• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Player of the Year

W

wayner

Who deserves to be player of the year for 2009? There are still a few months remaining but the bulk of the major events have been concluded. You could make a strong case for one of the Boks given their strong performance but what one player has really stood out - Morne Steyn? Victor Madfield? Or perhaps someone like Brian O'Driscoll who accomplished a Grand Slam and Heineken Cup in the year.

Fourie du Preez makes a strong case. I would say the candidates that may be in the running are.

South Africa: Have had a very strong year in rugby, most likley a SA player will get the award.
Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Bryan Habana (probebly not twice though)
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Australia: Little chance to be honest.
Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

New Zealand: Not a great year for NZ so very unlikley a player will be chosen, especially considering key players haven't really stepped up.
Mils Muliaina
Richie McCaw (Has actually performed pretty well, but hasn't been with a winning team)
Comrad Smith

Ireland: May have a chance of a player selected, but I wouldn't rate anyone's chances too highly
Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

Other then those players, I can't see anyone else realistically taking the award. Maybe some others but none that, in my opinion, will be up for the running.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fourie du Preez makes a strong case. I would say the candidates that may be in the running are.

South Africa: Have had a very strong year in rugby, most likley a SA player will get the award.
Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

New Zealand: Not a great year for NZ so very unlikley a player will be chosen, especially considering key players haven't really stepped up.
Mils Muliaina
Richie McCaw (Has actually performed pretty well, but hasn't been with a winning team)
Comrad Smith

Ireland: May have a chance of a player selected, but I wouldn't rate anyone's chances too highly
Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

Other then those players, I can't see anyone else realistically taking the award. Maybe some others but none that, in my opinion, will be up for the running.[/b]

That analysis is far too reasonable. It actually makes sense, which is something that these awards are at odds with.

In 2008 Richie McCaw got a few games in with the ANZC winning cantabs, then captained the Crusaders to the Super 14 ***le, then captained the allblacks to the Bledisloe and Trinations. He then captained NZ to a Grandslam in which none of the home nations could score a single try, every game was a thrashing (bar plucky munster).

So obviously the 2008 player of the year was Shane Williams. Richie McCaw didnt even get a nomination, Ryan Jones did though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

Mils Muliaina
Comrad Smith

Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

Other then those players, I can't see anyone else realistically taking the award. Maybe some others but none that, in my opinion, will be up for the running.[/b]

That analysis is far too reasonable. It actually makes sense, which is something that these awards are at odds with.

In 2008 Richie McCaw got a few games in with the ANZC winning cantabs, then captained the Crusaders to the Super 14 ***le, then captained the allblacks to the Bledisloe and Trinations. He then captained NZ to a Grandslam in which none of the home nations could score a single try, every game was a thrashing (bar plucky munster).

So obviously the 2008 player of the year was Shane Williams. Richie McCaw didnt even get a nomination, Ryan Jones did though.
[/b][/quote]
LOL, very good call! Suitable amount of sarcasm as well :lol: :bravo:

Fourie du Preez by a country mile!He has been performing consistantly good for a couple of seasons now and is widely regarded as the best scrum half in the world.He really had great season in the Super14, Lions Tour and Tri-Nations so I really can't see anyone else other than him winning this award.

Yeah i agree, Du Preez's had so much influence in all comps that the Boks and Bulls won.

Brian O'Driscoll is in with a good chance too, leading Ireland to a first Grandslam in 61 years and leading Leinster to a first ever Heineken Cup. And he did well for the Lions as well.

I love how people from other countries all ways back their player being "the best of the year".

well the performances in the AIs will clinch it, I'd imagine it's between Du Preez and O'Driscoll at the moment, with Du Preez just edging it at the moment. Either way I don't think there can be any complaints if one of them is given it as both have produced outstanding performances consistently throughout the year.

As everyone else has said, it's between O'Driscoll and Du Preez. The fact that O'Driscoll has been a majour part of two historic ***le captures this year could edge it his favour. As Munster Man said, Irelands first Grand Slam in 61 years and a first HC win for Leinster could edge it in his favour.

Jamie Roberts could get nominated for his man of the tour performances out in SA for the Lions, but won't win.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 13 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The fact that O'Driscoll has been a majour part of two historic ***le captures this year could edge it his favour.[/b]

Du Preez has won the Super14, A Lions Series, and the Tri-Nations. So it will be interesting...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Oct 13 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 13 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that O'Driscoll has been a majour part of two historic ***le captures this year could edge it his favour.[/b]

Du Preez has won the Super14, A Lions Series, and the Tri-Nations. So it will be interesting...
[/b][/quote]

it's nothing to do with what they've won, it's the performances that they put in throughout the season, which were both outstanding, so it's a toss of a coin.

What about john smit? Truly an inspirational leader who continually manages to successfully juggle the agendas of interfering politicians and sports administrators, the demanding south african public and the undeniably massive (and until recently, very divisive) cultural differences of a Side who he has led to extraordinary heights over his career.

I wouldn't complain at all if he got it, I'm sure he would if the award was judged not solely on "on the field" performance. If not him, then Du Preez and O'Driscoll in third

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 13 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it's the performances that they put in throughout the season, which were both outstanding, so it's a toss of a coin.[/b]

I was just countering the fact that he said O'Driscol may have the upper hand thanks to the tournament wins he was involved in. Besides, it is always a more serious consideration if the team has achieved, rather than just the individual. Otherwise Sergio Parisse would have won it a couple of times...

Fourie du Preez edging O'Driscoll. No other nominations necessary.

But if I had to pick 5:

du Preez
O'Driscoll
Matfield
Roberts
Not really bothered. Anyone between Elsom/Giteau/McCaw/Conrad Smith/POC/Brussouw/Habana/Morne Steyn

Erm, Giteau probably even though Aus struggled this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 13 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Oct 13 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 13 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

it's nothing to do with what they've won, it's the performances that they put in throughout the season, which were both outstanding, so it's a toss of a coin.
[/b][/quote]
I just think that the historic nature of both championship wins will come into play. It's tough to ignore it. SA have won the Tri Nations plenty of times etc. Wheras last year truly was an increadible year for Ireland, the likes that's never happened before and is unlikely to happen again anytime soon. O'Dricaoll was at the heart of the majority of that success (bar Munster winning the ML), and the judges will be aware of that. The success of the team has always factored in the winning decision imo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

Mils Muliaina
Comrad Smith

Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

[/b][/quote]

Provincial and club competitions don't come into account with this award... internationals only...

Also, it's judged on form starting from LAST YEARS AI's through until the end of this years Tri Nations...

The reason why last years award was lacking in Southern Hemisphere representation was due to there being no EOYT because of the World Cup in 2007...

The upcoming tests won't come into account for this years award...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 13 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

Mils Muliaina
Comrad Smith

Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

[/b][/quote]

Provincial and club competitions don't come into account with this award... internationals only...

Also, it's judged on form starting from LAST YEARS Spring tour through until the end of this years Tri Nations...

The reason why last years award was lacking in Southern Hemisphere representation was due to there being no EOYT because of the World Cup in 2007...

[/b][/quote]

Fixed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

Mils Muliaina
Comrad Smith

Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

[/b][/quote]

Also, it's judged on form starting from LAST YEARS AI's through until the end of this years Tri Nations...

[/b][/quote]

Then why wasn't there such a lack of southern hemisphere players in the 2004 awards.. Either way i think its bullshit.

Mike Blair, Ryan Jones and Shane Williams in the top 5 players in the world? Just because there is no EOYT doesn't mean the Trinations ceases to be a recognised competition. Its the top 3 nations in the world

Latest posts