed, we should have him stuffed! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 3 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 3 2009, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Dec 2 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 2 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the comments being posted it seems like a lot of justification is needed for this award to make sense.

IMO the IRB have done the award's reputation damage with this decision. Honestly. WTF.[/b]

I think there's so many people blinded by their own country that they don't realise that an expert panel picked the man. Not a bunch of whinging TRF'ers. It's been a disgrace the way some people have reacted to this.

[/b][/quote]
Oh this is most definitely not isolated to TRF, the whole rugby world said "WTF?!" with us. Go to any forum, rugby website, etc, and you'll get same reaction from the general rugby community.
[/b][/quote]
Because ignorence is uncommon among many people on the internet, and their opinions should be considered over that of a panel of judges the IRB chose.

Stop crying and get over it. O'Driscol and du Preez seemed favouries and the result didn't go with them on the day. Do we need a "This is bull sh*t" approach from every decision that dosen't go the way of the home country. And yes, the whole world is up and arms about it, which is why South African and Irish members have dominated the negative posts on this topic...

At the beginning I thought it was between O'Driscol and du Preez, and McCaw winning was a nice suprise, however had he not win, I would have held myself with a bit more dignity then many members from Ireland and South Africa are. This isn't against you specifically Steve-o, it is just the attitude of many posters, especially towards anything New Zealand, is getting really negative and on my nerves.
[/b][/quote]

I couldn't agree more with this!! If either of the other two players mention won this award I certainly would not be reacting likes this I would be congratulating the winners rather than this rubbish!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 3 2009, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Best article on the web about this whole topic:
http://theofficialnaterowlanblog.blogspot....joke-right.html[/b]

Again these are the negative opinions of NH(Ireland) so BOD had a good year as captain but the record of wins should not be counted as there are 21 other players in that squad that helped win those matchs this is based on individual performance isn't it!?

Well to be honest it kinda was based on BOD's individual performances. I'm over it now though. Roll on 2010!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (go on the irish @ Dec 4 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Watch out New Zealanders! There's a facebook group saying O'Driscoll should have won player of the year and it has over 2,500 members.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#...42896487?ref=ts

You better enjoy that trophy while you can McCaw, because it looks like a certain Irishman is about to take it off your hands!!

http://www.irishrugby.ie/images/news/odris...og_mccaw_06.jpg[/b]

HAHAHAHAHA!! And the first person I see on this facebook page is a bloody irishman that came to NZ to play rugby for the club I play for so we played together Bloody Bryan Donnelly!! lol!! And he is trying to get residance here!! lol!!

Thank goodness this has taken a bit more of a humorous slant now. It's fine to be upset for a while, but life goes on. Unless your in the facebook group! :)

D'Arcy's trying every trick in the book I see! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Dec 3 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (go on the irish @ Dec 4 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Watch out New Zealanders! There's a facebook group saying O'Driscoll should have won player of the year and it has over 2,500 members.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#...42896487?ref=ts

You better enjoy that trophy while you can McCaw, because it looks like a certain Irishman is about to take it off your hands!!

http://www.irishrugby.ie/images/news/odris...og_mccaw_06.jpg[/b]

HAHAHAHAHA!! And the first person I see on this facebook page is a bloody irishman that came to NZ to play rugby for the club I play for so we played together Bloody Bryan Donnelly!! lol!! And he is trying to get residance here!! lol!!
[/b][/quote]

Bryan's been hired by the IRFU to go undercover and steal back O'Driscoll's award

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Dec 3 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thank goodness this has taken a bit more of a humorous slant now. It's fine to be upset for a while, but life goes on. Unless your in the facebook group! :)

D'Arcy's trying every trick in the book I see! :lol:[/b]
Gordon D'arcy got chased out of Wexford for playing the foreign game... and have a stupid ass name.

Latest posts